Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Serve Analysis/feedback (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455093)

bandyman35 02-17-2013 09:19 PM

Serve Analysis/feedback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmcGAgsToFc this is the most recent video of myself serving. Any comments would be appreciated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A3ez...ture=endscreen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etQ5MtZjR-c

these are a little older

Head Pegger 02-17-2013 09:40 PM

what you need to work on is clearly self evident.
But if you must correct something I'd find that if you keep
your tossing arm up longer and in a steeper vertical angle
your serve would be easier on the eye.

corbind 02-17-2013 10:25 PM

Toss the ball farther into the court. After the serve you are landing still behind the service line. That makes me think a toss more into the court will make your body follow.

bandyman35 02-18-2013 12:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I've only been seriously playing for almost a year, and because my tennis team had been so dominant lately, (we had 9 seniors last year) we now have a very weak team and I'll have to play 1 seed doubles, 2 seed singles, so I'm getting any help I can

LeeD 02-18-2013 04:33 PM

Good swing.
Inconsistent leg work. On one of the 4 serves, you make the effort to actually land your right foot inside the court. The other 3 are lazy tentative serves.

bandyman35 02-18-2013 07:26 PM

Yeah, of course I have more leg explosion in a match situation, I had just finished 20-ball rally drills so I was a little tired there. Haha.

corbind 02-18-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandyman35 (Post 7223012)
Thanks for the feedback! I've only been seriously playing for almost a year, and because my tennis team had been so dominant lately, (we had 9 seniors last year) we now have a very weak team and I'll have to play 1 seed doubles, 2 seed singles, so I'm getting any help I can

Well for playing a year you're fantastic. I was nowhere near your level after playing even 4 years.

bandyman35 02-18-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corbind (Post 7223603)
Well for playing a year you're fantastic. I was nowhere near your level after playing even 4 years.

Thanks, I worked my butt off all summer and winter to get where I am, I regret not going with the 2h backhand though, I've hit a one hander rather inconsistently, (other than the slice, which is my go to shot) and Now it's just too close to the season to change. I'll just work on the one hander. The kind comments are much appreciated though.

Cheetah 02-18-2013 08:10 PM

You know that's a slice serve and not a kick serve, right?

bandyman35 02-19-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheetah (Post 7223642)
You know that's a slice serve and not a kick serve, right?

. The app I use automatically names any video I record as kick serve for some reason though. I don't know why.

LeeD 02-19-2013 09:41 AM

You cannot answer a critique with.... "I am perfect, the vid I showed was me after I got shot and run over by a car".........

LeeD 02-19-2013 09:41 AM

We don't care about your excuses, unless you post them FIRST!.
We only see the vid.

Govnor 02-19-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7224488)
You cannot answer a critique with.... "I am perfect, the vid I showed was me after I got shot and run over by a car".........

haha!

I see a nice enough swing. As stated, you need to have some forward movement. You're basically just jumping there and not going anywhere, meaning there is a lot of arm and not a lot of legs/body momentum. Not what you want.

bandyman35 02-19-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Govnor (Post 7224508)
haha!

I see a nice enough swing. As stated, you need to have some forward movement. You're basically just jumping there and not going anywhere, meaning there is a lot of arm and not a lot of legs/body momentum. Not what you want.

Thanks everyone for the swing compliments and leg tips. Do most of you drag the back foot up next to the front foot or keep your legs stationary?

LeeD 02-19-2013 04:18 PM

Stationary feet is called platform. Federer.
Dragging feet is called pinpoint... about 70% of the ATP.
About 80% of WTA.
And me. Pinpoint loads you forwards so you move forwards on EVERY serve, regardless of tired, lazy, or just don't care.

Overdrive 02-19-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandyman35 (Post 7223012)

This is what's happening to our team next year. :(

bandyman35 02-19-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7225296)
Stationary feet is called platform. Federer.
Dragging feet is called pinpoint... about 70% of the ATP.
About 80% of WTA.
And me. Pinpoint loads you forwards so you move forwards on EVERY serve, regardless of tired, lazy, or just don't care.

Thanks for that. Always nice to learn new terminology. The only thing about pinpoint is more moving parts, more room for error.

bandyman35 02-19-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7225320)
This is what's happening to our team next year. :(

Gotta tell you man, it sucks, no one new wants to try out because they know they won't get to play, and then everyone leaves and you have to start the program over. :(

Nellie 02-20-2013 11:36 AM

I agree with the above comments regarding more knee bend and tossing more into the court. I would also suggest turning more (more of your back to the back).

The way you would use the above-identified starting points, is getting your front hip far into the court while your feet stay behind the baseline (i.e., forming archers bow ) so that the toss into the court and the straightening of your legs pushes your front hip foward and into the court. Note that the contact point, relative to your body, and your arm motion stay the same, so you should not feel like you are falling forward or hitting the ball into the bottom of the net (common occurences when you swing the same, but toss further forward). The difference is that your whole body is moving forward into the serve.

bandyman35 02-21-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nellie (Post 7226820)
I agree with the above comments regarding more knee bend and tossing more into the court. I would also suggest turning more (more of your back to the back).

The way you would use the above-identified starting points, is getting your front hip far into the court while your feet stay behind the baseline (i.e., forming archers bow ) so that the toss into the court and the straightening of your legs pushes your front hip foward and into the court. Note that the contact point, relative to your body, and your arm motion stay the same, so you should not feel like you are falling forward or hitting the ball into the bottom of the net (common occurences when you swing the same, but toss further forward). The difference is that your whole body is moving forward into the serve.

Thank you for the hip advice, I had never heard that, that helps a lot.