Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Has tennis been missing excitement without Nadal? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454985)

YouCantBeSerious 02-16-2013 02:35 PM

Has tennis been missing excitement without Nadal?

Even some of the haters felt something was missing. The passion, the fighting spirit, the rivalries and hard fought slam finals...

Or maybe Nadal is like the villain in a movie people love to hate.

For whatever the reason, are you glad Nadal is back on court?

dudeski 02-16-2013 02:38 PM

Yes tennis was missing fake MTOs, water bottle adjustments, endless butt picking and excessive celebrations on unforced errors.

mistik 02-16-2013 02:40 PM

I wish he would never comeback playing that badly.I dont even enjoy watching him anymore.

Murrayfan31 02-16-2013 02:42 PM

courtking with the goods. :) No Nadal ftw.

Goosehead 02-16-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouCantBeSerious (Post 7218781)
Even some of the haters felt something was missing. The passion, the fighting spirit, the rivalries and hard fought slam finals...

Or maybe Nadal is like the villain in a movie people love to hate.

For whatever the reason, are you glad Nadal is back on court?

there were hard fought major finals without him...good to see him back though.

YouCantBeSerious 02-16-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goosehead (Post 7218808)
there were hard fought major finals without him...good to see him back though.

Not at quite the same level though. Nadal brings it to a whole different dimension.

Clarky21 02-16-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistik (Post 7218787)
I wish he would never comeback playing that badly.I dont even enjoy watching him anymore.

I agree. I have been a fan of Nadal for 8 years now, and I have never seen him play this badly. I would rather he retire than go out there and make a fool of himself against lowly mugs he would have blown off the court in his prime. It's not fun to watch him anymore at all.

YouCantBeSerious 02-16-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7218830)
I agree. I have been a fan of Nadal for 8 years now, and I have never seen him play this badly. I would rather he retire than go out there and make a fool of himself against lowly mugs he would have blown off the court in his prime. It's not fun to watch him anymore at all.

You are kidding, right? Sometimes I have trouble telling with you.

The guy just came back from an extended lay off period. Do you people really expect him to come back at a level where he isn't going to struggle?

This is professional tennis, not a walk in the park. Even a relative mug is a good player, and if you are away from the courts for almost 7 months it's expected that you will have trouble.

Steve0904 02-16-2013 03:17 PM

I wouldn't say I missed Nadal as a general rule. Tennis moved on and it was fine, just as it will be when any of the other 3 take an extended injury break or retire. The only time I felt Nadal was needed was when Ferrer got his *** handed to him by Djokovic at the AO. When Nadal is playing well he's needed to balance out draws, but we had plenty of exciting matches without him.

That said, I'm glad he's back, but I wasn't crying myself to sleep when he was gone.

vive le beau jeu ! 02-16-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouCantBeSerious (Post 7218844)
This is professional tennis, not a walk in the park. Even a relative mug is a good player, and if you are away from the courts for almost 7 months it's expected that you will have trouble.

i wish clarky was right, but i'm afraid you've got a point. i prefer to be cautious: i won't celebrate his downfall until he's really out of the top 1000 or officialy retired from tennis for poker/fishing/curling/etc.
he's won way too many matches in those 2 weeks... :(

axel89 02-16-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vive le beau jeu ! (Post 7218865)
i wish clarky was right, but i'm afraid you've got a point. i prefer to be cautious: i won't celebrate his downfall until he's really out of the top 1000 or officialy retired from tennis for poker/fishing/curling/etc.

the same for federer

YouCantBeSerious 02-16-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Mais... pour quoi? Pour quoi? :confused:

CCNM 02-16-2013 03:21 PM

Didn't even know he wasn't playing (LOL).

YouCantBeSerious 02-16-2013 03:22 PM

Nadal is at the center of the two most engaging rivalries of the past 10 years. For that reason alone, I think anybody not blinded by hate might welcome his return. Without Nadal, Federer would have 26 slams and counting at this point.

Vlad_C 02-16-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Canadian fans would love nothing more than to see Nadal taking on a curling career. We'd pay good money to see that.
But sadly, that will never happen. Curling is very tough on the knees. Seriously.

Still, it's good to see he's still as crazy as ever. Just saw his match today, still a basket case, jumping over lines, picking his pants, water bottles and all. They even showed a slo-mo replay of him carefully avoiding stepping on the lines as he was headed back to the chair!
I was afraid he might have used his time off for some therapy sessions with a shrink, but no such thing, he's still the same.

Clarky21 02-16-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouCantBeSerious (Post 7218844)
You are kidding, right? Sometimes I have trouble telling with you.

The guy just came back from an extended lay off period. Do you people really expect him to come back at a level where he isn't going to struggle?

No, I am not kidding. He is struggling with guys that live on the challenger tour, and have a losing record there as well. Injury layoff or not Nadal should not be struggling this badly with these types of players.

And this tournament is the first one Nalby has played in 6 months yet I don't see him struggling with clowns and mugs like Nadal is.

The-Champ 02-16-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouCantBeSerious (Post 7218874)
Nadal is at the center of the two most engaging rivalries of the past 10 years. For that reason alone, I think anybody not blinded by hate might welcome his return. Without Nadal, Federer would have 26 slams and counting at this point.

And that's exactly the reason why ****s want to see him dead and burried..

RAFA2005RG 02-16-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouCantBeSerious (Post 7218874)

And if that happened Federer would not even be considered a top 3 player in history, because everyone knows Sampras is better than Federer on grass and arguably hardcourt too. 26 slams for Federer would just prove that he's in the weakest era in history. Nadal has saved Federer's legacy by giving Federer some relevance - although its common knowledge that we are at least in the weakest grasscourt era ever. We are in the best baseliner era ever, hence the best clay era ever. But the level on grass has been horrific since top dogs Rafter, Goran and Sampras disappeared.

Relinquis 02-16-2013 03:38 PM

i think it would be awesome to see him overcome his injuries, adapt his game and win some important titles again.

guy is a fighter for sure.

YouCantBeSerious 02-16-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7218884)
No, I am not kidding. He is struggling with guys that live on the challenger tour, and have a losing record there as well. Injury layoff or not Nadal should not be struggling this badly with these types of players.

And this tournament is the first one Nalby has played in 6 months yet I don't see him struggling with clowns and mugs like Nadal is.

Please, don't compare Nalbandian with Nadal. Their situations are completely different. And Nadal relies on his physique far more than Nalbandian (Nalbandian at one point was so fat that his arse had its own Zip Code), so it's to be expected he has been more affected by the layoff. And Nalbandian's layoff has been around 2 months shorter than Nadal's.

I can't remember the last time you showed any positive attitude towards Nadal. It can get a little tiring. If, on the other hand, you are anti-jinxing him, congratulations. I guess you weren't trying hard enough during Wimbledon.