Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Did anyone see Nadal's father's reaction to him winning Sao Paulo? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455088)

Sid_Vicious 02-17-2013 08:06 PM

Did anyone see Nadal's father's reaction to him winning Sao Paulo?
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...3szs3dIw#t=38s

Wow. You could watch that and get the idea that Nadal is some journeyman who just won his first ATP title at 27.

Tenez101 02-17-2013 08:10 PM

Indeed, seems like a pretty emotional guy.

Compare to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w_zPeQfW6E

Also, what was Rafa saying to the umpire at the end?

ruerooo 02-17-2013 08:14 PM

He can't be proud of and happy for his son, a great champion, whose long-term health and career goals were in question for the better part of a year?

You TT posters are so hardcore.
:roll:

DeShaun 02-17-2013 08:16 PM

It looks like Rafa, while shaking the umpire's hand, may have been complaining about something. His face is all screwed up like he's wincing while he's waiting for the umpire's response to whatever question or suggestion Rafa had put to him.

Tenez101 02-17-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeShaun (Post 7221557)
It looks like Rafa, while shaking the umpire's hand, may have been complaining about something. His face is all screwed up like he's wincing while he's waiting for the umpire's response to whatever question or suggestion Rafa had put to him.

Maybe something about the general court/tournament conditions? Though they looked ok in the final.

The_Order 02-17-2013 08:39 PM

LOL Sid, if your kid ever became as successful at tennis as Rafa, you'd be reacting the same way, probably worse.

Lovely_Bone 02-17-2013 09:30 PM

Proof that the injury was real.

JSouza 02-17-2013 09:31 PM

Yeah I thought it was great and totally justified. He saw the pain, mental and emotional, that Nadal went through at Wimbledon, then missing the olympics and so on, not knowing if he'd ever be back. It was a nice moment.

OddJack 02-17-2013 10:00 PM

He is up for some suffering.

Sid_Vicious 02-17-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruerooo (Post 7221555)
He can't be proud of and happy for his son, a great champion, whose long-term health and career goals were in question for the better part of a year?

You TT posters are so hardcore.
:roll:


It wasn't a criticism.

:roll:

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Order (Post 7221612)
LOL Sid, if your kid ever became as successful at tennis as Rafa, you'd be reacting the same way, probably worse.


No doubt, but I'd imagine after 8 years of my kid playing world-elite tennis, the happiness would have sunk in.:) Again, it was not a critique of Nadal's dad. He usually did not get that emotional even after Nadal won grand slams. He must have been really worried about Nadal's career during that injury layoff.

Sri 02-17-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid_Vicious (Post 7221543)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...3szs3dIw#t=38s

Wow. You could watch that and get the idea that Nadal is some journeyman who just won his first ATP title at 27.

Maybe he bet some money on this result and got a huge pay off?

Virginia 02-18-2013 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeShaun (Post 7221557)
It looks like Rafa, while shaking the umpire's hand, may have been complaining about something. His face is all screwed up like he's wincing while he's waiting for the umpire's response to whatever question or suggestion Rafa had put to him.

He was complaining about the fact that he'd been given a time violation warning. He thinks because Bernardes is his friend, he should be immune from such indignities. Bernardes stood his ground apparently and Nadal looked pretty sour about it.

RAFA2005RG 02-18-2013 01:53 AM

Bernardes gave Nadal a time-violation just to make trouble. I saw it, and the point had just finished, Nadal had just received a ball and there is no way in hell that was 25 seconds. Bernardes was just trying to make trouble. And by the way, Bernardes and Nadal are enemies and always have been. This is one of many occasions where Nadal and Bernardes have crossed swords. Definitely the worst umpire Nadal has ever had to deal with.

vive le beau jeu ! 02-18-2013 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenez101 (Post 7221549)

cheatin'nad, angry dad, uncle phony... i love this family.

Crisstti 02-18-2013 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFA2005RG (Post 7221865)
Bernardes gave Nadal a time-violation just to make trouble. I saw it, and the point had just finished, Nadal had just received a ball and there is no way in hell that was 25 seconds. Bernardes was just trying to make trouble. And by the way, Bernardes and Nadal are enemies and always have been. This is one of many occasions where Nadal and Bernardes have crossed swords. Definitely the worst umpire Nadal has ever had to deal with.

Please. Rafa and Bernardes are not "enemies".

I don't know if it was 25 seconds or not. I thought he said something about Nalbandian not being ready either at the moment.

Relinquis 02-18-2013 04:55 AM

injury was (is) real.

Bartelby 02-18-2013 05:01 AM

It's all irrelevant. There's a new interpretation of the rule and you are not the time keeper. Nadal just has to play a tiny bit faster.



Quote:

Originally Posted by RAFA2005RG (Post 7221865)
Bernardes gave Nadal a time-violation just to make trouble. I saw it, and the point had just finished, Nadal had just received a ball and there is no way in hell that was 25 seconds. Bernardes was just trying to make trouble. And by the way, Bernardes and Nadal are enemies and always have been. This is one of many occasions where Nadal and Bernardes have crossed swords. Definitely the worst umpire Nadal has ever had to deal with.


pound cat 02-18-2013 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisstti (Post 7221946)
Please. Rafa and Bernardes are not "enemies".

I don't know if it was 25 seconds or not. I thought he said something about Nalbandian not being ready either at the moment.

He was asking Bernardes not to be so strict with the time between points. It was a rather impassioned plea by Rafa.

There is no consistency from umpires with regard to the time rule. It seems to depend on the personality of the umpire.

Interesting to see Rafa holding Bernardes's hand while stating his case. He made sure that he had Bernardes had his undivided attention. Interesting psychological manoevre.

vernonbc 02-18-2013 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSouza (Post 7221688)
Yeah I thought it was great and totally justified. He saw the pain, mental and emotional, that Nadal went through at Wimbledon, then missing the olympics and so on, not knowing if he'd ever be back. It was a nice moment.

It was indeed. Rafa is so close with his family and they are the only ones who know what he's gone through the past eight months, all the disappointments and withdrawals and pain and work and rehab and hopes and dreams. I'm glad his father was there to share this moment with him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartelby (Post 7221988)
It's all irrelevant. There's a new interpretation of the rule and you are not the time keeper. Nadal just has to play a tiny bit faster.

True. Overall I think Rafa has done very well the past couple of weeks adapting to this rule change. His opponents have been penalized more often than he has. I don't mind him having a hissy fit with the umpire during his match though. It happens so seldom and invariably it fires him up and he becomes unbeatable. Don't **** Rafa off!!! :-D

RAFA2005RG 02-18-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartelby (Post 7221988)
It's all irrelevant. There's a new interpretation of the rule and you are not the time keeper. Nadal just has to play a tiny bit faster.

Watch the match before you post about it, because that umpire doesn't deserve to umpire an under 12s tennis match. Nadal will never forgive him for this. Although I think we could have said that about all of their previous exchanges. Nothing new from this chair thugpire.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse