Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   multi/multi users out there? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455123)

DonDiego 02-18-2013 07:26 AM

multi/multi users out there?

This kind of setup doesn't seem to be popular, but lately I've had some arm issues and tried two multis in a hybrid. Rip control 17 mains, NXT 17 crosses (in a BLX 6.1 95, strung at 57) .

Comfort is exceptional, touch on volleys is much better than with any multi/poly setup, and I get more than enough spin, control and power on grounstrokes. Thin gauges help with spin, touch and comfort, RIP helps to tame the power and add control, and the explosive power and control of NXT is there when I need to rip a forehand DTL.

I used to play with RPM Blast 18 mains and NXT 17 (or RIP 17) in crosses, but I prefer the multi setup. NXT breaks first, but I get at least 10-12 hours of play, which is enough for me at that price.

Do you know (or use?) any multi/multi setup? Which combination is the best in your opinion?

**As a side topic: I find that 16 and 17 gauge of the same string are often two completely different strings. This is particularly true for NXT and RIP Control. 17 being much better in both cases.

lstewart 02-18-2013 08:01 AM

If I was playing a non-poly set-up and it suited my game, I would stick with it. For me it seems to be all about trade-offs. I've generally been playing a poly main - multi cross hybrid. Great for topspin strokes, but I seem to generate too much spin on slice backhands and they sail long. Also am not crazy about my volley with poly in the frame. Have one racket that just has basic synthetic that came in it, and it feels much better on volleys and slice. Just don't get enough topspin. If I ever found any reasonably priced non poly that did not break right away, and that I got enough topspin with, I would be happy.

dabudabuda 02-18-2013 08:07 AM

If the two strings are distinctly different then it makes sense to combine to get the characteristics you like from both. The RIP seems good for the mains in your setup for the added control. I personally do not prefer full multi, gut or a hybrid of these as I like the added control of hybrid with a poly. I have though a couple times done Isospeed Classic in the mains with a natural gut in the cross to get more of a controlled response compared to gut/Isospeed.

DonDiego 02-18-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstewart (Post 7222375)
If I was playing a non-poly set-up and it suited my game, I would stick with it. For me it seems to be all about trade-offs. I've generally been playing a poly main - multi cross hybrid. Great for topspin strokes, but I seem to generate too much spin on slice backhands and they sail long. Also am not crazy about my volley with poly in the frame. Have one racket that just has basic synthetic that came in it, and it feels much better on volleys and slice. Just don't get enough topspin. If I ever found any reasonably priced non poly that did not break right away, and that I got enough topspin with, I would be happy.

Try Rip control 17 on mains, and your prefered poly on crosses. You'll see a huge difference with volleys (comfort and control) and won't lose much else.

DonDiego 02-18-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabudabuda (Post 7222390)
If the two strings are distinctly different then it makes sense to combine to get the characteristics you like from both. The RIP seems good for the mains in your setup for the added control. I personally do not prefer full multi, gut or a hybrid of these as I like the added control of hybrid with a poly. I have though a couple times done Isospeed Classic in the mains with a natural gut in the cross to get more of a controlled response compared to gut/Isospeed.

It also depends on your racquet. I use a very headlight, control racquet with a 95 head. Not sure I would use this setup on a 100 head more evenly balanced.

lstewart 02-18-2013 11:23 AM

Thanks Don. I've actually still got a few sets of RIP Control. I used to use it as my cross string with poly mains. I need to give it a try in the mains.

DonDiego 02-18-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstewart (Post 7222780)
Thanks Don. I've actually still got a few sets of RIP Control. I used to use it as my cross string with poly mains. I need to give it a try in the mains.

Like I said in the OP, I prefer the 17 gauge version of this string. But even the 16g will add much comfort to your volleys. The 16 gauge has a very «dead» feel to me, but it helps if you want to control your power. It has less «spin potential» than the 17g version, but spin is much more function of your technique than your strings.

I used to have both my racquets strung with RPM blast/RIP, but one with the poly on the mains, and one with the opposite. I hated practicing volleys for half an hour with poly on mains...

fortun8son 02-18-2013 11:48 AM

While it is technically a multi/multi setup, the RIP/Isospeed design is so radically different that it should be in a class by itself.
Sounds like a good combination.
Very much like Intellitour.

Relinquis 02-18-2013 12:35 PM

i use full bed multi at mid of range tension and restring when they break.. will probably go full nat gut next.

dabudabuda 02-18-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstewart (Post 7222375)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonDiego (Post 7222392)
Try Rip control 17 on mains, and your prefered poly on crosses. You'll see a huge difference with volleys (comfort and control) and won't lose much else.

That used to be my go to setup until I moved to the Isospeed Classic strings. Durability with the poly in the cross tends to be quite low with this setup so I would recommend string savers in the area that you wear out the most.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonDiego (Post 7222397)
It also depends on your racquet. I use a very headlight, control racquet with a 95 head. Not sure I would use this setup on a 100 head more evenly balanced.

I use a very headlight, control racket myself and still do not prefer full multi, gut or a combination of the two. But that's me...:)

morten 02-19-2013 02:52 AM

my best multi advice would be the yonex multi, 850, great

mikeler 02-19-2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morten (Post 7223895)
my best multi advice would be the yonex multi, 850, great

Too springy for me.

morten 02-19-2013 05:10 AM

mikeler, did you try the pro? 1,32... it is two versions.

bcart1991 02-19-2013 05:29 AM

I like Klipper Pearl Zone 17 (I know, verboten! on TT)in a full bed. It's a nice soft string, but maybe not as soft as X1B (never tried it, too $$$). For $7 a set it's a great string for the price.

mikeler 02-19-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morten (Post 7224004)
mikeler, did you try the pro? 1,32... it is two versions.

I used the Tour Super 850. So the Pro version is better?

morten 02-19-2013 07:00 AM

i onlytried the pro, and like it a lot, not springy imo at all, far less than x1, had to go down 2 pounds also.

mikeler 02-19-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morten (Post 7224165)
i onlytried the pro, and like it a lot, not springy imo at all, far less than x1, had to go down 2 pounds also.

I skimmed the TW reviews on it, quite a few positive comments.