Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Need help how to use a crank machine. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455106)

tennis4 02-18-2013 04:17 AM

Need help how to use a crank machine.

Yes, I am getting a crank! Very excited about it.

Can the masters here give me a tutorial how to use it? Thanks very much.

iradical18 02-18-2013 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis4 (Post 7222008)
Yes, I am getting a crank! Very excited about it.

Can the masters here give me a tutorial how to use it? Thanks very much.

I've strung plenty of racquets but never on a crank, you would benefit greatly from spending some time on youtube browsing stringing videos. There are pleeeenty out there, also the manual you get when your machine arrives should be helpful as well.

struggle 02-18-2013 05:37 AM

what did you purchase?

ditto on the videos. pay special attention to mounting the frame and the rest will come over time. try not to worry about your speed as it will come with experience.

Irvin 02-18-2013 06:01 AM

The only thing different about using a crank is how you pull tension. Place the string in the gripper and turn the crank. You don't know it yet but your real questions are not going to be how to use a crank.

tennis4 02-18-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7222137)
The only thing different about using a crank is how you pull tension. Place the string in the gripper and turn the crank. You don't know it yet but your real questions are not going to be how to use a crank.

Normally how slow (speed) do you slide the tension head? I heard the actual tension from a LO is lower than a CP, how do you address this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7222091)
what did you purchase?

ditto on the videos. pay special attention to mounting the frame and the rest will come over time. try not to worry about your speed as it will come with experience.

I am getting a Prince NEOS 1000. Like its simple design and low maintenance. I've used a X-2 for a while so this is new to me.

MAX PLY 02-18-2013 06:51 AM

Sounds like you are picking up that used Neos you mentioned in a different thread. You may also find that the Neos manual is helpful. If you are not getting one with the machine, I suspect several of us on this board can provide you with a pdf of one. Congrats and good luck.

struggle 02-18-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis4 (Post 7222217)
Normally how slow (speed) do you slide the tension head? I heard the actual tension from a LO is lower than a CP, how do you address this?

I am getting a Prince NEOS 1000. Like its simple design and low maintenance. I've used a X-2 for a while so this is new to me.

I take more than one, but less than 5 seconds to crank a string. Probably about three seconds. Not too slow, but not too fast. Find something, a pace, which you can repeat easily, over and over.

Next, you want to also clamp off your strings in an equally repeatable pace.

After that, you'll have to decide what gives you the reults you like, tension-wise (compared to your DW?).

If you still have the x-2, you could string rackets on each and see where they settle and come up with an adjustment factor if you must.

Irvin 02-18-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis4 (Post 7222217)
Normally how slow (speed) do you slide the tension head? I heard the actual tension from a LO is lower than a CP, how do you address this? ...

How slow you turn the crank determines how much stretch you take out of the string befor it locks out. Just do it the same each time. If a LO locks at 60 pounds it will do it over and over and over again. 60 pounds is 60 pounds no matter what it is pulled with. If a CP pulls at a higher tension it is overshoot or out of adjustment.

Here is why a LO normally produces a softer stringbed than a CP. when the tensioner locks out the string is help in the position it was in when the lock out occurred and no FUTHER stretching is done. Just clamp off and you are on to the next string. Nothing wrong with that as it produces a consistent string job.

When a CP pulls tension the stringer must then remove the last clamped string and move the clamps to the string being tensioned and clamp it. All the while while this is being done the CP continues to stretch the string as it relaxes so the string continues to be stretched. If you want to try to duplicate that process with a LO pull more than one time.

Here is a video showing that process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aYI5DXQxSA

If you want you can just pull once. If the string bed is too soft for you increase your tension. First things first though just start stringing and see how you like it when you are more familiar with the machine you can start refining your process to get more consistent. Don't think too much this is fun not work. LOL For some of us.

struggle 02-18-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7222253)
When a CP pulls tension the stringer must then remove the last clamped string and move the clamps to the string being tensioned and clamp it. All the while while this is being done the CP continues to stretch the string as it relaxes so the string continues to be stretched. If you want to try to duplicate that process with a LO pull more than one time.

Not sure what you mean here.

edit: i guess you're talking mains. yep, makes sense, nvm.

Irvin 02-18-2013 07:14 AM

Crosses also. When you pull tension with a CP you are still doing some operation to clamp it. All the while while up to the point when the string is clamped the CP is pulling stretch out of the string. In the crosses it is even more as the CP help to overcome friction of the mains.

struggle 02-18-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7222270)
Crosses also. When you pull tension with a CP you are still doing some operation to clamp it. All the while while up to the point when the string is clamped the CP is pulling stretch out of the string. In the crosses it is even more as the CP help to overcome friction of the mains.

yes but I, for some reason, was interpreting that you were removing last clamp before clamping next tensioned string on crosses.

text incommunicado. gotcha, it WILL continue to stretch/pull.

beernutz 02-18-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAX PLY (Post 7222234)
Sounds like you are picking up that used Neos you mentioned in a different thread. You may also find that the Neos manual is helpful. If you are not getting one with the machine, I suspect several of us on this board can provide you with a pdf of one. Congrats and good luck.

I agree it is very helpful. You can download it here: http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/pdfs/NEOSManual.pdf

tennis4 02-18-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7222253)
If you want you can just pull once.

When I pull the string again, should I clamp it before the 2nd pass, or do the 2nd pass right after the first one?

I am getting a brand new NEOS 1000, act on the advise from one of you. It will be here today and I will share the pictures here. Really excited about this, I can't wait!

struggle 02-18-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis4 (Post 7222322)
When I pull the string again, should I clamp it before the 2nd pass, or do the 2nd pass right after the first one?

I am getting a brand new NEOS 1000, act on the advise from one of you. It will be here today and I will share the pictures here. Really excited about this, I can't wait!

Just pull till lockout, then release the lockout and re-tension without letting the tension off the string (you'll have to barely "back up" to release the L/O). Keep your hand on the crank handle!!!!!!
Clamping each time wouldn't make much sense to me and also would become less consistent perhaps, pending the time you left it clamped.

If you're gonna double pull, develop a repeatable consistent method, just like the other movements made.

Irvin 02-18-2013 08:14 AM

tbuggle is correct

Irvin 02-18-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

I watched that video and now I understand why you asked the question. I put the clamp on the string primarily so you could see how much a string relaxes in about 5 seconds. Wth the close up of the clamp and the upper support you can see although the string is relaxing the distance between the support and the clamp never changes. It also enabled me to show you how the string was stretched more. You don't need to clamp your string until after the final pull.

MAX PLY 02-18-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Awesome on the new machine. Did you get the cover too? I really recommend that you keep it covered when not in use--much easier to keep it clean that way.

tennis4 02-18-2013 09:46 AM

oh, the cover wasn't mentioned in the description. Is it always part of the package?

It should be here today, we will see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAX PLY (Post 7222517)
Awesome on the new machine. Did you get the cover too? I really recommend that you keep it covered when not in use--much easier to keep it clean that way.

tennis4 02-18-2013 04:01 PM

The machine arrives!

It took me more than 10 minutes to push the tension head handle. Now I am looking to put the clamp in. Stupid? I question myself a few times already. When I pull the clamp bottom wide open, I still can't put it into the glide bar. Is it me or the precision issue? The side screw holding the glide bar are too tight that I don't want to use too much force...

Right now I am having a machine but not able to put them together. Laught, laught, laught hard ... I don't know what is going on.

tennis4 02-18-2013 04:25 PM

Ok, I just put it in.