Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Michael Russell: Novak is at a different level than Murray, Federer and Rafa (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455022)

5555 02-17-2013 07:21 AM

Michael Russell: Novak is at a different level than Murray, Federer and Rafa
 
"Novak kind of plays like Andre [Agassi], dictating points and you feel like you have no breathing room, but at same time he serves better than Andre did,” Russell said at San Jose SAP Open. “But his return is by far the best. He cracks winner off first serves. I was talking to Ryan Harrison’s coach about his match against Novak at the Australian Open and Ryan served close to 70 percent of his first serves and Novak won 6-1, 6-2, 6-3. He’s hitting 110 MPH returns . I think Novak is at a different level than Murray, Federer and Rafa. The scary thing with Novak is he actually has room to improve. He has so many opportunities to come to net and transition, but he’s so good from the ground and at moving he’s content to nail it to one corner, have it floated back, let it bounce and then nail it to another corner. He could finish points faster, but I’m not going not going to tell him that"

Link http://www.10sballs.com/2013/02/15/m...ovak-djokovic/

pug 02-17-2013 07:35 AM

Michael should know. He is almost as knowledgeable as some of the posters here.

tennisaddict 02-17-2013 09:08 AM

Is that the reason why he lost FO to Nadal, wimby to Fed and USO to Murray ?

Gonzo_style 02-17-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisaddict (Post 7219981)
Is that the reason why he lost FO to Nadal, wimby to Fed and USO to Murray ?

we are in 2013

Tropikal_Knights 02-17-2013 09:31 AM

Mentally I would say he is tougher than all 3. But at their primes Fed has the edge over him

90's Clay 02-17-2013 09:36 AM

Rafa and Fed are on their way out the door with a million more miles on their body then Djokovic , and Murray is an inferior version of Djokovic and everyone ranked from rank 5 down on tour completely SUCKS.

I would hope at this point in time Novak is on a different level

SLD76 02-17-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 7220080)
Rafa and Fed are on their way out the door with a million more miles on their body then Djokovic , and Murray is an inferior version of Djokovic and everyone ranked from rank 5 down on tour completely SUCKS.

I would hope at this point in time Novak is on a different level

we dont often agree.

heck, we never agree.

but, *nods* QFT

tennisaddict 02-17-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo_style (Post 7219998)
we are in 2013

Yes, but we are barely a month into it. What is relevant is the performace over the last 4 majors.

If he wins 5 majors between wimbledon and FO , we can accept he is in the level of Sampras and Nadal.

kishnabe 02-17-2013 11:10 AM

Everyone markets the new slam winner as better than previous great champions.

Like the hype the hell out of Federer being better Sampras....which he is right now.....at that time it was wrong.

Right now Novak level is not better or ever was better than Federer 04-06 or Nadal 08,10.

Fedal at their peak would be Djokovic at his peak. Djokovic game takes the bland base lining game to small bevel higher.

TMF 02-17-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5555 (Post 7219701)
"Novak kind of plays like Andre [Agassi], dictating points and you feel like you have no breathing room, but at same time he serves better than Andre did,” Russell said at San Jose SAP Open. “But his return is by far the best. He cracks winner off first serves. I was talking to Ryan Harrison’s coach about his match against Novak at the Australian Open and Ryan served close to 70 percent of his first serves and Novak won 6-1, 6-2, 6-3. He’s hitting 110 MPH returns . I think Novak is at a different level than Murray, Federer and Rafa. The scary thing with Novak is he actually has room to improve. He has so many opportunities to come to net and transition, but he’s so good from the ground and at moving he’s content to nail it to one corner, have it floated back, let it bounce and then nail it to another corner. He could finish points faster, but I’m not going not going to tell him that"

Link http://www.10sballs.com/2013/02/15/m...ovak-djokovic/

AS of today yes, especially comparing to a 31 years of Fed. However at their prime, it's (1)Federer, (2)Nadal, (3)Nole, (4)Murray.

dunlop_fort_knox 02-17-2013 12:38 PM

here's the thing. if novak wins the calendar slam this year he will leap to the very top of GOAT rankings. yes even above rogi.

Steve0904 02-17-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunlop_fort_knox (Post 7220645)
here's the thing. if novak wins the calendar slam this year he will leap to the very top of GOAT rankings. yes even above rogi.

No he will not. Only in the minds of the insane will that be the case.

pds999 02-17-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 7220080)
Rafa and Fed are on their way out the door with a million more miles on their body then Djokovic , and Murray is an inferior version of Djokovic and everyone ranked from rank 5 down on tour completely SUCKS.

I would hope at this point in time Novak is on a different level

I would disagre that Rafa has a million more miles on the clock now. They are the same age and Djok has really had to go to the well in the last 18 months in so many matches whereas Nadal has just had 7 months off.

I think both at their best then Rafa wins on clay, Djok on all but the very slowest hardcourts and grass it's a toss of a coin. Nothing between them.

AbsoluTennis 02-17-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunlop_fort_knox (Post 7220645)
here's the thing. if novak wins the calendar slam this year he will leap to the very top of GOAT rankings. yes even above rogi.

Now thats absolut nonsense...
but i ve to agree that with Novaks Return hes dominating Rafa and Fed, and with Rafa not in top shape and besides that only a thread on clay, and Fed getting older Novak could stay on top for a really long long time.

Relinquis 02-17-2013 12:54 PM

michael russell would do well to emulate his new idol...

Cosmic_Colin 02-17-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pds999 (Post 7220657)
I would disagre that Rafa has a million more miles on the clock now. They are the same age and Djok has really had to go to the well in the last 18 months in so many matches whereas Nadal has just had 7 months off.

I think both at their best then Rafa wins on clay, Djok on all but the very slowest hardcourts and grass it's a toss of a coin. Nothing between them.

On grass, peak Rafa > peak Novak. Just compare the number of Wimbledon finals.

Djokovic might improve his grass game, but right now it's his weakest surface.

Towser83 02-17-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishnabe (Post 7220442)
Everyone markets the new slam winner as better than previous great champions.

Like the hype the hell out of Federer being better Sampras....which he is right now.....at that time it was wrong.

Right now Novak level is not better or ever was better than Federer 04-06 or Nadal 08,10.

Fedal at their peak would be Djokovic at his peak. Djokovic game takes the bland base lining game to small bevel higher.

I would say peak for peak

Federer >>> Djokovic at US Open
Federer >>>>>>> Djokovic at Wimbledon
Federer > Djokovic on clay
Djokovic >>> federer Plexicushion

(not sure about rebound ace)

Nadal >>>>>> Djokovic on clay
Nadal >> Djokovic on grass
Djokovic >>>>> Nadal on HC

that's just a rough score

Mainad 02-17-2013 01:05 PM

Djokovic is clearly the best player on the tour. The rankings don't lie.

But I'm not sure I agree with Russell that he's on such a different level that it's not possible to beat him. Within the last 12 months, he's lost to Nadal on 3 occasions (MC, Rome and RG), Murray on 3 occasions (Dubai, Olympics and USO) and Federer at least once (Wimbledon) and had some really close matches with them even when he won (AO final against Nadal, AO semi against Murray, Shanghai final against Murray).

He also had a narrow escape against Wawrinka at the recent AO. Wawrinka had chances to win that match.

It's certainly difficult to beat Djokovic. But it is by no means impossible.

The-Champ 02-17-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pds999 (Post 7220657)
I would disagre that Rafa has a million more miles on the clock now. They are the same age and Djok has really had to go to the well in the last 18 months in so many matches whereas Nadal has just had 7 months off.

I think both at their best then Rafa wins on clay, Djok on all but the very slowest hardcourts and grass it's a toss of a coin. Nothing between them.

Rafa is a year older but in his teens, already a slam winner and had several masters titles. He started out earlier and will burn out earlier than Novak.

veroniquem 02-17-2013 01:14 PM

I don't think he's at such a different level. Things are pretty tight at the top. But he's won 5 out of the last 7 finals he's played (over the last 6 months). So, he's the man to beat on hard, yeah. On clay, it's still Nadal.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse