Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Why no talk of the new Graphene MP? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455034)

JackB1 02-17-2013 09:53 AM

Why no talk of the new Graphene MP?
 
I would like to hear from anyone else who has tried the new Head Graphene 16 X 19 racket. I am quite surprised there is not more discussion going on regarding this stick? I tried it the other day just demoing for 30 minutes or so and thought it was quite a good stick that would appeal to a broad range of people. Definitely more powerful than the previous MP315. Very easy to use racket large sweet spot, good power...only thing lacking was a little bit of plow through which could be fixed with some lead tape in the hoop and on the handle.
Didn't feel overly stiff or overly flexy...somewhere in the middle. Anyway I was quite impressed with it and would love to try it again with about a half oz added to it overall without changing the balance.

Would love to hear from anyone else that has tried it and what were your thoughts? To me this racket reminded me of something along the lines of a BLX Pro Open.

srvnvly 02-17-2013 10:03 AM

Jack - I bought one of these and have it modified to 11.4 oz, with a swing weight around 328. I still don't have the stability in the hoop that I want, so I've taken some of the weight out of the throat and added 2 grams each at 3 and 9. Stock weight, the racquet does not cut it for me, and I have yet to find a setup I like, but I will keep trying. Serving - both power and direction - has been the best part so far. Slices are also good; ground strikes and volleys aren't there yet.

parasailing 02-17-2013 10:16 AM

I also tried out this racquet and though I love how balance the racquet felt and how easy it was to generate racquet speed, there was just a lack of plow through with this racquet. I added quite a bit of lead but still could not get it to the feel and stability of the Graphene Pro, PSTGT, or Pro Stock TGK 260.2.

It definitely is good for serving given the ease of generating racquet speed and I might pick one up used when the price comes down just to play around with.

JackB1 02-17-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvnvly (Post 7220224)
Jack - I bought one of these and have it modified to 11.4 oz, with a swing weight around 328. I still don't have the stability in the hoop that I want, so I've taken some of the weight out of the throat and added 2 grams each at 3 and 9. Stock weight, the racquet does not cut it for me, and I have yet to find a setup I like, but I will keep trying. Serving - both power and direction - has been the best part so far. Slices are also good; ground strikes and volleys aren't there yet.

how does it compare to your blade 98?

srvnvly 02-17-2013 12:40 PM

It's better on the arm overall, but better especially on serving. I can't, though, find that good impact feel of a forehand/backhand or punch of a put-away volley.

JackB1 02-17-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvnvly (Post 7220651)
It's better on the arm overall, but better especially on serving. I can't, though, find that good impact feel of a forehand/backhand or punch of a put-away volley.

I know what u mean. How much and where did you try lead tape?

srvnvly 02-17-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7220722)
I know what u mean. How much and where did you try lead tape?

2 grams each at 3 and 9;2 grams in the throat; 6 on the handle.

Centerforward71 02-17-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7220179)
I would like to hear from anyone else who has tried the new Head Graphene 16 X 19 racket. I am quite surprised there is not more discussion going on regarding this stick? I tried it the other day just demoing for 30 minutes or so and thought it was quite a good stick that would appeal to a broad range of people. Definitely more powerful than the previous MP315. Very easy to use racket large sweet spot, good power...only thing lacking was a little bit of plow through which could be fixed with some lead tape in the hoop and on the handle.
Didn't feel overly stiff or overly flexy...somewhere in the middle. Anyway I was quite impressed with it and would love to try it again with about a half oz added to it overall without changing the balance.

Would love to hear from anyone else that has tried it and what were your thoughts? To me this racket reminded me of something along the lines of a BLX Pro Open.

I have been using the 18x20 did not know they were making an 16x19.

I can tell you I am upgrading all my speed MP 315 16x19s to the 18x20 speed pro. If you are asking about this one I can tell you that I am still tuning my string setups but so far this stick is awesome and the control I get from it is second to anything I have ever tried in the past. The lauch angle, adequate spin, penetrating power and over all fee of this stick is just top notch for me.

Just put in some gut mains poly hybrids to test.

I can tell you that I put in some Tier One triumph multi and would have to say that it may be the best setup i have ever played, yes ever.

with that said I want to say that I am EXTREMELY dissapointed with both the grommets and the grip on this racquet, HEAD TERRIBLE JOB there. I hope they upgrade this soon.

Federerkblade 02-18-2013 03:32 AM

hi CentreF

What are the gut poly sets ups and what tension and pls report back

almagro 02-18-2013 07:17 AM

Loved it when I demoed it, and will be my future racquet unless I like the new Dunlops that should be out today...Well they were supposed to be out on Friday but they were delayed until Sunday and they still aren't out.

Agreed about the lack of plow-through

JackB1 02-18-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvnvly (Post 7221426)
2 grams each at 3 and 9;2 grams in the throat; 6 on the handle.

And that didn't give u better plow thru? That sounds like about what in would do myself..

Veninga 02-18-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by almagro (Post 7222170)
Loved it when I demoed it, and will be my future racquet unless I like the new Dunlops that should be out today...Well they were supposed to be out on Friday but they were delayed until Sunday and they still aren't out.

Agreed about the lack of plow-through

Previous version lacked plowthrough 2. Also the prestige s. Something to do with low swingweight or rare 'tripod' shape of the racket?

NetNinja68 02-18-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvnvly (Post 7221426)
2 grams each at 3 and 9;2 grams in the throat; 6 on the handle.

Add another layer of lead.

srvnvly 02-18-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7222264)
And that didn't give u better plow thru? That sounds like about what in would do myself..

Correction: Previously, it was 1 gram at 3 and 9; I just added the extra gram and will see how it plays tonight.

srvnvly 02-18-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvnvly (Post 7223028)
Correction: Previously, it was 1 gram at 3 and 9; I just added the extra gram and will see how it plays tonight.

Update: I think I found the right setup with this racquet. Volleys and my 1HBH became much better as the evening wore on.

JackB1 02-18-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvnvly (Post 7223558)
Update: I think I found the right setup with this racquet. Volleys and my 1HBH became much better as the evening wore on.

Care to share what that setup is?

almagro 02-19-2013 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veninga (Post 7222484)
Previous version lacked plowthrough 2. Also the prestige s. Something to do with low swingweight or rare 'tripod' shape of the racket?

Probably a combination of the two - played with racquets with lower swingweights that had much more plowthrough

srvnvly 02-19-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7223580)
Care to share what that setup is?

This: 2 grams each at 3 and 9;2 grams in the throat; 6 on the handle. I need to re-take measurements for final weight, and I just downloaded swingTool for my iPhone to check swingweight.

In the 3rd hour last night, after 4 sets of doubles, and as tired as I was, I played a set of singles against a hard-hitting friend of mine. I lost the set, but I felt great with many shots I could hit against him, countering his hard shots to me. He ranks between a 4.0 and 4.5, and hits harder than most of my other opponents, which is why I like trying new racquets/ racquet setups with him.

YesTennis 02-22-2013 06:59 AM

Anybody have any updates on this racquet(Graphene Speed MP). I have used a demo for about 2 hours total. The first was strung with Sonic Pro and for me definitely lacked power. The second demo had FXP Tour full bed, and it felt much better. It was easy to generate racquet head speed. Was thinking about trying one with gut/poly as some posters have used with the closed pattern Pro version. I'm a little concerned about the problems with the grommet strips as described on another thread. Would appreciate any thoughts or updates from anyone who has played more extensively with the open pattern MP. Thanks in advance.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse