Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Squash Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455116)

Dags 02-18-2013 06:31 AM

Squash Racquets

Tennis racquets the general recommended rule is to string the crosses top down.

For badminton, I think I recall someone on here say they should be strung bottom up.

What's the guideline for squash racquets? My gut says top down, but I figured it worth checking.

Lakers4Life 02-18-2013 09:02 AM

Whatever the manufacturer suggests. The last one I did was bottom up. Some Squash patterns are like racquetball rackets. All Prince Squash rackets are strung top down, like the O-ports.

Dags 02-19-2013 12:31 AM

What was the last one you did that was bottom up? I'm curious to see the head shape.

Thanks.

uk_skippy 02-19-2013 01:18 AM

I tend to try and do top down. Prince rqts naturally do this, plus its easier doing them 2 piece as they usually have double grommets & hard weaves.

I also see a lot of rqts where the manufacturer has strung it bottom up.

To be honest tensions are lower and I sees squash rqts as structually sound as a tennis rqt, so bottom up should cause any problems. As for head shapes, I see no difference afterwards.

Regards

Paul

Dags 02-19-2013 01:35 AM

I'm in the market for a squash racquet - I may just avoid the Prince's if they're rife with double grommets and hard weaves! I have to admit that I'm not entirely sure how you clamp the mains at the throat with the power ring system, as there doesn't look like there's room to get the clamp very close to it. But if I don't buy one, then it won't be a problem!

As a side note, when I wrote this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dags (Post 7223815)
What was the last one you did that was bottom up? I'm curious to see the head shape.

I just meant whether it was a closed or open throat. There was never meant to be an implication that the head shape might have altered after stringing; apologies to Lakers if it was interpreted that way.

uk_skippy 02-19-2013 02:36 AM

Dags, prince rqts aren't too bad once you know what you're doing. In saying that I see more mistakes on ring rqts than any other.

In answer to clamping near the o ring, you don't. You pull 2 main strings at once and from the head. Because of this I tend to string the mains a couple of pounds higher than crosses.

Regards

Paul

Irvin 02-19-2013 03:40 AM

Paul I have never strung squash rackets so I am not sure. If I were to string any racket pulling two strings I would use the 10% pre-stretch function. Do you think that may equalize the tension on the untensioned string?

Although I guess first I would try to measure the tension difference in the two strings to see what happens when double pulling is done.

uk_skippy 02-19-2013 04:18 AM

Irvin, TBH I don't think the 10% pre-stretch is needed. I'd prefer to stick to a few pound more so that those strings are set at a constant tension.

With squash stringing one tends to use low tensions, around 22-28lbs. 10% would make little impact as you'd only be adding on ~2lbs before settling back at the usual tension.

Regards

Paul

Irvin 02-19-2013 04:37 AM

Maybe but that extra 2-3 lbs could be enough to overcome the friction on the o-ring on the initial pull and when the tensioner drops back to normal the tensions would be equalized. Just a thought.

bbulla 02-19-2013 05:56 AM

I string a fair bit of squash, and own a Prince Speedport Black. The ring causes little to no friction, so I don't think you need to adjust the tension too much when stringing.

I try to do top-down for the crosses. On most squash I have come across (Tecnifibre, Black Knight, Oliver), I almost always do an ATW pattern. It seems to help, especially on the open throat racquets. Seems to keep tension on the bottom crosses better, as opposed to bottom-up.

Remember to #Vote4Squash on twitter and #BackTheBid to get squash in the 2020 Olympics. Even Federer is backing the bid!!

:-)

Lakers4Life 02-19-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dags (Post 7223843)
As a side note, when I wrote this:

I just meant whether it was a closed or open throat. There was never meant to be an implication that the head shape might have altered after stringing; apologies to Lakers if it was interpreted that way.

No offence taken. It was a Wilson Sledge Hammer that I strunt Bottom Up, one piece. Squash racquets are very similar to racquetball raquets, in most ways they are strung much the same. I follow whatever the manufacturer recommends.