Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   leather overgrip? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455057)

dustin4vn 02-17-2013 12:47 PM

leather overgrip?

is there such thing as leather overgrip? ...
I like the original leather on my blx blade tour, but the grip is small, i want to apply overgrip so it'll fit my hand.

Dags 02-17-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustin4vn (Post 7220780)
is there such thing as leather overgrip? ...
I like the original leather on my blx blade tour, but the grip is small, i want to apply overgrip so it'll fit my hand.

No. Your best bet is to take off the leather grip, apply a heat shrink sleeve (TW sell them in both half and whole sizes), and then put the leather back on.

If you don't like the idea of that, consider selling / trading your racquet to get one with the proper grip size.

Muppet 02-17-2013 01:18 PM

Or you could use a thicker leather grip like the Volkl or Boris Becker one. I think the Becker has a special on it if you buy more than one. I have it on one of my racquets and it does add some weight and will probably change the balance of your racquet. Otherwise, it's nicely firm and comfortable with a Dunlop Viper Dry overgrip over it.

robbo1970 02-18-2013 02:42 AM

OP......

Buy a thin leather replacement grip, remove the double-sided tape on the inside, gentle stretch it by hand then wrap it over the top of your current grip. Worth a go I reckon.

struggle 02-18-2013 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dags (Post 7220795)
No. Your best bet is to take off the leather grip, apply a heat shrink sleeve (TW sell them in both half and whole sizes), and then put the leather back on.

If you don't like the idea of that, consider selling / trading your racquet to get one with the proper grip size.

this. you may also want to add lead to the frame b/c the sleeves do add some weight. (to achieve the same balance).

robbo1970 02-18-2013 06:34 AM

Even easier (and easily un-done if you change your mind) would be to wrap an overgrip flat without overlapping on the bare racquet handle, then put the leather over the top. It'll be the same size as leather plus overgrip, but in reverse, giving you the surface feel you like.

My tip to anyone putting a grip on their racket, don't staple, get some double-sided tape, remove the beginning section of the tape on the grip and replace with a small trimmed section of your new double-sided tape. It sticks and starts the grip wrapping so much better.

corners 02-18-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbo1970 (Post 7222203)
Even easier (and easily un-done if you change your mind) would be to wrap an overgrip flat without overlapping on the bare racquet handle, then put the leather over the top. It'll be the same size as leather plus overgrip, but in reverse, giving you the surface feel you like.

My tip to anyone putting a grip on their racket, don't staple, get some double-sided tape, remove the beginning section of the tape on the grip and replace with a small trimmed section of your new double-sided tape. It sticks and starts the grip wrapping so much better.

Overgrip under leather is awful in my experience. You lose all bevel definition. I would go with the suggestion of replacing existing leather base grip with thicker leather from volkl/becker, or wrapping one or two thicknesses of athletic tape under current leather grip. Athletic tape is easy to work with, not too heavy and won't obscure the bevels as much as a heat shrink sleeve, in my experience anyway.

robbo1970 02-18-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corners (Post 7222262)
Overgrip under leather is awful in my experience. You lose all bevel definition. I would go with the suggestion of replacing existing leather base grip with thicker leather from volkl/becker, or wrapping one or two thicknesses of athletic tape under current leather grip. Athletic tape is easy to work with, not too heavy and won't obscure the bevels as much as a heat shrink sleeve, in my experience anyway.

Yeah athletic tape, even better. Ive never tried it to be honest, I just thought it might work as the same process but the other way around. But I guess layers of athletic tape to keep the bevel feel would be better.

I expect the thing with going with a thicker grip, no matter what method you use, you are going to lose some bevel feel.

Muppet 03-16-2013 04:25 PM

I didn't notice any difference in using gauze tape to build up under the overgrip, leather 1st layer. And I overlaped the gauze by half to get double the thickness.