Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   String break mid job. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455055)

pkshooter 02-17-2013 12:13 PM

String break mid job.

Do I complain to tw( I bought it from here).
I was pulling 60 lbs on a main and it snap, but I had a second package. However that snapped too, when I was pulling tension. It was 17 gauge technifiber black code.

Andyroo10567 02-17-2013 12:38 PM

Did you use a calibrator and check how much tension you were really pulling?

mmk 02-17-2013 01:28 PM

Sorry for the obvious, but did you check the grommets? What kind of stringer are you using? If a drop weight, did you start with the bar down or up?

pkshooter 02-17-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyroo10567 (Post 7220767)
Did you use a calibrator and check how much tension you were really pulling?

No I don't have a calibrator, but I ve been told my stringer strings a bit soft.

pkshooter 02-17-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmk (Post 7220880)
Sorry for the obvious, but did you check the grommets? What kind of stringer are you using? If a drop weight, did you start with the bar down or up?

The grommets are good. I use a drop weight, and I started the bar up.

pkshooter 02-17-2013 04:43 PM

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I did end up finish string the racket.

rich s 02-17-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkshooter (Post 7221256)

Do you force the bar down, drop it down or lower it gently?

mmk 02-17-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkshooter (Post 7221256)

With a drop weight and poly, you are better off starting with the bar down, lifting up a bit above horizontal, and repeating until you get a feel for how far to lift up to start. Poly doesn't stretch enough to start with the bar up.

pkshooter 02-17-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich s (Post 7221306)
Do you force the bar down, drop it down or lower it gently?

At sixty pounds the bar will always go down below horizontal and need to be crank. So I have to cusion the bar down.

pkshooter 02-17-2013 06:59 PM

Guys I'm more interested with how I get my money back. I've strung around a 100 rackets, which I know doesn't make me a pro, but I've been around the block a couple times. Is it my fault? Or is it the string. This has never happened to me before.

mad dog1 02-17-2013 08:09 PM

i could be off base, but given that you don't know how to install grommet strips properly after having strung 100 racquets, i'm more inclined to believe the string snapped due to operator error.

however, if your 2 sets of TF Black Code had QC issues, it likely affected an entire mfg batch/run of string and wasn't only isolated to your sets so you can try calling up TW and ask if they've had a rash of recent breakage reports. if alot of folks have been reporting the same issue, they might do something for you.

pkshooter 02-18-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad dog1 (Post 7221658)
i could be off base, but given that you don't know how to install grommet strips properly after having strung 100 racquets, i'm more inclined to believe the string snapped due to operator error.

however, if your 2 sets of TF Black Code had QC issues, it likely affected an entire mfg batch/run of string and wasn't only isolated to your sets so you can try calling up TW and ask if they've had a rash of recent breakage reports. if alot of folks have been reporting the same issue, they might do something for you.

For the grommet strips, turns out my client gave me 85 grommets with bumber guard, but the racket she gave me was a pst per bumber guard. I was under the assumption that the two were compatible. But I do know how to install new grommets.
I guess I'll contact tw.

Steve Huff 02-22-2013 04:29 PM

I think drop-weight machines with the clam tensioners are hard on polys as they tend to kink the string when it goes around the half circle. I'm surprised more people using Klippermates or Gamma's entry level machine aren't writing about string failures.

MikeHitsHard93 02-23-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmk (Post 7221356)
With a drop weight and poly, you are better off starting with the bar down, lifting up a bit above horizontal, and repeating until you get a feel for how far to lift up to start. Poly doesn't stretch enough to start with the bar up.

What do you mean "bar down"?

Irvin 02-23-2013 12:04 PM

If you lift the bar up to let it come to rest the bar must fall over 90 degrees to get back to level. Poly string done not stretch that much sometimes so you may never get to level. If you let the bar fall past the level position it will come to rest with much less of an angle. Then you lift the bar just past level and release so the bar does not have to travel as far.

MikeHitsHard93 02-23-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7232364)
If you lift the bar up to let it come to rest the bar must fall over 90 degrees to get back to level. Poly string done not stretch that much sometimes so you may never get to level. If you let the bar fall past the level position it will come to rest with much less of an angle. Then you lift the bar just past level and release so the bar does not have to travel as far.

K thanks

10chars