Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Most Durable Multi For Hybrid with Black Code (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455153)

jftennis 02-18-2013 11:46 AM

Most Durable Multi For Hybrid with Black Code

As the title says, I am looking for a reasonably priced ($10 or under per pack multi) that will work in a hybrid with Black Code. I am looking for one that still feels pretty soft, but is closer to syn gut in durability. The ones I have currently tried out are as follows:

Wilson Sensation Control - feels good, broke after 3 days
Tourna Quasi Gut - good feel, 3 days
Isospeed Control (not classic) - great feel, very soft, 3 to 4 days

Any other suggestions? or is this basically as durable as multis are going to get, and I should start looking for decent syn guts?

Thanks for any replies/advice in advance!

P.S. - the multi will be in the crosses on a Head IG Prestige S

SJSA 02-18-2013 01:07 PM

Head Rip Control 16g is durable.
The color will be matched with Black Code as well.

jftennis 02-18-2013 01:26 PM

Thanks SJSA, I'll have to look into that one. Any others suggestions? I am open to syn guts too, as long as they are relatively high end. I've heard N.Vy is pretty good.

fortun8son 02-18-2013 02:35 PM

If the RIP Control doesn't do it, then you should definitely look at syngut.
I'm not sure why it needs to be high end.
While I'm sure you could tell the difference between reg Gamma Syngut and TNT2 in a fullbed, as a cross it would be much less noticable.
Don't dismiss OGSM because of it's price.
It makes a great cross for poly.

mikeler 02-18-2013 02:44 PM

Prince Premiere Attack 16

jftennis 02-18-2013 02:56 PM

Thanks guys. Those seem like great options. Buy high end I just meant a syn gut that had more of the softness of a multi, to soften up the stringbed a little. Opionins on N.Vy as well, or is it not that great in a hybrid?

jftennis 02-18-2013 04:38 PM

This could really be just for hybrid with any poly in general. Doesn't have to just be with Black Code.

mikeler 02-19-2013 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jftennis (Post 7223228)
Thanks guys. Those seem like great options. Buy high end I just meant a syn gut that had more of the softness of a multi, to soften up the stringbed a little. Opionins on N.Vy as well, or is it not that great in a hybrid?

My suggestion is a pretty soft string.

jftennis 02-19-2013 06:58 AM

I'll get some of that Prince Premiere Attack from TW to try out. It looks great. Thanks mikeler.

jftennis 02-19-2013 10:39 AM

Any syn gut suggestions? Opinions on N.Vy? Is it good in a hybrid? Thanks

000KFACTOR90000 02-19-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Any syn gut suggestions
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Kirs...-KSTDSG15.html

tball 02-19-2013 11:02 AM

Gamma TNT2

I myself hunted for soft strings to use as crosses in the past. Then I tried firmer ones, and found that they worked better with the (relatively stiff) polies.

Gamma TNT2 worked very well as a cross. It better than syn guts or Isospeed Classic or Head Rip Control or a few other (accidental) strings I tried. By better I mean it game a more uniform stringbed with a good spring-back effect, and it lasted noticeably longer than all others.

Syn guts produce a stingbed that's too dead for my liking, and soft multies produce a stringbed that's nice, but inconsistent (and seems to fluctuate a lot from day-to-day).

jftennis 02-19-2013 11:37 AM

I agree with you tball, some syn guts & multies can give a dead feel and lose tension quickly. I did not know that TNT2 had good durability, have to look into it. Is the Kirschbaum Synthetic Gut more durable than Tecnifbre's syn gut? That only lasts me 3 days, and they seem pretty similar. I might be totally off, though. Thanks

mikeler 02-19-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jftennis (Post 7224756)
I agree with you tball, some syn guts & multies can give a dead feel and lose tension quickly. I did not know that TNT2 had good durability, have to look into it. Is the Kirschbaum Synthetic Gut more durable than Tecnifbre's syn gut? That only lasts me 3 days, and they seem pretty similar. I might be totally off, though. Thanks

TNT2 does not seem all that different from a synthetic gut to me. I liked Gamma synthetic gut (non Wearguard) better than PSGD crosses BTW.

jftennis 02-19-2013 04:54 PM

Ok. Sorry to keep bringing it up, but is N.Vy a good option or not really? Thanks guys, I appreciate all the responses!

tball 02-19-2013 06:46 PM

Yes, of syn guts, N.Vy is probably the best. It is stiff and resilient, and works well as a cross.

All other syn guts -- Technifibre, Kirschbaum, etc -- feel about the same to me. I cannot tell the difference. They all last me about 1 week, in 17 guage. This is why I stopped using them. The two syn guts that last for me are Prince TopSpin 15L and Wilson Extreme Syn Gut (both are very stiff).

Isospeed Professional lasts longer, and Gamma TNT2.

Another interesting string for crosses is Gosen Nanoblend (gray/silver color). Of the syn guts I've tried it is probably the softest (* after Forten Sweet). Approaching the soft multies territory. I liked it better than Forten Sweet for crosses, but then again, I am favoring stiffer crosses when combined with poly.

So, I'd say: soft crosses: Forten Sweet, Gosen Nanoblen, Isospeed Professional, and all other solft multies. Isospeed has the best durability of this bunch.

More durability -- Gamma TNT2.

Even more durability -- Wilson Extreme Syn Gut.

jftennis 02-20-2013 03:13 PM

Does the black Prince Premiere Attack black play/feel any different than the natural color? if so, which feels/plays better?

Jackofalltrades 02-21-2013 02:40 AM

Reading about several multi's &synguts here a a cross,

What crossstring ( with Black Code mains) results in the least power:
Rip Control, NvY, Wilson Extreme Syngut, Premier Attack?

Any other crossstrings that soften up and improve control, not power?

mikeler 02-21-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackofalltrades (Post 7227761)
Reading about several multi's &synguts here a a cross,

What crossstring ( with Black Code mains) results in the least power:
Rip Control, NvY, Wilson Extreme Syngut, Premier Attack?

Any other crossstrings that soften up and improve control, not power?

RIP Control is lower powered than Premier Attack. I've got NvY at home but have not strung it up yet as a cross. Never tried the Wilson.

fortun8son 02-21-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7225297)
TNT2 does not seem all that different from a synthetic gut to me. I liked Gamma synthetic gut (non Wearguard) better than PSGD crosses BTW.

^^^ Gamma Syngut 16 works very well, indeed.