Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Choosing a racket for 13 yo beginner (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455030)

rmccarty 02-17-2013 09:11 AM

Choosing a racket for 13 yo beginner

I need some racket advise for my almost 13 y.o. daughter. She's an absolute beginner but is athletic. She's approximately 5ft tall. She has attempted play a couple of times with a 25" Wilson Tour with 3 5/8 grip. She likes the racket, but I think the grip is a bit too small for her. IMO, the length of the racket is too short, as well. I had her hold my Pro Kennex Bronze Ace and my Prince Graphite Comp. Both have 4 1/4 grips. Those grips are too large for her. She didn't like the rackets at all because they are too heavy for an 85 lb girl. I think the PK & Prince rackets are a bit intimidating as well - maybe due to their length. But no 13 y.o. girl would admit that.

I've read the several buyer's guides and pro advise on the 'net for buying rackets including junior rackets. They advise going to 27 inch rackets if over 12 and over 5ft tall.

Should I put her in longer racket even though she doesn't want to?

pkshooter 02-17-2013 09:28 AM

Yes..........

Smasher08 02-17-2013 09:50 AM

No need for a kids's racket for her. What will be important is grip size. At 13 that's probably a L1.

As for which model, get her something she that's got a good weight and head-light balance. Avoid something too light or too large headed since it will be more difficult for her to learn proper stroke technique with those.

Wilson 6.1 95 (any of the iterations except for the Lite)
Wlson BLXPS 6.1 95
Head Instinct MO

EDIT: just re-read your post and noticed she's 85 lbs. Perhaps the Lite models are the way to go in that case.

NLBwell 02-17-2013 10:04 AM

She's as tall as many fully grown adult females. She should have an adult racket - she isn't 8 years old. At her weight, there is nothing wrong with a very light racket until it gets overpowered by opponents who hit hard. When she gets to playing at that level, she should have the strokes for a heavier racket.

DustinW 02-17-2013 10:43 AM

Agree on the adult racket. My suggestion is the Babolat Pure Drive Lite... easy to swing, comfortable, and something that will grow with her as she improves.

Overdrive 02-17-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustinW (Post 7220357)
Agree on the adult racket. My suggestion is the Babolat Pure Drive Lite... easy to swing, comfortable, and something that will grow with her as she improves.

Really? A Babolat?

That racquet has a stiffness rating of 67...

There are many frames that are better than this without causing injury to the arm/shoulders/wrist...

I suggest the OP with a Boris Becker Delta Core London. :)

MikeHitsHard93 02-17-2013 11:07 AM

Get her a Head Microgel Radical OS. You really cannot go wrong with it and its cheap.

Overdrive 02-17-2013 11:20 AM

Actually, any racquet that isn't too stiff can be useful for your daughter.

When she gets better, she can have a better idea on choosing the right racquet for herself. :)

TTech321 02-17-2013 11:52 AM

Yes, adult frame, but stay away from stiff racquets for a beginner. Something around 10.5oz is good, slight head light balance, not too much though cause a little weight in the head is good for learning proper strokes.

Overdrive 02-17-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTech321 (Post 7220565)
Yes, adult frame, but stay away from stiff racquets for a beginner. Something around 10.5oz is good, slight head light balance, not too much though cause a little weight in the head is good for learning proper strokes.

Yeah, that sounds good.

I remember going to a tournament on Friday and 80% of the players were using Babolats, 15% Walmart/Academy/Dick's/Generic Sporting Goods racquets, and 5% other (Head, Prince, Wilson, etc.).

:shock:

marosmith 02-17-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7220428)
Get her a Head Microgel Radical OS. You really cannot go wrong with it and its cheap.

I agree with this.

rmccarty 02-17-2013 01:56 PM

Thank you all! Please continue your great suggestions.

I should have added that I'm seeking an inexpensive racket - new or used - because she may not be dedicated to this. At the same time, I would also like find a racket with good shock absorption and vibration control. She seems to be in a stage where she gets injured periodically. I don't want to put too much stress on her growing body.

I need to make a spreadsheet with the specs of each racket you all are suggesting so I can easily see the specs vs price. I don't want a $30 racket if it's going to cause her shoulder, arm or wrist problems. Conversely, I can't see paying $100 for a used racket which she may use for a few weeks or months. Well, I could justify it if I could use it. But I'm looking for a Volkl V1 Classic. I don't think that's good choice for my daughter at this time - maybe in the future if she continues playing. Feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm looking for a decent racket that absorbs shock and vibration but at the same is fairly inexpensive if I buy used - $40 or less.

MikeHitsHard93 02-17-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmccarty (Post 7220799)
Thank you all! Please continue your great suggestions.

I should have added that I'm seeking an inexpensive racket - new or used - because she may not be dedicated to this. At the same time, I would also like find a racket with good shock absorption and vibration control. She seems to be in a stage where she gets injured periodically. I don't want to put too much stress on her growing body.

I need to make a spreadsheet with the specs of each racket you all are suggesting so I can easily see the specs vs price. I don't want a $30 racket if it's going to cause her shoulder, arm or wrist problems. Conversely, I can't see paying $100 for a used racket which she may use for a few weeks or months. Well, I could justify it if I could use it. But I'm looking for a Volkl V1 Classic. I don't think that's good choice for my daughter at this time - maybe in the future if she continues playing. Feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm looking for a decent racket that absorbs shock and vibration but at the same is fairly inexpensive if I buy used - $40 or less.

In all honesty, you're not going to find many rackets at less than $40. There are plenty of rackets that would be a good choice but the price range is $60-$100 which is actually relatively cheap. That's my .02

MikeHitsHard93 02-17-2013 02:12 PM

Maybe this?->http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/orde...l?pcode=WBXBTE

Stardust 02-17-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTech321 (Post 7220565)

Agree! Great choice is Wilson Blade 104 and even better if you find somewhere the older BLX Blade Team (softer and cheaper).
Another great frame is Prince EXO3 Rebel Team 98. Later you could add some weight to the handle to increase the static weight and move the balance to more HL. Also look at Prince EXO3 Tour Team 100.
Also a great stick for your gitl: Pacific X Feel Tour
Something lighter and very appropriate: Head YOUTEK IG Radical S

rmccarty 02-17-2013 02:25 PM

I could go a little higher in price. Saving a little money is not worth an injury. At the same time, she's in the newborn stage of learning and needs a very entry level racket- even if I have to sell it and buy another one in 6 months.

The local county parks & rec division offers tennis lessons beginning in the spring. I want to get a racket that she can get a feel for before lessons begin.

Overdrive 02-17-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmccarty (Post 7220866)
I could go a little higher in price. Saving a little money is not worth an injury. At the same time, she's in the newborn stage of learning and needs a very entry level racket- even if I have to sell it and buy another one in 6 months.

The local county parks & rec division offers tennis lessons beginning in the spring. I want to get a racket that she can get a feel for before lessons begin.

When taking her to lessons, be sure to stick around to see how the coach and co. teaches his pupils.. :)

Some of these coaches and 'pros' out here are scamming people.. :mad:

rmccarty 02-17-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7221070)
When taking her to lessons, be sure to stick around to see how the coach and co. teaches his pupils.. :)

Some of these coaches and 'pros' out here are scamming people.. :mad:

Good advise! Thank you Overdrive! I asked for comments on the local county forum. I live in a rural county of approximately 60k. I don't think many kids or adults have taken the lessons as the parks & rec didn't offer them until last year. If I don't get positive comments, I'll go to the adjacent county. There's tennis club approximately 35 minutes from my house. I know the pro; went to high school with him. I know he runs a very well-respected facility.

prjacobs 02-17-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmccarty (Post 7221127)
Good advise! Thank you Overdrive! I asked for comments on the local county forum. I live in a rural county of approximately 60k. I don't think many kids or adults have taken the lessons as the parks & rec didn't offer them until last year. If I don't get positive comments, I'll go to the adjacent county. There's tennis club approximately 35 minutes from my house. I know the pro; went to high school with him. I know he runs a very well-respected facility.

You've just answered your question. Go talk to your friend about a racquet. And a teacher for your daughter. Find out who the teachers at the park are and get their background info.

rmccarty 02-17-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7220834)

Thank you Mike!