Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Opened Natural Gut (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455061)

Rjtennis 02-17-2013 02:10 PM

Opened Natural Gut

What is the best way to store natural gut after the retail packaging seal has been opened? Also, how long does gut stay good outside of the packaging? Thanks for your help!

db10s 02-17-2013 02:30 PM

If you have a vacuum sealer, I would recommend using that. Or just a Zip-Lock bag.

Rjtennis 02-17-2013 03:36 PM

I don't have a vacuum sealer, but I do have it in a zip lock bag. Should it be good for a week or two until I restring?

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-17-2013 04:22 PM

Zip-lock bag and throw a moisture absorbing pack in there. Like the ones you find from new shoes/clothes.

McLovin 02-17-2013 04:30 PM

Years ago I ordered gut in bulk from Bow Brand. I spoke with the sales rep and asked the same question. She said to simply store it in a ziplock bag in an area with a constant cool temperature (e.g., basement) away from direct sunlight.

If you do that, it can last for years.

db10s 02-17-2013 04:35 PM

It'll be fine in a zip lock for a week or two.

Dags 02-18-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 7221144)
Years ago I ordered gut in bulk from Bow Brand. I spoke with the sales rep and asked the same question. She said to simply store it in a ziplock bag in an area with a constant cool temperature (e.g., basement) away from direct sunlight.

If you do that, it can last for years.

It's worth noting that Bow Brand don't even bother to vacuum seal their packs, so they clearly aren't overly concerned about the gut drying out.

If you follow McLovin's advice, it'll be fine for a long time (unless your basement is somewhat damp like mine, in which case you're better off picking a different room).

scotus 02-18-2013 03:48 PM

Some of you seem to think of natural gut as raw meat about to be spoiled.

But NG is far from being that perishable. It is treated with preservatives to begin with, and the coating makes it last a long time.

Well packaged natural gut will last decades without losing much playability.

Lambsscroll 02-18-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rjtennis (Post 7221024)
I don't have a vacuum sealer, but I do have it in a zip lock bag. Should it be good for a week or two until I restring?

Dude! for 2 weeks it could be stored in your Levis pocket and it would still be good to go.

Rjtennis 02-19-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambsscroll (Post 7223463)
Dude! for 2 weeks it could be stored in your Levis pocket and it would still be good to go.

How long do you think it remains good to go in a zip lock bag? A year? Six months?

I imagined it would be good for a little while but had no idea how long. I just started stringing and playing with gut mains so its all pretty new. I've just heard so many stories about how delicate it is. So far I think stringing just gut mains is fairly straightforward. Based on post and articles I had read I was worried that it was really going to be a hassle.

JT_2eighty 02-19-2013 08:53 PM

The key with gut is to avoid kinking during stringing and to avoid heavy moisture. As long as those are met, it is a very resilient string.

It should be fine for a year or more even in just a ziplock.

ultradr 02-20-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotus (Post 7223219)
Some of you seem to think of natural gut as raw meat about to be spoiled.

But NG is far from being that perishable. It is treated with preservatives to begin with, and the coating makes it last a long time.

Well packaged natural gut will last decades without losing much playability.

+1,

naturally "cured" meat last long too. :)

NLBwell 02-20-2013 09:16 PM

Think of it as beef jerky.

zapvor 02-20-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7227493)
Think of it as beef jerky.

minus the taste. not that i have tried.........