Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The Doping Thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454746)

jamesblakefan#1 02-14-2013 07:49 AM

The Doping Thread

Let's have a semi mature discussion about doping. We all know guys are doing it.

This is probably going to be remebered as the doping era in all sports, not just tennis. It's so easy to go undetected and cheat, as we've seen already.

Let's start with these two articles to ponder.

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id...-espn-magazine

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...k-ped-question

And I ask, why as fans can't we name names? Of course we can. Why does there have to be a positive test to indict someone, when so many have been shown to cheat and admitted it without one?

I have my own suspicions about some top players, and it's borderline irresponsible for us as fans not to. Without naming names, I say that half of the top 20 players in the world now are doping. Again, I have no proof, just my own suspicions and the BS detector being too damn high. Is it wrong to convict guys without proof? Maybe. But I think its time for us as fans to stop holding back and face the fact that tennis is just as dirty as every other sport seems to be today.

President 02-14-2013 07:53 AM

I agree 100%, I think many top players are doing it and IMO it's obvious which ones are on the juice. Errani and Ferrer are definitely the most blatant examples on both tours...they actually have known association with a doping doctor and have extremely physical styles.

jamesblakefan#1 02-14-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by President (Post 7213777)
I agree 100%, I think many top players are doing it and IMO it's obvious which ones are on the juice. Errani and Ferrer are definitely the most blatant examples on both tours...they actually have known association with a doping doctor and have extremely physical styles.

Errani is clear as day. Going from 40-50 range journeywoman to making slam semis and finals overnight. Schiavone is another one that I'd add BTW. WTA has a doping problem too, that should not be ignored.

cknobman 02-14-2013 08:10 AM

Personally I'd feel like Djokovic is one that sticks out to me. Career quitter to tour iron-man who actually gets quicker and stronger the longer the match goes!!!

I say Nadal as well. Not currently but in the past which is why he has so many continual health problems today. I know his medical problems are not an effect from doping but I do believe his medical problems were suppressed by doping in the past.

jrs 02-14-2013 08:12 AM

I think it's time to legalize these performance enhancing drugs.

I don't think you can compete at professional levels in sports without PED's these days.

citybert 02-14-2013 08:37 AM

I think there has to be some allowance of PEDs as many of the things that were not allowed 30 years ago are now ok to use.

Also we need to think long term in 10-15 years there will probably be gene therapy available and I don't see how they can possibly test for that. Sure they could keep a repository of some sorts but there will always be a black or secondary market like they have with these new age doctors and designer drugs.

Djokodal Fan 02-14-2013 08:57 AM

I would appreciate if Mods can move or merge all doping allegation posts or threads to this one. Its easy to completely avoid the thread rather than selectively ignoring few posts from trolls

xan 02-14-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djokodal Fan (Post 7213893)
I would appreciate if Mods can move or merge all doping allegation posts or threads to this one. Its easy to completely avoid the thread rather than selectively ignoring few posts from trolls

amen to that

mariecon 02-14-2013 09:21 AM

I know this isn't about tennis but...today Oscar Pistorius has been charged with murdering his girlfriend. I was so shocked when I heard this but now come to think of it, it makes one wonder if he's on PED's because everyone knows the term "roid rage" and apparently he has a violent temper. Anyway, I know this is kind of OT but I just was thinking it so I thought I'd put it out there.

fps 02-14-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariecon (Post 7213922)
I know this isn't about tennis but...today Oscar Pistorius has been charged with murdering his girlfriend. I was so shocked when I heard this but now come to think of it, it makes one wonder if he's on PED's because everyone knows the term "roid rage" and apparently he has a violent temper. Anyway, I know this is kind of OT but I just was thinking it so I thought I'd put it out there.

I've yet to meet a South African who didn't have a violent temper, it is a point though. Such a tragedy, that poor girl, what on earth possessed him.

Mainad 02-14-2013 09:36 AM

Barbora Zahlavova-Strycova is given a 6 month doping ban:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/t...GlvbnM-;_ylv=3

citybert 02-14-2013 10:42 AM

Yup she got it from drinking Acai berry thin and WTA acknowledged that it was very possible that she got it from that, and they still banned her anyway.

librarysteg 02-14-2013 10:47 AM

I fall on the denier side. It's not that I don't believe doping might be happening, but I'm not up for thinking about it and ruining my current enjoyment of the sport and my favorites by constantly thinking, "what if?" I'm fully prepared for a day down the road when something big will likely break, but until then I'm content to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. My biggest fear is that there will eventually be one or two scapegoats that take the fall while dozens or hundreds go unpunished. I would hate to see that happen. If there's doping and they decide to crack down on it or a big scandal breaks, I'd much rather see them clean house and out everyone and attempt a fresh start. It's not right to have one doping poster boy for the entire sport.

Vrad 02-14-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by citybert (Post 7214075)
Yup she got it from drinking Acai berry thin and WTA acknowledged that it was very possible that she got it from that, and they still banned her anyway.

Well, if only she was making out with a dude then she would have been fine, ala Gasquet. Or do you need to be endorsed by a top seed to be allowed to get away with excuses?

mariecon 02-14-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by citybert (Post 7214075)

Acai is a banned substance?

Vrad 02-14-2013 11:21 AM

I am almost certain that a few players at the top are doping.

I think that also explains the very curious inability of anyone below the top 4 to even challenge the top players. Maybe it's because they lack the resources to use PEDs in a way which allows them to remain Uncaught.

NadalAgassi 02-14-2013 11:23 AM

I have been of the opinion for awhile that a large ratio of international athletes in any sports involving strength or endurance to a strong degree are doing some kind of doping. I believe the doping testing across sport is stronger now so the drugs athletes use are not as heavy as the 80s, hence why all the female track records are still from the 80s, and the 70s and 80s East German swim records didnt begin to fall until the 2000s. However a large percentage of international athletes still dope, just with less powerful or sneakier drugs than before.

cc0509 02-14-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 7213942)
Barbora Zahlavova-Strycova is given a 6 month doping ban:

So the "rumors" were true. There have been rumors of her failing a drug test for weeks now.

She is dispensable, she is not a big enough star for most people to care. It is the ITF/WTA's way of sacrificing a scrub so that it appears that they are doing their job with respect to doping.

mariecon 02-14-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc0509 (Post 7214176)
So the "rumors" were true. There have been rumors of her failing a drug test for weeks now.

She is dispensable, she is not a big enough star for most people to care. It is the ITF/WTA's way of sacrificing a scrub so that it appears that they are doing their job with respect to doping.

well as usual they take down a relatively low ranked player and think people will assume she's the only one doing it because she's the only one they've caught. Wrong! Why is it we only hear about journeymen/women getting caught? Do people honestly believe they're the only ones doing it? If they're doing it, you can bet top players are as well. They're just better at masking it or else the ATP/ITF turn a blind eye to it because they're the moneymakers.

cc0509 02-14-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariecon (Post 7214188)
well as usual they take down a relatively low ranked player and think people will assume she's the only one doing it because she's the only one they've caught. Wrong! Why is it we only hear about journeymen/women getting caught? Do people honestly believe they're the only ones doing it? If they're doing it, you can bet top players are as well. They're just better at masking it or else the ATP/ITF turn a blind eye to it because they're the moneymakers.

110%...............