Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   My Slazenger Collection (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454816)

ChrisABC 02-14-2013 07:52 PM

My Slazenger Collection

Here are my Slazengers.

ChrisABC 02-14-2013 07:55 PM

Slazenger Phantom Plus

Slazenger Phantom Plus vs Yonex R-22

jimbo333 02-16-2013 02:31 AM

Brilliant, and how cool is that Futura racket, wow!!!

Hannah19 02-16-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo333 (Post 7217620)
Brilliant, and how cool is that Futura racket, wow!!!

Exactly....I love these woodies.

Autodidactic player 02-16-2013 01:15 PM

I've got three different Slazengers in my collection:

Slazenger Omega

Slazenger Phantom

Slazenger TM Plus

joe sch 02-16-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autodidactic player (Post 7218582)
I've got three different Slazengers in my collection:

Slazenger Omega

Slazenger Phantom

Slazenger TM Plus

I also admire the Slazenger rackets.
The Phantom flexes like a banana :)
I have a demon fishtail from the 1890s

pshulam 02-16-2013 08:18 PM

Very nice collection. I only have one Slazenger racaquet - panther ceramic pro that I used for many years.

ChrisABC 02-16-2013 09:31 PM

I've been lurking for a while, so I decided to post some of my collection.
The Slazenger Challenge No.1 is my favorite wood racquet- I used it in High School. I remember when Manuel Orantes beat Jimmy Connors in the 1975 U.S Open on Clay using this racquet.
Excellent touch, finesse by Orantes to beat Connors.

Hannah19 02-17-2013 02:09 AM

I'm currently hoping to win an auction for a mint woodie Graphite Challenge, same as seen above.
Besides the Challange No1, I also have the Bi-hander version of this classic.
I have not seen a second one after I acquired it, does anyone have a clue about it's rarity?

joe sch 02-17-2013 06:39 AM

I also have a model called the vista1 which looks just like the famous challenger1 and below is a photo

http://woodtennis.com/slazenger/slazch1s.jpg

ChrisABC 02-17-2013 01:52 PM

One nice Slazenger on the big auction site is a-
NEW MANUEL ORANTES SLAZENGER
Really Nice but $$$ and my wife thinks I have more than enough racquets.

Hannah19 02-17-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisABC (Post 7220933)
One nice Slazenger on the big auction site is a-
NEW MANUEL ORANTES SLAZENGER
Really Nice but $$$ and my wife thinks I have more than enough racquets.

Wow.....Nice piece!! I had not seen this white version before. Has that "Omega" look like the one shown above.
Made in Japan..!!??

coachrick 02-18-2013 03:13 PM

Does anyone remember when the Challenge No.1 was beefier? I played with the Professional wood model that was nearly identical to the early Ch. No.1 before the latter went more 'Maxply'-like. The newer Challenge felt like a noodle to me while the Professional was a fair bit stiffer in the throat.

I used to play mixed with a lady who used the Slaz Plus chromed steel model. She was a tiny thing; but she loved that racket. MY arm hurt just looking at it! :) I've got one on the wall; but I'm afraid I'll bust the strings first time out(and I don't feel compelled to restring it just for fun). My elbow twitches whenever I pull it down from the display wall ;).

JW10S 02-18-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachrick (Post 7223253)
Does anyone remember when the Challenge No.1 was beefier? I played with the Professional wood model that was nearly identical to the early Ch. No.1 before the latter went more 'Maxply'-like. The newer Challenge felt like a noodle to me while the Professional was a fair bit stiffer in the throat.

I used to play mixed with a lady who used the Slaz Plus chromed steel model. She was a tiny thing; but she loved that racket. MY arm hurt just looking at it! :) I've got one on the wall; but I'm afraid I'll bust the strings first time out(and I don't feel compelled to restring it just for fun). My elbow twitches whenever I pull it down from the display wall ;).

Yeah, I remember the 'beefier' model. But I loved that last generation Challenge #1--I thought it looked great and played great. I used to string tight back in those days and the Slazengers held up better for me than the Maxply Forts I used previously.

coachrick 02-19-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW10S (Post 7223304)
Yeah, I remember the 'beefier' model. But I loved that last generation Challenge #1--I thought it looked great and played great. I used to string tight back in those days and the Slazengers held up better for me than the Maxply Forts I used previously.

The later model was a beaut. With all the dozens of Maxplys I sold, I never owned one. In the Southeast US, Slazenger had a bit of snob-appeal since it was not widely distributed. That Professional with Babolat AFV @ 62# was sweet! That was the last wood racket I used before going with Rossi then Dunlop as a sales rep.

gavna 02-19-2013 11:32 AM

Loved the Slazenger No1.....a true classic.

Love the picture with a set of old BlueStar string above...........horrible stuff but so popular - played nice for about an hour then turned into wet pasta....hahahaha

Hannah19 02-19-2013 02:37 PM

Is that Futura also made in Japan?
The bamboo on the side of the shaft and the font on the side suggests it is.....

ChrisABC 02-20-2013 03:58 PM

Yes the Slazenger Futura was made in Japan (pictured with an old wood University Special Model)

jimbo333 02-20-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannah19 (Post 7225093)
Is that Futura also made in Japan?
The bamboo on the side of the shaft and the font on the side suggests it is.....

Haha that's exactly what I was going to say, the bamboo gave it away!

jimbo333 02-20-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisABC (Post 7227176)
Yes the Slazenger Futura was made in Japan (pictured with an old wood University Special Model)

I'm going to say it again, what a racket that Futura is, really does look superb!

I collect Slazenger and am very jealous, as I havn't got one of these:?