Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How many 4 & a Half hour matches have the Big 3 played? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454841)

Nickzor 02-15-2013 02:18 AM

How many 4 & a Half hour matches have the Big 3 played?
 
I thought it'd make an interesting thread if we list and discuss the amount of matches the BIG THREE have played, not just against each other but against anyone that have gone for 4 and a Half hours plus~

I'll list the ones i know off the top of my head

Roger Frederoar
vs Marat Safin AO Semi 2005' 4:28 Hours CLOSE ENOUGH!
vs Nalbandian WTA Finals 2005' 4:33 Hours
vs Nadal Rome Final 2006' A few minutes over 5 hours
vs Nadal Wimbledon Final 2008' 4:48 Hours!


Rafael Nadal
vs Federer Rome Final 2006 *above*
vs Federer Wimbledon Final 2008 *above*
vs Verdasco AO Semi 2009' 5:10 minutes i believe
vs Djokovic AO Final 2012' 5:53 minutes

Novak Djokovic
vs Baghdatis Wimbledon Quarter Finals 2007' 5:00 Hours
vs Stepanek US Open Round 64 2007' 4:40 Hours
vs Murray AO Semi Final 2012' 4:53 Hours
vs Nadal AO Final 2012' 5:53 Hours
vs Murray US Open Final 2012' 4:54 Hours
vs Wawrinka AO 4th Round 2013' 5:03 Hours

Well it would seem like Fred has played only one match that has gone Beyond 5 hours, Nadal has played 3 and Djokovic also 3. What i've noticed is that more then half the 5 set matched Djokovic and Nadal play go well over 4 hours. But most of Feds 5 set matches are around 3 hours to ALMOST 4 hours max. Fed clearly doesn't waste much time in between points, and as we all know Nadal does and when he plays Djokovic, Djokovic tends to waste time as well.

Realistically none of Nadals matches on this list are infact the longest on this list, because he waste so much time pulling up his socks, adjusting his jocks
etc. I remember the Federer vs Safin AO 2005 match very well and they were so quick in between points, realistically that or Djokovic vs Wawrinka this year would be the longest matches on this list because watching them both live i felt hardly anytime between points was really wasted.

All up very similar stats, they all have around 4-5 matches that have gone over 4 and a half Hours, but i don't see Fed playing anymore matches going that length, but by the time Nadal and Djoker retire i see them having many more matches that go over 4 and a half hours.

coloskier 02-15-2013 05:48 AM

And the answer is.... Any match over 4 hours is too many.

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-15-2013 06:39 AM

I give this thing about a page before it goes to *****, and all the Nadal fans come and defend how great of an athlete he is, and that him taking all that time is justified.

underground 02-15-2013 08:01 AM

Federer VS Delpo SF Olympics 4:26 CLOSE ENOUGH

Goosehead 02-15-2013 08:16 AM

was'nt fed v roddick wimby 2009 really long..?, and 2009 AO Final v rafa ??..cant be bovvered to check though :twisted:

Goosehead 02-15-2013 08:18 AM

how long before someone points out the rafa isnt in 'the big 3' any more seeing as he is no5 world rank..:twisted:

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-15-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goosehead (Post 7215836)
how long before someone points out the rafa isnt in 'the big 3' any more seeing as he is no5 world rank..:twisted:

Ooooh I think you're starting a fire that you won't be able to put out here... That's dangerous.

Colin 02-15-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goosehead (Post 7215834)
was'nt fed v roddick wimby 2009 really long..?, and 2009 AO Final v rafa ??..cant be bovvered to check though :twisted:

4 hours 16 minutes for Wimby 2009 ... longest final in terms of number of games, but Andy and Roger both play so fast and go for quick points, it ended up staying under five hours.

4 hours 19 minutes for AO 2009, Rafa's time-wasting elongating that one.

Interesting that the Rome final is Roger's longest. Arguably the only clay match in which Fed outplayed Nadal and still lost.

Goosehead 02-15-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 7216409)
4 hours 16 minutes for Wimby 2009 ... longest final in terms of number of games, but Andy and Roger both play so fast and go for quick points, it ended up staying under five hours.

4 hours 19 minutes for AO 2009, Rafa's time-wasting elongating that one.

Interesting that the Rome final is Roger's longest. Arguably the only clay match in which Fed outplayed Nadal and still lost.

yeah the rome final was amazing in every way..

and led to the atp ditching 5 set finals, i think that was the one where fed and rafa pulled out of hambourg masters the next day.

Mustard 02-15-2013 12:39 PM

Nadal vs. Coria (2005 Rome final) - 5 hours and 16 minutes, I believe.

powerangle 02-15-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickzor (Post 7215365)
I thought it'd make an interesting thread if we list and discuss the amount of matches the BIG THREE have played, not just against each other but against anyone that have gone for 4 and a Half hours plus~

I'll list the ones i know off the top of my head

Roger Frederoar
vs Marat Safin AO Semi 2005' 4:28 Hours CLOSE ENOUGH!
vs Nalbandian WTA Finals 2005' 4:33 Hours
vs Nadal Rome Final 2006' A few minutes over 5 hours
vs Nadal Wimbledon Final 2008' 4:48 Hours!


Rafael Nadal
vs Federer Rome Final 2006 *above*
vs Federer Wimbledon Final 2008 *above*
vs Verdasco AO Semi 2009' 5:10 minutes i believe
vs Djokovic AO Final 2012' 5:53 minutes

Novak Djokovic
vs Baghdatis Wimbledon Quarter Finals 2007' 5:00 Hours
vs Stepanek US Open Round 64 2007' 4:40 Hours
vs Murray AO Semi Final 2012' 4:53 Hours
vs Nadal AO Final 2012' 5:53 Hours
vs Murray US Open Final 2012' 4:54 Hours
vs Wawrinka AO 4th Round 2013' 5:03 Hours

Well it would seem like Fred has played only one match that has gone Beyond 5 hours, Nadal has played 3 and Djokovic also 3. What i've noticed is that more then half the 5 set matched Djokovic and Nadal play go well over 4 hours. But most of Feds 5 set matches are around 3 hours to ALMOST 4 hours max. Fed clearly doesn't waste much time in between points, and as we all know Nadal does and when he plays Djokovic, Djokovic tends to waste time as well.

Realistically none of Nadals matches on this list are infact the longest on this list, because he waste so much time pulling up his socks, adjusting his jocks
etc. I remember the Federer vs Safin AO 2005 match very well and they were so quick in between points, realistically that or Djokovic vs Wawrinka this year would be the longest matches on this list because watching them both live i felt hardly anytime between points was really wasted.

All up very similar stats, they all have around 4-5 matches that have gone over 4 and a half Hours, but i don't see Fed playing anymore matches going that length, but by the time Nadal and Djoker retire i see them having many more matches that go over 4 and a half hours.

Since when were David and Roger women?? ;)

axel89 02-15-2013 12:51 PM

this thread has no point?

NEW_BORN 02-15-2013 03:50 PM

Federer vs Tipsarevic - Australian Open 08 (4hr 25min) Close Enough

mattennis 02-15-2013 03:59 PM

Almost sure Federer and Nalbandian never played a WTA tournament...

Nickzor 02-15-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattennis (Post 7217009)
Almost sure Federer and Nalbandian never played a WTA tournament...

It is somewhat possible I meant "WTF" lol World Tour Finals, my bad

tata 02-16-2013 02:41 AM

Nadal's match times are always pushed out due to the time he takes between points.

The_Order 02-16-2013 02:49 AM

So the point of this thread was to point out that Nadal and Novak take more time between points. Wow, ground breaking news here.

For all the whiners, I'm sorry these 2 champion players of today's game take up so many of your precious seconds.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse