Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   For those who say polys don't harm pros (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454919)

THESEXPISTOL 02-15-2013 07:28 PM

For those who say polys don't harm pros

I was reading Break Point, that book about Vince Spadea and found this...

Quote:

I just did one of the craziest things I’ve ever done when it
comes to tennis. After 20years playing with the same racket,
the Prince Graphite 110, I switched to the innovative technology
of the Prince 03.Yeah, it’s the middle of a big team
competition, yeah, it’s five days before the French Open, but
here I am trying out new equipment. I’m tinkering with my
game too much.
Igot spanked like a redheaded stepchild yesterday in
my match against Tommy Haas. I figured if all these young,
big, strong players are clubbing balls with their thick, wide-bodied,
aerodynamic sticks, I needed to be on a level playing
field with everybody else. Nobody uses my racket on tour
anymore. So I made the switch and practiced vigorously with
this new racket, working on putting balls away aggressively at
the net with overheads and swinging volleys. I lost so many
points playing against Haas by not being able to put away
the last ball.
Putting the ball away is a vital element for me to develop
to bring my level up a notch. I play good defense, but when
Iset up the point for a winner, I don’t dominate and torpedo
the ball into a corner like Federer or even Henman. I worked
with Gomez for another hour and a half after my match, and
then my shoulder was sore again. It seems like I’m married
to this throbbing ache. It never goes away, except during the
15minutes I ice it down. I lose sleep and pop anti-inflamma-tory
pills like they’re M&Ms. It’s not the best thing for my
liver, but it’s my only option right now.
Mike Bryan is only 26and he told me his shoulder is
killing him, too. He just switched the strings on his racket to
the most popular string on tour now. It’s supposed to give
you more spin and durability — plus power and consistency
—but it’satough material that makes your arm work harder
than it does playing with the popular gut or synthetic strings.
Istring my racket at 75pounds tension — one of the tightest
on tour — but Borg used to string his rackets at 80pounds,
and his were made of wood.
Mike points to the top of his shoulder and says, “It hurts
right here, Vince. Is that where your shoulder hurts?”
Isay, “Yeah, mine’s in a similar spot. It’s out of control,
man.

sundaypunch 02-15-2013 07:43 PM

Poly at 75 lbs? What could go wrong?

Fuji 02-15-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundaypunch (Post 7217339)

Exactly what I was thinking.

-Fuji

THESEXPISTOL 02-15-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundaypunch (Post 7217339)

Actually Spadea played with Prince Lightning at the time. 75lbs with Prince Lightning is still more comfortable than luxilon at 24kgs. The one who has having problems with luxilon was Mike Bryan.

zapvor 02-15-2013 08:01 PM

yes this is true, but i wish it was someone else not spadea writing about this lol

THESEXPISTOL 02-15-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapvor (Post 7217369)
yes this is true, but i wish it was someone else not spadea writing about this lol

You won't hear it from anyone else. They're just being paid a sh*tload of dollars to keep their mouth shut!

Doubles 02-15-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THESEXPISTOL (Post 7217406)
You won't hear it from anyone else. They're just being paid a sh*tload of dollars to keep their mouth shut!

This is still a generalization. Just because it hurts someone who grew up playing with high tension Nylon doesn't mean it will hurt everyone.

maxpotapov 02-15-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubles (Post 7217472)
This is still a generalization. Just because it hurts someone who grew up playing with high tension Nylon doesn't mean it will hurt everyone.

Yes it apparently does, otherwise why everybody on tour now migrates to natural gut hybrids (last time I checked)

Doubles 02-15-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpotapov (Post 7217479)
Yes it apparently does, otherwise why everybody on tour now migrates to natural gut hybrids (last time I checked)

Rafa, Berdych, Isner, Querrey, Verdasco, Almagro, Ferrer, Tipseravic, and others all use poly. I use poly, at various tensions, I'm not a pro, I don't have perfect technique and I've never had arm injuries. Saying that poly will give you an arm injury is just as much of a sweeping generalization as saying it won't. It all depends on the person.

gavna 02-15-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THESEXPISTOL (Post 7217406)

Actually almost none of the players get paid for using string......maybe just maybe the top 4 or 5 or players using "new" brands (but these days i wouldn't be shocked if its none) the best deals are free string and that's it. Even getting free string for a top pro is very very limited.

Top string manufacturers don't have to pay anyone......if the stuff is good players will beg to use it.....ie Luxilon, VS.....etc. It's the smaller firms that seems to pass out he most free stuff.

BreakPoint 02-16-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubles (Post 7217472)

If poly hurts even someone who grew up playing with high tension nylon, don't you think it would hurt even worse someone who grew up playing with low tension nylon?

BreakPoint 02-16-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubles (Post 7217488)
Rafa, Berdych, Isner, Querrey, Verdasco, Almagro, Ferrer, Tipseravic, and others all use poly. I use poly, at various tensions, I'm not a pro, I don't have perfect technique and I've never had arm injuries. Saying that poly will give you an arm injury is just as much of a sweeping generalization as saying it won't. It all depends on the person.

Keep playing with poly for another 20 years and see how much of an arm you have left. Tennis elbow is a repetitive cumulative injury as the micro tears in your tendon slowly get bigger and takes longer to heal each time you hit the ball.

Smoking doesn't cause cancer when you first start smoking either, but keep smoking for 20-30 years and see what it does to your lungs. Would you start smoking today just because you won't get lung cancer until 20-30 years from now? I assume not.

fgs 02-16-2013 01:24 AM

spadea seems to have gotten two things wrong in respect to borg:
1. he was stringing his small wooden sticks with 30kg, that's less than 70lbs
2. he was playing with full bed vs gut

so talking about stringing gut at 70, be it even 80lbs compared to poly at that tension is a little bit off.

Ramon 02-16-2013 08:58 AM

I don't think poly hurts pros because they only use it for one set. It doesn't hurt me either when it's fresh, but after a few hours, watch out!

Doubles 02-16-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7217533)
Keep playing with poly for another 20 years and see how much of an arm you have left. Tennis elbow is a repetitive cumulative injury as the micro tears in your tendon slowly get bigger and takes longer to heal each time you hit the ball.

Smoking doesn't cause cancer when you first start smoking either, but keep smoking for 20-30 years and see what it does to your lungs. Would you start smoking today just because you won't get lung cancer until 20-30 years from now? I assume not.

20 years from now when I don't have tennis elbow, I'll be sure to let you know.

Doubles 02-16-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7217529)
If poly hurts even someone who grew up playing with high tension nylon, don't you think it would hurt even worse someone who grew up playing with low tension nylon?

Not everyone who used to play with low tension nylon plays with polyester. If they do, then they need to realize that poly has to be strung lower. If they don't string it lower, any arm injury they get is their own fault, not the fault of the string company.

BreakPoint 02-16-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fgs (Post 7217579)
spadea seems to have gotten two things wrong in respect to borg:
1. he was stringing his small wooden sticks with 30kg, that's less than 70lbs
2. he was playing with full bed vs gut

so talking about stringing gut at 70, be it even 80lbs compared to poly at that tension is a little bit off.

It was widely reported back in the 70's when Borg was playing that he strung his racquets at 80lbs.

Don't forget that the tiny 65 sq. in. head and the dense 18x20 string pattern inside the tiny head makes the 80lb. stringbed feel a lot stiffer than the same tension in a 100 sq. in. frame with an open string pattern. Borg's racquet was described as being stiffer than playing with a solid wooden board. :shock: By comparison, his rival McEnroe strung his same size wood racquet at about 40lbs., or half the tension Borg did.

BreakPoint 02-16-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubles (Post 7218192)
20 years from now when I don't have tennis elbow, I'll be sure to let you know.

Yes, please get back to me even though you'll have to type the message with only one hand. :shock:

fgs 02-16-2013 10:31 AM

breakpoint,
my former coach used to string borgs sticks whenever he was in romania, and he was quite often since at that time he was engaged, and latter married, mariana simionescu, a romanian tennisplayer. so, i know first hand that his requests used to vary between 30kg mains and 28 kg crosses, to 32kg mains and 30kg crosses. he used 1.25mm vs gut.

maybe he strung higher for hardcourts, but in spring these have been the tensions he requested, both on the allwoods and later on on the borg pros.

BreakPoint 02-16-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fgs (Post 7218235)
breakpoint,
my former coach used to string borgs sticks whenever he was in romania, and he was quite often since at that time he was engaged, and latter married, mariana simionescu, a romanian tennisplayer. so, i know first hand that his requests used to vary between 30kg mains and 28 kg crosses, to 32kg mains and 30kg crosses. he used 1.25mm vs gut.

maybe he strung higher for hardcourts, but in spring these have been the tensions he requested, both on the allwoods and later on on the borg pros.

I believe Borg strung tighter for Wimbledon and for the US Open.

And, yes, I remember Mariana Simonescu very well. :)