Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Volkl Organix 10 (325g), Previous Speed Pro and APDGT Lite String Advice (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455222)

AYone 02-19-2013 07:39 AM

Volkl Organix 10 (325g), Previous Speed Pro and APDGT Lite String Advice

Hey all, wondering if someone could give me some quick advice on some string set ups. My local tennis shop is selling the above Volkl on sale, so I'm going to bite with my racketholic ways. Also want to restring some of my current sticks.

1. I'm interesting in trying the popular pro hybrid set up -- i.e., VS 17 on mains and poly crosses -- on my Volkl and Speed Pro.

a. What tension do you recommend for these frames with such a set up? I was thinking something like 54/52, or maybe lower.

b. As an alternative, if you think either of these might be better with a full poly set up I would be willing to run with a full bed of something like Solinco Tour Bite. Please let me know what you think.

2. My wife wants to try a more sophisticated string set up for her APDGT Lite. She currently has Xcel 17. Do you think I should set her up with a poly main, multi cross set up, or fully poly? Recommended tensions? I don't want her to experience arm issues. She is an advanced beginner.

Thanks for your help.

NoQuarter 02-19-2013 10:03 AM

On the X10 325, if you have never used a Volkl before....be prepared to get used to the grip shape. Once dialed in thought, this stick is great!!! I do not know about a VS 17/Poly setup.....but have tried plenty All Poly's and Poly/Syn Gut setups. For me, I prefer the hybrid of Poly/Syn Gut in this racquet. It gives it the best "feel" of the ball, which is a complaint about this racquet from some. With all poly, I could not get that "feel".

Again, for me, my favorite setup and tension in this racquet is BHBR mains at 48 and Goshen Sheep crosses at 54. Cheap I know....but I'm telling you, I have great results with it!

Another thing with this racquet....SWING FAST AND HARD! You'll get the best results outta it....

goose guy 02-19-2013 10:16 AM

i put 4g of lead from 11-1 and balanced it with lead on the handle.

53 tonic gut/ 47 alu power
53 mamba gut/ 47 iontec salmon

That's my favorite setup. I have another with full gut but it's too powerful. Black widow 40/ 37 og sheep micro on my 3rd racquet but will try NoQuarter's recommendation of BHBr 48/ 54 og next time.

AYone 02-19-2013 11:42 AM

Thanks gents, appreciate the advice and will share feed back with my experiences.

I heard about the grip issue and wasn't completely thrown off when gripping the stocked rackets in the store, but maybe after playing I will notice it more.

Wow, do you really add weight to the frame. It's supposedly already 12.1 strung. I guess to each his own.

If I first tried full poly Tour Bites set up at a low tension, do you think that's a good starting point for the Organix, and then move on to the more advanced hybrids?

I have Tour Bites and ALU Rough sitting around my house, so I wanted to try to use one of them for the Speed Pro or Volkl.

goose guy 02-19-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AYone (Post 7224631)

Wow, do you really add weight to the frame. It's supposedly already 12.1 strung. I guess to each his own.

If I first tried full poly Tour Bites set up at a low tension, do you think that's a good starting point for the Organix, and then move on to the more advanced hybrids?

I really didn't like the racquet in stock form. Almost gave up on it until a forum member suggested adding lead. Stock swingweight was too low for me. Try adding weight if you're not 100% happy with stock.

Let us know how low tension works out. 35 lbs?

liam1 02-19-2013 02:06 PM

Have this racket with cyclone mains and wilson sensation crosses at 52lbs. Feels great but an going to try gut mains and msv co focus crosses in my next string job. BTW NoQuarter i see that you have your crosses strung tighter than your mains. Can you please explain the theory behind this set up and wheather i should do likewise with my next setup. Thanks in advance.

icarus180 02-20-2013 04:04 AM

In the X10, I do Pacific Classic and Co-Focus at 56/50 on a drop weight. Have messed around with many different tensions on this set up and this works best for my game. Very comfortable, lively, and spin-friendly.

wrxinsc 02-20-2013 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liam1 (Post 7224910)
Have this racket with cyclone mains and wilson sensation crosses at 52lbs. Feels great but an going to try gut mains and msv co focus crosses in my next string job. BTW NoQuarter i see that you have your crosses strung tighter than your mains. Can you please explain the theory behind this set up and wheather i should do likewise with my next setup. Thanks in advance.

In their case the cross is strung higher because they are using a poly main which should be strung approx. 10% looser than you would normally string a syn gut or multi. Their hybrid uses the syn gut in the cross so they strung that a little tighter.

With a natty gut main and a poly cross you can string with an even greater delta of higher tension mains to tame the natty gut and to soften a stiff poly string cross.

For full bed of poly I string the cross string about 2 or 3 lbs. looser and find I appreciate the feel of that string bed more than one tension for both.

I am hybriding poly and syn gut currently in my C10 Pro and stringing the crosses 4 lbs. tighter than the mains.

liam1 02-20-2013 02:16 PM

Icarus 180, I'm planning on using the same string setup as you but at 52_48. Have you tried this, how did it work? Thanks in advance.

GlenK 02-21-2013 04:44 AM

NM - Post was in wrong thread.

AYone 02-24-2013 04:42 PM

Strung up the Volkl at 53/50 with VS/4G. So far, really, really like it. The heft of the racket just tells the ball what to do and my instructor said my balls were coming in with a ton of spin. Plus the Organix dampening system is sublime. I don't even want to customize yet. Can't wait to get some more tennis in with it. Until later in the week...