Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Wind Chill of 23 degrees... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455241)

johndagolfer 02-19-2013 10:33 AM

Wind Chill of 23 degrees...

Would you send your kids out to play in gusting winds of 30 mph when it's that cold?

What if it meant they didn't make their school team?

hound 109 02-19-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndagolfer (Post 7224612)
Would you send your kids out to play in gusting winds of 30 mph when it's that cold?

Short answer: Yes.

Have them dress correctly, hydrate.....all the usual precautions.

Golfer....are you saying it's 23 degrees AND a 30 mph wind? Or with the 30 mph wind the wind chill is now down to 23 degrees (So basically 40 degrees & a 30 mph wind gets the wind chill down to 23 degrees?)

gavna 02-19-2013 10:45 AM

Been there and done it.......son no.1 had to play many time is cold and wind when we lived in Illinois for 3 yrs. Had ITF events in Scotland and UK in winter and late fall OUTSIDE! as well........bundled up and played on.

LeeD 02-19-2013 10:50 AM

Find somewhat wind protected courts.
Have them wear long underwear, longsleeve shirts under sweatshirts, and light gloves and hats.
You ski in much colder weather and never get cold, as long as you're moving.

gavna 02-19-2013 11:19 AM

I'm going to assume its like 40F with wind gusts that give you the 23F windchill......sounds like HS tryouts and having to use school courts - biggest issue will be the wind......duh.

Conditions will suck for both players - underarmour or Nike cold gear is great as its tight, warm, cuts the wind and elastic top and bottom will run you $75 to $100 depending on your shops. Benie or elastic headband with warm ear coverings a must.

I just remembered my youngest had a tourny in N Carolina a few months ago and he looked like he was about to go cross country skiing with fleece vests and cold gear tights.......it was like 35F but no wind thank god.

floridatennisdude 02-19-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndagolfer (Post 7224612)

Yes, and if they moaned about it I would tell them they are soft. Especially if the coach has told them they need to be there.

That being said, a coach using this day as a "try out" is pretty much an idiot. It's not likely that a dual match will play in similar conditions. I guess he is under the gun to get a lineup figured out soon or something.

Chemist 02-19-2013 11:34 AM

Need to know where the wind is blowing and make some adjustment accordingly. Need to hit balls hard and with tons of spins; hit more balls to the middle of the court. Spin serves, especially with wind in your back. Bring a towel - one will need it to clean up running noses. Playing in the wind would also cause dry eyes for kids who wear contacts, so bring eye drops.

gavna 02-19-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 7224730)
Yes, and if they moaned about it I would tell them they are soft. Especially if the coach has told them they need to be there.

That being said, a coach using this day as a "try out" is pretty much an idiot. It's not likely that a dual match will play in similar conditions. I guess he is under the gun to get a lineup figured out soon or something.

Totally agree........god HS Tennis still must bite.

NLBwell 02-19-2013 01:25 PM

Would I send my kids out in it? What kind of question is that? Would you never let your kids go outside and play in the snow?

johndagolfer 02-19-2013 01:59 PM

It was actually 35 with a wind chill of 23, 25 mph winds gusting to 40. The courts are on top of a hill with no protection from the wind other than wind screens. The main issue was that the kids would not be playing continuously. They are doing challenge matches with some playing and some waiting on the sides(with no shelter of any sort this would be brutal for anyone).

NLBwell 02-19-2013 02:51 PM

35 degrees, brutal?
Do you live in the tropics and not have any warm clothes for your kids?

Rina 02-19-2013 03:35 PM

My son played yesterday in a strong wind, cold and humid weather, so humidity added extra cold plus wind was brutal. I didn't even walk my dog! Did I liked hearing about it? No! Few times he played a tournament matches as the snow was still melting on the courts in the shade. I am not for it, I am not sure it "toughens them up" or any of that, I think it can cause sinus infections, viral infections, bronchitis, yes, I am old school. Why? While the body is working hard to keep it warm it is not able to work at defending the immune system from existing bacteria and viruses in body.

Chemist 02-19-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndagolfer (Post 7225026)
It was actually 35 with a wind chill of 23, 25 mph winds gusting to 40. The courts are on top of a hill with no protection from the wind other than wind screens. The main issue was that the kids would not be playing continuously. They are doing challenge matches with some playing and some waiting on the sides(with no shelter of any sort this would be brutal for anyone).

Bring a big blanket to keep him warm when he is not playing. My son's first 2 matches last year were played in low 30s, cloudy and windy. I watched the match inside of my car, while many boys were in T-shirts and shorts.

gplracer 02-22-2013 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemist (Post 7225636)
Bring a big blanket to keep him warm when he is not playing. My son's first 2 matches last year were played in low 30s, cloudy and windy. I watched the match inside of my car, while many boys were in T-shirts and shorts.

Sounds like the camp I was at last weekend.

High Rustler 02-26-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndagolfer (Post 7225026)

We don't get quite this cold, but I'd try to bring one of those outdoor heating element thingys on top of a gas grill propane cylinder -spelling- We got one very cheep at Home Depot. Keeps the kids/hands warm.