Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What do you all think of David Goffin? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455083)

Nickzor 02-17-2013 07:02 PM

What do you all think of David Goffin?

Just watched highlights of him from last years French Open against Federer.

I think he's great! great movement, great groundstrokes, and i love his attitude, he doesn't walk around with a brutal intense look on his face like Nadal, he doesn't walk around like his invincible like Djokovic, he doesn't overreact or anything. He's also very Federer-esque like, very smooth and fluid style, very pretty and fun to watch lol.

He just seems to lack the Firepower the top 10-15 have, but I think he can definitely improve and maybe put on a little more size to add more weight to the ball. I hope to see alot of him in the future

Moose Malloy 02-17-2013 07:26 PM

got double bageled by Nieminen this week

iradical18 02-17-2013 07:35 PM

Hadn't seen him play before but I just checked out some stuff of his on youtube and he looks good. He can definitely improve in a few areas but looks really promising, I hope he sticks around.

Nickzor 02-17-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose Malloy (Post 7221468)
got double bageled by Nieminen this week

Yeah i saw that, for now he seems to be someone who plays better on the occasion, I mean someone to get double bageled by nieminen isn't that same player that took a set of Fed in a Grandslam and outplayed him at times. What i mean is because it was Goffin's first ever match at the main Stadium at a Grandslam he played veryy well against Federer, He seems to play a lot better when his playing on a big court as well as a big occasion.

Tenez101 02-17-2013 07:58 PM

Solid 5.0 (would beat McEnroe).

InspectorRacquet 02-17-2013 07:58 PM

I like him. He definitely has potential (or room for improvement. Hard to tell.)

He drifts behind the baseline quite often, which works fine on clay but not on hard courts. He is a streaky player at the moment, but is fun to watch on a good day.

ruerooo 02-17-2013 08:16 PM

Roger had some nice words for him at that RG match. He needs seasoning. It's one thing to play one great match against a great champion (it makes you better) -- it's another thing to do it consistently, month after month, year after year. Milos is getting better, but he had to step it up. David will learn.

I happen to like Rafa's intense look.

DeShaun 02-17-2013 08:19 PM

If he gets serious and maximizes his potential I can see him settling into being a Baghdatis-level player for many years. He will have to keep himself in great shape if he wants to keep on pounding away at the ball because he lacks the physical mass needed to generate extra pace simply by leaning into his shots; and so, he will have to stay light and springy on his feet--but if Justine Henin could handle the women's tour for a few years with an ultra aggressive all court game as well as she did, maybe DG can do something similar, because DG sure is an aggressive little player.

papertank 02-17-2013 08:24 PM

The kid definitely has potential, but he hasn't proven himself in any way really yet. It's up to him to turn that potential in to actual results. Getting bagelled by a career journeyman won't help.

mbm0912 02-17-2013 08:27 PM

He plays very well for being twelve years old.

OddJack 02-17-2013 10:02 PM

Harry Potter of Tennis.

fuzzyball 02-18-2013 04:40 AM

Top 30 material at best.

Relinquis 02-18-2013 04:52 AM

very talented. would love to see more of him. people here always extrapolate too much from players latest match(es).

Everyone* gets double bageled from time to time.

Who is his coach?

* it hasn't happened to me yet

High street sw19 02-19-2013 02:28 AM

He reminds me a bit of Rochus.....both of them and not because he is Belgian.

spperry 02-19-2013 12:53 PM

plenty of talent but dont see him top 10

depends as well how hard he works and needs to put some solid weeks back to back so he can rise up the rankings