Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Babolat Pure Storm Tour: stripped/painted/weighted (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454723)

lawlaw 02-13-2013 08:00 PM

Babolat Pure Storm Tour: stripped/painted/weighted

En route to pick up supplies to get these frames to my liking. Far too many colour options makes deciding on one a little difficult. Went with flat black frames and cyan frames on my last efforts. Sadly they met their maker when, without warning, the court suddenly rushed towards me. Self-defense?

Black always looks solid, but white or a matte red would work well too. Will strip them first to see if the base material looks good enough to simply add a clear coat first. Yet to string them up or hit with them (ever) so it might get interesting. Will update as I go along.

lawlaw 02-15-2013 02:04 AM

Apologies for the delay. Chinese New Year = virtually all shops selling the equipment I need have been closed for a week. Managed to get sandpaper, working gloves, wire wool, face mask, paint brushes and masking tape at an international hardware store but they didn't have any paint stripper.

Ordering the rest online, hoping they can get it sent over in a day or so.

As a side note, went to view the new apartment we got and was AMAZED to discover a tennis court on the roof. Nobody told me, brilliant surprise! Might put a few tennis videos together on there once the frames are ready.

Hankenstein 02-15-2013 03:07 AM

I love this kind of threads! :) Waiting for your updates

lawlaw 02-15-2013 04:48 AM

With a stack of sandpaper within reach and no paint stripper to hand, I had no patience to wait and see what lay underneath the stock paint. Doesn't look very attractive so far so doubt I will leave them bare without repainting them. Still undecided on the colour however.

Phone camera not doing many favours. Will take some better snaps tomorrow.

mykoh 02-15-2013 07:04 AM

loving this thread already. any intentions on weighing the racquet before and after? (a little obsessive i know)

lawlaw 02-15-2013 07:41 AM

Can do. I've read virtually every thread on here regarding paintjobs, that seems to be the one thing most forget to do.

Seeing as I've not yet hit with this frame (bought in blind faith) or spent more than 15 mins with a Babolat frame before, it should be interesting. I haven't weighed my frames before, I've always gone by feel. I just cut off the lead tape and whack it on the frame until it feels right. From memory, I placed 4" strips of lead tape at 10.30 and 1.30. Two strips at each point, 8 in total per frame. This made the frames feel absolutely perfect.

Interestingly, I've dropped down a few grip sizes with these to an L4. After the last frames went to racquet heaven, I was left without frames for a month. I then hit with a horrible Babolat Pure Drive frame and it was an L3. Coming from an L6 it was a big, big difference. He also had a L3 Pro Staff 95 Classic and it allowed some incredible maneuverability. I was hitting shots I had previously set up to hit but couldn't execute consistently, mainly the delicate flicking passing shots and shots which required a lot more finesse. A lot of feel which I had unknowingly sacrificed through a large grip suddenly returned. So a smaller grip size with tacky overgrip was the way forward.

I used L6 in my playing days as the racquet would tend to fly out of my hand on my serve and that would be the end of it. The smaller grips felt great on the groundstrokes but didn't feel secure enough on serve, which was one of my main weapons, especially as an all-out serve-volley player. I had a match where I went through 4 frames in some seriously humid conditions. I came very close to not being able to finish that one due to only having taken 6 frames to the court. I played the last few games without flat serves to make sure I crossed the finish line. :D

A big benefit here is.. stringing costs $1.5-3. Tempted to load up with 17 gauge string now. ;)

lawlaw 02-15-2013 09:39 PM

Oh dear.. I do wish they only had three colours to choose from. Far too many options. :D

lawlaw 02-16-2013 04:06 AM

Narrowed down to six colours. Clear red, chrome yellow, racing green, racing white, lavender and olive. Left the decision to someone else otherwise I'll procrastinate forever. Paints ordered, should be here on Tuesday. Decided not to strip the frames completely, don't have the time or patience. I will sand the frames and apply primer instead. Extra weight on light frames like these can only be a good thing for me.

lawlaw 02-16-2013 06:50 AM

Not entirely sure how long I will use these Babolat frames as the idea of returning to my beloved pro staff original 85 has popped into my head this evening. I only changed frame when Wilson stopped issuing them to players. Now daydreaming about just how sweet they felt when gliding around the court to strike the ball..

Some brightly coloured PS Originals perhaps? :D

Bartelby 02-16-2013 02:32 PM

Emerald green, mustard yellow, burgundy and cobalt are fashionable. I'd try cobalt and burgundy.

lawlaw 02-19-2013 08:07 AM

Well, this is what happens when you leave a decision to woman, lovely as she is. "Choose one colour" I said. Neon green, neon orange and some shade of purple arrived in the post today. I will prep the frames tomorrow, spray the primer and see how they look before deciding if I will apply any of these colours. The only upside to being stuck with hideous looking frames is that the 6.0 Originals will arrive that much faster.

lawlaw 02-19-2013 11:24 PM

Thou shalt not get carried away and let third first coat dry before applying a second coat..

Seriously tempted to simply prime and gloss as they look glorious in this rough-looking white.

Pics to follow.

syke 02-19-2013 11:54 PM

You're in China?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawlaw (Post 7215356)
Apologies for the delay. Chinese New Year = virtually all shops selling the equipment I need have been closed for a week. Managed to get sandpaper, working gloves, wire wool, face mask, paint brushes and masking tape at an international hardware store but they didn't have any paint stripper.

Ordering the rest online, hoping they can get it sent over in a day or so.

As a side note, went to view the new apartment we got and was AMAZED to discover a tennis court on the roof. Nobody told me, brilliant surprise! Might put a few tennis videos together on there once the frames are ready.

lawlaw 02-20-2013 01:46 AM

What gave it away? Chinese New Year comment or the B&Q China bag? ;)

lawlaw 02-20-2013 02:13 AM

Here are a few shots of the work so far. As previously mentioned, I have no patience and no real need to strip the frames of paint completely (famous last words). I chose instead to rough up the surface and apply a few coats of primer to give me a base to work from.

Now the primer looks pretty sweet to me. With some black strings, the primer looks great as it is. A few more coats and some clear coat would probably be wise though. Will the other colours be used? Neon green, neon orange, purple? I wild mix of the three? I'm not entirely sure just yet. Tempted to spray one green just to see, but I'll need them to be all the same colour scheme if I do. OCD and all that.

lawlaw 02-20-2013 02:13 AM

syke 02-20-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawlaw (Post 7225896)
What gave it away? Chinese New Year comment or the B&Q China bag? ;)

The B&Q bag... lol...

SlowTiger 02-20-2013 06:06 PM

I have to ask... did u buy those pure storms in china?

lawlaw 02-20-2013 06:08 PM

Tarting around with these racquets is one thing, finding someone decent to play is another. The weather has also been awful for the last week. I may have to pick up a ball machine to ensure I can hit a few hundred balls each morning.

Well, day two of the spraying. I'll give the frames a light sand then add another coat of primer. Two of the three suffered paint drip due to me getting carried away yesterday. White still looks great, any good reason why I should try green, orange or purple?

Andyroo10567 02-20-2013 07:57 PM

I'll be waiting for the final product..... Good work so far. Though, i have to ask, but how come you didnt sand down straight to the Graphite or at least sand down the PJ that was already on there? Wouldn't that just increase the weight after you finish?