Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Gamma 2-point mounting arms slipping. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454829)

eks-mat 02-14-2013 11:13 PM

Gamma 2-point mounting arms slipping.

So the last time I went to string my racket I noticed the mounting arms were too small for my frame, but the last racket I strung was the same racket.

I always tighten the 2 allen nuts as tight as I can with the provided tool. I decided to move the arms and look at the metal bar (where the allen nuts tighten down to and create friction). It is a little worn out there, I can see where they have been and looks like they do move a little, the shiny finish is coming off the spot they tighten to.

So I am concerned of course for the rackets safety, but am also wondering what I should do. I am thinking of angling the arms inward before I tighten the nuts so the arms will be resting on the bar and taking a lot of force off the allen nuts.

A second question, the manual says to always have the plastic piece that slides on top of the arms touching the frame to avoid damaging the racket. I find it pretty hard to make it touch, without it also wanting to push the racket upwards. I have never strung without it touching, but it seems if I can get it so the piece still moves, but is BARELY touching, then I never have to re-tighten to mounting nuts on top. If the piece touches the frame too much I find the nuts become loose as I string, IDK if its from the frame "sinking" into the rubber more, or what. So I am asking what the consensus of opinion is on adjusting these is, takes me far too long in my opinion to get the arms in the perfect spot.

Thanks to you all in advance.

Irvin 02-15-2013 01:48 AM

Sounds like you only string one racket. Get a space and put it between the post so the mounts can't move. When adjusting the posts maybe pulling from the bottom and holding them there until you tighten them would help. This would enable you to pre-load the mounts.

eks-mat 02-15-2013 10:20 PM

Thanks Irvin, I will try pulling the mounts, my only concern would be if the mounts tilt a bunch before they catch on the support pole, not leaving a level surface for the racket to rest.

Also, when the racket has become loose a couple times, I have to tighten the nuts with my fingers pretty hard. Anyone know how much tightening would damage a frame? as Gamma states can happen by over tightening the mounting nuts? I wonder if it is really possible to do so on a modern racket by only using fingers (although I have quite strong hands and fingers.)

Irvin 02-16-2013 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eks-mat (Post 7217469)
Thanks Irvin, I will try pulling the mounts, my only concern would be if the mounts tilt a bunch before they catch on the support pole, not leaving a level surface for the racket to rest.

That sound like something is worn out. I can see a little tilt but not so much the mounts aren't still fairly level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eks-mat (Post 7217469)
Also, when the racket has become loose a couple times, I have to tighten the nuts with my fingers pretty hard. Anyone know how much tightening would damage a frame? as Gamma states can happen by over tightening the mounting nuts? I wonder if it is really possible to do so on a modern racket by only using fingers (although I have quite strong hands and fingers.)

That is why I don't like the true two point mount. You could try cleaning the mounting surfaces and using something like lether pads between the mounts and the racket to keep it from slipping.

iradical18 02-16-2013 07:22 AM

I agree with Irvin, clean up the mounts real well and if that doesn't help get yourself something soft to act as a shim in there to prevent movement.

eks-mat 02-16-2013 04:43 PM

Thanks guys, the most recent time my racket slipped my mounts were pretty dusty and cleaning definitely reduced how tight the mounts need to be.

Other than visual inspecting the racket for damage, anything I should check for/worry about with it?

redduck996 02-26-2013 11:37 AM

Any issues with movement from other 2 point systems?