Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   is leather supposed to be sticky?! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454983)

Relinquis 02-16-2013 02:20 PM

is leather supposed to be sticky?!

I've recently started using the Babolat leather grip (the thin 'feel' one, is there another type?!) on one of my sticks (no overgrip at the moment). It feels pretty sticky after a long match. Actually, it's been a few days and the grip still feels tacky to the touch but it isn't the same kind of tacky feel that an overgrip has. it's almost a moist (wrong word) kind of tacky.

I kinda like it, but was wondering if this is normal... ?

Overdrive 02-16-2013 02:53 PM

I have leather grip on my BB V1 Midplus, and after playing games and sets, it barely gets wet from the sweat that forms on my hand.
In my opinion, most of Babolat's accessories aren't really good to me. Such as that leather grip of yours.
I'm not surprised this happened honestly..

Relinquis 02-16-2013 03:11 PM

Interesting, does the boris becker leather feel either sticky or tacky or just smooth? How would you describe the way it feels?

Might get a few other types of leather grips and experiment on my other sticks to see which i like better.

Overdrive 02-16-2013 03:23 PM

Feels great. Good bevel feel and makes the handle feel solid but also just enough cushion to prevent blisters. Leather looks nice and is pretty thin. I wish there was a bit more tack.
I will eventually replace my other BB racquets with leather grip.
It's on sale too!

I'm thinking about selling/trading my V1 MidPlus because the headsize is a little too big for me (102 sq in). :(

mmk 02-20-2013 03:04 AM

I have three different types of leather grips installed on various racquets. I have the Head leather that TW sells on three sticks and it stays dry and doesn't have any tack. I also have what appears to be a different Head leather grip that was installed by RPNY on a racquet I bought used, and it is a different color and is slightly tacky. Then I have a 30+ year old Wilson Advantage wood racquet with the original leather grip that is very tacky. I guess it all depends on the tanning.

robbo1970 02-20-2013 03:55 AM

I think the calfskin grips come in a bit drier feeling, I know my Prince calfskin is dry, so maybe the other Head one is the calfskin.

Ive noticed too that older rackets with leather seem tackier, but my guess is thats 30 years of sweaty hands lol.

I find that wiping a bit of olive oil over the grip, just a smear really, gives is a slightly less dry feeling and bit of tack.

Relinquis 02-20-2013 04:12 AM

i suppose different leathers feel different.

the babolat leather i have is very tacky (different type of tack from an overgrip). I kinda like it now. still haven't used an overgrip on it.