Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   9 year old daughter working on forehands. Help please (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454963)

high and deep 02-16-2013 10:39 AM

9 year old daughter working on forehands. Help please

I have been working with my daughters game for a year now and she has show some very good improvement. We are turning our attention to the forehand to try and get some more power by working on rotation and full follow through over left shoulder, etc. Balance is a bit of an issue as well as getting weight forward it seems. I have tried some right footed forehands (one leg) a few sessions and this helps a bit. What would be your approach to making this a more solid powerful stroke?

thanks for any feedback.

high and deep 02-16-2013 11:01 AM

Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cIZ8...ature=youtu.be

v-verb 02-16-2013 11:56 AM

Nice racquet spins when she was waiting!

Seriously though, is she using too much arm and not enough hip rotation and stepping into the shot?

We need someone with a better eye than I have to jump in here.

That aside she hits really well for 9!!

Chas Tennis 02-16-2013 12:16 PM

TW thread for an 8 year old.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=445313

See the book reference by Elliott that I posted in #17.

Always good to learn about the shoulder and position to use for serving to minimize impingement risk. Reply #21 with link to another TW thread.

Overdrive 02-16-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by high and deep (Post 7218248)
I have been working with my daughters game for a year now and she has show some very good improvement. We are turning our attention to the forehand to try and get some more power by working on rotation and full follow through over left shoulder, etc. Balance is a bit of an issue as well as getting weight forward it seems. I have tried some right footed forehands (one leg) a few sessions and this helps a bit. What would be your approach to making this a more solid powerful stroke?

thanks for any feedback.

Do you know any courts that have a backboard?

They actually do help mate. :)

Ash_Smith 02-16-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by high and deep (Post 7218248)

thanks for any feedback.

You've obviously told her to stay on her toes! This I feel could be the issue with her balance, the fact she is pushing up onto her toes right the way through contact is causing her to fall back onto her heels (watch how many times her first move after the hit is to go back slightly - she is rarely able to remain neutral). So for me, that would be the first area to address. Secondly, she has a pause in her prep on transition to the ball, so I would look to eliminate that - she probably has been told to prepare early? At her age a pause will mean a lot of inertia to overcome, which requires strength she may not have developed yet. A continuous racquet path will help alleviate this problem.

Quick question - she is 9, why do you want more power?

Cheers

SystemicAnomaly 02-16-2013 01:48 PM

^ I'm ok with an early prep and a slight pause/hesitation. However if she is going to pause, it would be better at the top of the loop -- at the unit turn. Have her keep the left hand on the racket a bit longer with that unit turn and then extend it out to the side (toward the camera, in this case).

When she is ready to swing, she can use gravity to get the racket moving again if the racket is sitting at the tops of the loop. It has potential energy at the top of the loop and kinetic energy as it drops and then as she starts the forward swing. This should make her stroke more fluid without being to difficult to time.

In the long run this could also help to develop more power. She could delay the racket head drop a bit and then start to turn (hips and then torso) quicker and pull the racket thru faster (on the forward swing). Viola, more power.

mntlblok 02-16-2013 02:01 PM

Reminds me of the Djokovic video I watched the other day. Awfully cute. I wonder if the weight of the racket relative to her size is an issue. Looks pretty impressive to me. . .

high and deep 02-16-2013 02:01 PM

actually we haven't talked about staying on the toes.... she just naturally does it. My boys are flat footed in comparison

high and deep 02-16-2013 02:03 PM

thanks so much for the comments so far. I look at her strokes all the time and it is tough for me to pick up on everything.

high and deep 02-16-2013 02:06 PM

the reason for a little more power is that the top girls are taking her shots putting her on the defense consistently. Even with depth on the ball they get ahead in the rallies. When play kids that are even or a bit worse, she likes to dictate points and work her opponents around the court....then she gets them on the run or wins the point with a drop shot.

high and deep 02-16-2013 02:09 PM

she is using a 25 inch babolat strung weight is less than 9 oz.

mntlblok 02-16-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by high and deep (Post 7218710)
then she gets them on the run or wins the point with a drop shot.

Love it!! :)

marosmith 02-16-2013 03:42 PM

I'm not by any means an expert, but the feet seem to be real stiff and stuck in one spot seems like she should focus on bending the right knee, loading off where she can feel the muscle tightening in the quad, turn the shoulders and then attack the ball out in front. I think what would happen is the hips would release and the feet would come off the ground.

10s talk 02-16-2013 05:24 PM

she needs to put her weight into the shots... she is almost falling backwards

cluckcluck 02-16-2013 05:57 PM

The first thing I noticed, aside from her quite good play, is her balance. Every forehand, she leans back on her right foot; she nearly topples over.
I would say, have her stay more balanced through the swing and contact.
If she needing more power and spin, you should have her swinging through the ball instead of up on the ball.

Great start though, keep her in it if she's interested.

NLBwell 02-16-2013 10:03 PM

What's up with her posing with her hips in an unnatural position before she swings?
Let her hit the ball.

Ash_Smith 02-17-2013 03:55 AM

High and Deep - now you see the downside with asking for specific advice on a forum such as this, where you have Experts and "experts" and everything in between! Please be very careful with what/who you listen too - ideally (and assuming you want the best for your daughter), find a local coach with a good reputation for working with u12's.

Cheers

JohnB 02-17-2013 04:26 AM

Does she enjoy playing?

pvaudio 02-17-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnB (Post 7219517)
Does she enjoy playing?

This is the first question that needs to be asked. Kids who play tennis because THEY love to play tennis always end up sticking with it longer. They may not get as far as those with parents who put them in academies and the like, but that life-long love is definitely much more worth it than a shining junior career and then stopping after high school.

Since that's not relevant here, I will just say that for 9, your daughter's FH looks great. I will also say with 100% certainty that 98% of the people who will give you advice have no experience coaching juniors who need quite different advice than adults. So do take what you read with a block of salt.