Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   My re-gripping tip.... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455117)

robbo1970 02-18-2013 06:40 AM

My re-gripping tip....

....I just thought I would pass on a positive idea/experience I had when re-gripping a racket.

I always find on grips that the trimmed bit at the beginning of the grip is always rubbish. Too narrow, poor adhesive and rarely lined up to the narrow part of the grip very well.

Here's my tip/solution. Gently pull away about that first inch of sticky tape on the grip and cut that bit of tape off. Then, get some decent double-sided tape (Scotch make a good one). Cut a small piece, about the same inch length and put it on the butt where you want to start your wrapping. Then start your wrapping process.

No need for staples and this gives you a really good, firm start. I find the beginning part of wrapping the most important and this will give you a floorless start.

I hope this helps. It certainly helped me.

The Meat 02-19-2013 12:20 AM

Edit: Deleted, thought this was about the overgrip.

robbo1970 02-19-2013 02:09 AM

Ahh, for overgrip...cut off the sticky part at the beginning. It just leaves goo on your grip and isnt necessary when wrapping an overgrip.

coachrick 02-19-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbo1970 (Post 7223866)
Ahh, for overgrip...cut off the sticky part at the beginning. It just leaves goo on your grip and isnt necessary when wrapping an overgrip.

Actually, in an emergency, start wrapping the non-tapered end and use the sticky at the top of the handle. No trim tape needed!

LeeD 02-19-2013 10:59 AM

Strange.
I've been regripping and overgripping rackets since 1974, and at least hundreds for shop customers.
Never had a problem with a grip coming loose. Not one customer ever complained about a grip coming loose.
I don't know.

robbo1970 02-20-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7224670)
Strange.
I've been regripping and overgripping rackets since 1974, and at least hundreds for shop customers.
Never had a problem with a grip coming loose. Not one customer ever complained about a grip coming loose.
I don't know.

Where was it mentioned about a grip coming loose? Youve mentioned your eyesight problems before Lee :)

My tip was with regards to the bit of double sided tape on the tapered beginning part of a racket grip. To get a better start to re-gripping, I used a fresh piece of double-sided tape and it made the start considerably better and neater than with just the tape that was originally on the grip.

It was only to help out and give people an idea, if they wanted to try it for themselves, that was all.

If you haven't got anything positive to add or just feel the need to make negative swipes when someone is just trying to help in a positive way then write your posts elsewhere. I'm sorry to have a go, because you do know I respect your views and knowledge, but your comment serves no purpose whatsoever, in what is supposed to be a thread to help people out.

corbind 02-24-2013 04:42 PM

Hey Robbo could you take a few pictures and post them here next time you regrip a racquet? I'm love pictures to go along with the step-by-step. Glad you posted!

mikeler 02-25-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachrick (Post 7224389)
Actually, in an emergency, start wrapping the non-tapered end and use the sticky at the top of the handle. No trim tape needed!

This is what I wrap all my overgrips. Have not needed the tape in years.

novak.20v 02-26-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Strange.
I don't know.

Could you re-grip my racquets? I totally fail at putting on leather grips.

robbo1970 02-26-2013 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corbind (Post 7234435)
Hey Robbo could you take a few pictures and post them here next time you regrip a racquet? I'm love pictures to go along with the step-by-step. Glad you posted!

I don't have a step by step guide, but here is the finished article.

I will be re-gripping racket no.2 at some point, so I will take some more pics then.

MAXXply 02-26-2013 04:24 AM

In my re-gripping experience, I have always found double-sided tape very helpful. Just bought a new pack today, matter of fact. I usually wrap some up the entire length of the handle to ensure proper adhesion, particularly when I am recycling a leather grip from elsewhere. The trickiest bit I find is the 1st wraparound and a half or so, as it inches upwards to the 2nd, I have a hard time preventing the leather from bubbling out as a result of either inadequate tautness or slippage.

Rogael Naderer 02-26-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Strange.
I don't know.

Good for you.

KoaUka 03-06-2013 04:01 PM

Ok, when you remove the original factory grip, I notice there's always this plastic sleeve type thing over the handle. Just curious on what you guys do with it.

Andyroo10567 03-06-2013 04:47 PM

I tear mine apart. Making sure its the bare handle.

robbo1970 03-07-2013 04:09 AM

I had one of the sleeves on a Prince racket. It was pretty much sealed on so I left it. But the Dunlop doesn't have one.

KoaUka 03-07-2013 10:51 AM

I concur w/ cutting/tearing it off.. makes it easier to apply the lead tape. I've noticed it on both prince and babolat grips

corbind 03-07-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoaUka (Post 7255438)
Ok, when you remove the original factory grip, I notice there's always this plastic sleeve type thing over the handle.

Anyone know its purpose? Moisture barrier? Mine always seem to be kinda like tape rather than cellophane. I rip it off when regripping but figure the racquet mfg put it there for some reason?