Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Mick Diary (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454733)

Mick3391 02-13-2013 10:25 PM

Mick Diary

I was told to do a diary of my son here, both for our sake and others.

Problem was when anything positive came up the stalker freaks had to chime in, makes you wonder what is in their closet.

I think this will be beneficial for me, my son, and others.

So I'm going to start with what I can remember, and know freaks that you will be ignored, I think many will get a kick out of this.

Mick3391 02-13-2013 10:35 PM

Trying to figure out when I joined. About June last year.

We went to Big 5, I bought the most rediculous cheap racquets, thought we could hit some balls. My son had no sport. Even though he's like me in almost every way he had no sport.

So with these cheap racquets, we hit, and of course he hit it out, net, no clue.

I wanted to serve, FIRST JUMP I torn my plantaris muscle.

Thing is he LOVED IT. We didn't just play once in awhile, but he wanted to play all the time, so I obliged.

I taught him what I knew, serve and volley, flat shots. Nothing magical with him, no prodigy here, but he had one shot, still does, it looks like a full swing, but it stops and flattens out barely over the net, no man can get it, that was cool.

After the Summer, they had a Tennis Team try outs, not really try outs, they accept everyone. Yet there were 25 kids to my surprise, Mick BARELY made varsity in 6th grade, JH is now 6th-8th.

He played doubles, first game was CLOSE, then after that they lost like crazy. Coach was horrible, couldn't figure out basic things we see online or that I know.

But Mick finally managed to play singles, out of two players. Yet he lost, bad.

Next was USTA, got him ready, got creamed, well basically 6-3, 6-3. He was sad but I explained he must lose to learn how to win.

Mick3391 02-13-2013 10:45 PM

Winter hits. Thought we would join some indoor club, but it'sa $30 for one hour. Heh we practice for 6 hours, or 2 one day, then 4 the next, one hour is a waste of time.

So drought.

On good days, remember this is WA, we'd play, wet courts. Sometimes we just played in the rain, because he wanted to play Tennis.

During the AO, he was totally into it, as he's a Fed fan.

I'd get very frustrated, because although he got much better, I mean when he's on he runs me around. But most of the time he's lazy, can't teach a lazy person.

We started drills. I asked him, "If you want to do this, I have a long list of training for you, but not if you won't move".

So we have done drills, two hours of me hitting to his forehand to drive it down my BH line, then two hours the other way, then cross court.

He has the ability, the only thing, which is the main thing is his lack of moving. He's tall, strong legs, but lazy.

This can be expected at his age, I don't want to push him, but want him to push him, when that happens he'll be top guy up here in our area, he has the heart, skills, but without movement it's all in vain.

Mick3391 02-13-2013 10:58 PM

Yea, that's the only thing, not moving. You can have all of the shots in the book, but if you don't move, and I mean MOVE, it means nothing, movement is 90% of the game or whatever.

He recently got his shoes, short pants even though it's cold outside, and he was AWESOME.

As long as he wants it, he will do well. I had him play a Bab PD 100 and it was great, I mean he plays the same with the K-Factor 95, but he was just into it.

luvforty 02-14-2013 05:13 AM

does he cross train with other sports? (well, i guess you said no sport)...

soccer is great for the feet... my son is 8, has played soccer for 5 seasons... I take him to the junior tennis clinic once a week, all beginners, but he has the happiest feet.

comeback 02-16-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7213532)
does he cross train with other sports? (well, i guess you said no sport)...

soccer is great for the feet... my son is 8, has played soccer for 5 seasons... I take him to the junior tennis clinic once a week, all beginners, but he has the happiest feet.

Hi Mick, Congratulations man... on spending time with your son and teaching him the great game of tennis..Soccer is a great suggestion by luvforty to get his feet moving or basketball. Any team sport where peer pressure will make your son move more. The best time of my life was teaching my son who made his college team but quit to go ROTC Marines,,He is now a Marine Corps Captain.But we still knock heads in singles when he's home..One hard piece of advice i had to learn was not to push my son too much..Sometimes let him go for a while and hope they come back

Mick3391 02-18-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comeback (Post 7218212)
Hi Mick, Congratulations man... on spending time with your son and teaching him the great game of tennis..Soccer is a great suggestion by luvforty to get his feet moving or basketball. Any team sport where peer pressure will make your son move more. The best time of my life was teaching my son who made his college team but quit to go ROTC Marines,,He is now a Marine Corps Captain.But we still knock heads in singles when he's home..One hard piece of advice i had to learn was not to push my son too much..Sometimes let him go for a while and hope they come back

Thanks for the info. Yea I don't want to push him, want him to want it, and he just doesn't like any other sports.

We do alot of different drills, that's not it, and I'm not that worried about it, I think he'll grow out of it, but yea I tell him to move, that is be ready the second I hit the ball, many times he waits until it gets over, and by then it's too late.

He is just adapting I hope to being ready, this is all new to him. Then again, sometimes he books it, is ready, alert, so while frustrating I do think he'll come out of it.

Mick3391 02-24-2013 06:10 PM

I couldn't tell anyone about what happened yesterday as there are no real words to describe it.

Mick I and played Friday in the rain for a couple of hours. Saturday we went to a large court with alot of other players, dry outside.

As usual before we even play, people, and I just don't understand people, here I am 6'1" and muscular, this man walks up and starts giving advice. My son and I are polite and don't say anything, just "Thanks".

We play and it's real good, nothing special. We work out though for like 4 hours, we are both tired. Through it I ask others is they will play Mick as I think it's good experience for him and he wants it.

Finally, this guy who was about 28, who started younger than Mick, plays all year round, said "If you want me to hit with him", "Please" I say.

Of course the guys tries to tell Mick, because he saw him, "Oh you should use a two handed backhand with that heavy racquet, you should...". They played, ever see a "Miracle" shot?

Mick never went behind the baseline except when absolutely necessary, in short he KICKED THIS GUYS BUTT, the guys wife was next to me, she and others watching were clapping, Mick's every shot was unbelivable, hard deep topspin followed by a short flat shot to the line, no human can get that, drop shots, wide, shot, hard, soft, slice, topspin, he KILLED THIS GUY, I couldn't believe it, I thought "He'll fall apart", then he moved back hit a shot and fell, clapping again.

It was the most amazing thing I ever saw in my life, the other guy was amazed, didn't know what to do, at first it was going to be like 5 minutes, they went over 30 as the guy tried to establish himself.

The problem was the guy was trained "Modern Style", he was expecting to hit huge topspin, have it land mid court, the bounce and wait for Mick to hit it. Mick would run up, catch the shot mid air and put it away.

I was smart to listen to my instincts instead of all of these so called experts, start with small heavy racquet, work on shot making, keep your eye on the ball, then move up. Learn baseline, and serve and volley, hit hard, hard, medium, hard, soft, deep, drop, make everything different.

This was the ultimate performance, I mean with me he relaxes and just cruises, he was like a lion, he wanted to kill this guy and he had no chance, he had no clue what to do. Mick was picking up balls on the rise early and driving it where the guy wasn't.

These guys are used to hitting hard from the baseline, they have no clue with a variety of shots, and I simply don't care what anyone says, I have some on my side also.

If Mick keeps this up, that is desire, training, he can go along way. I'm simply stunned.

tennis_balla 02-25-2013 04:45 AM

Have you ever posted a video of your son playing?

Mick3391 02-25-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_balla (Post 7235054)
Have you ever posted a video of your son playing?

No, but you know what, I'm buying a stupid camera! I have tried on my phone, but you can't even see the ball!

I think it's a wise investment so, I mean you never know, but it would be good to see him play now, then hopefully improve, and God willing he goes somewhere, we have it.

I don't know how people do it though, I mean I can film him, but how do you get those videos of the panoramic view? What do they do, hang the camera on the fence?

tennis_balla 02-25-2013 10:53 PM

Get a GoPro and attach it to the fence or use some tripod.

TomT 02-27-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick3391 (Post 7236668)
No, but you know what, I'm buying a stupid camera! I have tried on my phone, but you can't even see the ball!

I think it's a wise investment so, I mean you never know, but it would be good to see him play now, then hopefully improve, and God willing he goes somewhere, we have it.

Hey Mick! Yes, definitely get a camcorder and take pictures and vids whenever possible. You will be very glad you did, and your son will be very glad you did. It will gain in value for you as the years pass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick3391 (Post 7236668)
I don't know how people do it though, I mean I can film him, but how do you get those videos of the panoramic view? What do they do, hang the camera on the fence?

Yes, that's one way. As tennis_balla mentioned, the gopro ( http://gopro.com/ ) camcorders are fantastic, and would indeed be a good investment.

But if a gopro isn't currently in your budget, then start saving and just get a cheap camcorder for the time being(eg., I'm making do with a Sony Cybershot until springing for a gopro is in my budget. In lieu of getting a tripod, or fashioning a fence mounting thingy, or getting a gopro, which has all the mounting attachments you'll ever need, I just tape my CyberShot to the top of one of the garbage can holders at my public courts which I move to the center by the back fence. A higher perspective would be better, so I'm going to either fashion something I can hook to the fence out of a wire coat hanger or figure out some other way to do it. Any suggestions? Of course, I could just go ahead and get a tripod. :)).

Anyway, nice thread and best wishes to you and your son for lots more rewarding times with tennis.

Timbo's hopeless slice 02-27-2013 01:28 PM

Hi Mick

Congrats on the whole diary thing, and good luck!

Sounds like the young fella is ready for a Junior Tournament.

It would be a great way to get a feel for where he sits relative to competitive players his own age.

Just be prepared fro some of these 'baseline bashers' to be a lot more capable of handling young Mick's variety than you seem to expect.

That said, I applaud your efforts so far, sounds like it's going great :)

Mick3391 02-27-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo's hopeless slice (Post 7240303)
Hi Mick

It would be a great way to get a feel for where he sits relative to competitive players his own age.

Just be prepared fro some of these 'baseline bashers' to be a lot more capable of handling young Mick's variety than you seem to expect.

Thanks, yea sometimes it may sound like bragging, but heh I'm a proud dad, I love my son, and the other day I'm telling you IT WAS THE COOLEST THING I EVER SAW.

Here I am complaining that he isn't hussling, but then he just turns into a TIGER the second he's playing this adult. I mean at 12 I would have probably been afraid of him, not Mick. I mean he wants to be Roger Federer! He even imitates him in the sense of making a great shot then showing no emotion.

At first I thought "Ok, he's lucking out", but he did better and better, never let up, the guy looked over to us (His wife and I) as if "What the heck is this". IT WAS THE COOLEST THING I EVER SAW. I am definitely going to get a camera.

Mick3391 02-27-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomT (Post 7240278)
Hey Mick! Yes, definitely get a camcorder and take pictures and vids whenever possible. You will be very glad you did, and your son will be very glad you did. It will gain in value for you as the years pass.

Yes, that's one way. As tennis_balla mentioned, the gopro ( http://gopro.com/ ) camcorders are fantastic, and would indeed be a good investment.

But if a gopro isn't currently in your budget, then start saving and just get a cheap camcorder for the time being(eg., I'm making do with a Sony Cybershot until springing for a gopro is in my budget. In lieu of getting a tripod, or fashioning a fence mounting thingy, or getting a gopro, which has all the mounting attachments you'll ever need, I just tape my CyberShot to the top of one of the garbage can holders at my public courts which I move to the center by the back fence. A higher perspective would be better, so I'm going to either fashion something I can hook to the fence out of a wire coat hanger or figure out some other way to do it. Any suggestions? Of course, I could just go ahead and get a tripod. :)).

Anyway, nice thread and best wishes to you and your son for lots more rewarding times with tennis.

Hi Tom, how are you?

Thanks, yea it's time to get a camera, I so wish I had that on tape. Just have to wait for a deal to come in and I'm getting one.

Mick3391 02-27-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo's hopeless slice (Post 7240303)
Hi Mick

I didn't comment on your point about baseliners. Yea I'm not training him to be a serve and vollyer, but rather TO KNOW HOW. It amazes me how most don't know. I know that some can rip balls right by him. I teach him to yea play from the baseline, but mix it up, it throws guys off, like it did that guy. That guy was no slouch, he started younger than mick, was 28, and plays all through the winter. His problem is that when I saw him hitting with his wife, they were just hitting baseline, so he had no idea how to handle a guy coming forward, catching the ball in the air mid court and jamming it back.

I just think learning everything is important, I'm not against baseline play at all, but I think mixing it up, making every shot different, making every position different is important.

Anyways as you can tell I'm still jazzed:)

Prodigy1234 02-27-2013 03:45 PM

Coming to the net can allow the net rusher an advantage over the baseliner as you have so much more angles and "court" to work with.
You're a smart dad

Timbo's hopeless slice 02-27-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick3391 (Post 7240531)
I didn't comment on your point about baseliners. Yea I'm not training him to be a serve and vollyer, but rather TO KNOW HOW. It amazes me how most don't know. I know that some can rip balls right by him. I teach him to yea play from the baseline, but mix it up, it throws guys off, like it did that guy. That guy was no slouch, he started younger than mick, was 28, and plays all through the winter. His problem is that when I saw him hitting with his wife, they were just hitting baseline, so he had no idea how to handle a guy coming forward, catching the ball in the air mid court and jamming it back.

I just think learning everything is important, I'm not against baseline play at all, but I think mixing it up, making every shot different, making every position different is important.

Anyways as you can tell I'm still jazzed:)

oh, no, I wasn't implying anything negative!

all court skills never go out of style :)

but I do think a tournament would be a good idea, let him get a feel for where he is at, too..

(my 13 year old regularly massacres 4.0s around the club, but he is only a middling junior at a State level in his age group.)

Fuji 02-27-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo's hopeless slice (Post 7240609)
oh, no, I wasn't implying anything negative!

all court skills never go out of style :)

but I do think a tournament would be a good idea, let him get a feel for where he is at, too..

(my 13 year old regularly massacres 4.0s around the club, but he is only a middling junior at a State level in his age group.)

Hahaha that's probably the ultimate to see. There are a couple top U12 national players at my club, they annihilate pretty much every single 4.5 and under player here. Watching such a young kid absolutely crush the ball is awesome!

-Fuji

TomT 02-27-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick3391 (Post 7240521)
Hi Tom, how are you?

Feeling better, stronger each day, thanks. Hope you're feeling as well as possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick3391 (Post 7240521)
Thanks, yea it's time to get a camera, I so wish I had that on tape. Just have to wait for a deal to come in and I'm getting one.

There will be plenty more times that you will have video and pictures of. The most important thing is that you actually do spend time with your son. No substitute for that. From what I've learned of you so far I'll bet you're a pretty darned good dad. Just don't get too proud of, or ambitious for, him. :) We all need a certain freedom (within a nicely structured environment that it sounds like you're engineering for him).

Anyway, this diary thing is a cool idea, imo. I'm sure many TalkTennis posters will be tracking it, as I will.

I'm anxious to see some vids of your talented son in action, but even more I would like to see some vids of your play. So, get a frickin camera and start recording for chrisakes. :) (If you need any tips just email me.)

Also, if you're ever in my area then you'd better contact me so we can at least hit, maybe even play a set or two. The old man might just slip a few shots past ya. (I'll furnish the court, balls, nutritional drinks, and comic relief. Just bring your A game, because you might need it if I'm back to full strength. :) )