Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Volkl on Klippermate, 1st time. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455264)

liam1 02-19-2013 01:18 PM

Volkl on Klippermate, 1st time.

Received my new Klippermate today but a quick question or two before I start using it. My racket [organix 10 325] has small pieces of leather between the strings and grommets in the throat area. Can these be reused and what is their purpose. Lastly my current string job has tiny pieces of string between the grommets and knots. Should I look to replicate this set up? Thanks guy's, I don't want to mess up.

Lakers4Life 02-19-2013 02:02 PM

Those small pieces are called power pads, mainly found on older rackets. You can re-use them, or not, it's personal preference.

The knots with the piece of string in them are to keep the knots from pulling through the grommet. If you plan on tying off with a Parnell knot, you don't need it. Again it's personal preference if you do the same kind of knot.

Irvin 02-19-2013 02:11 PM

The power pads were used in the older wood rackets to soften up the string bed and provide a 'woofer' effect. There were also some more modern players that used them like Sampras in his rackets. They are not necessary.

The string inside the knot are used to hold the knot from going through the grommet but my question would be why. If you use a thin string and your grommets are worn badly maybe you need to replace the grommets. If they have been used in the past they tend to wear out the grommets even worse than a good knot so replacing the grommets may not be a bad idea. If you've never done it before it may not be a good idea either. LOL it really is not difficult but many people have troubles the first time or two.

liam1 02-19-2013 07:04 PM

Thanks guys. Irwin in reply to your observations it's a brand new racket and it was strung in the shop that way. From my very limited knowledge of stringing I also know he mixed up the tie off holes for mains and crosses. Will this make any difference?

Irvin 02-19-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liam1 (Post 7225594)
Thanks guys. Irwin in reply to your observations it's a brand new racket and it was strung in the shop that way. From my very limited knowledge of stringing I also know he mixed up the tie off holes for mains and crosses. Will this make any difference?

The tie offs for the mains on the racket are 6H and 7H. As long as he did not use 7H to start the crosses with a starting knot it should not matter which holes were used for tie off. If 7h were used as the tie off for a starting knot I doubt it would matter. I just wouldn't do it.

max 02-20-2013 06:28 AM

Interesting post. I string my old Volkls on a Kmate, too, and use the leather wedges (nowadays called "power pads" as a marketing ploy of some sort). The wedges are there to help smooth out the angle break the string takes at that point in the frame geometry, thus reducing possibility of a string break.

I've reused mine over and over and over again, having cut them from an leftover bit of leather grip sometime back in 2001.

Irvin 02-20-2013 06:55 AM

I'd be willing to bet if you took the power pads out the string would not break at the bend. Not saying it won't but I like Babolat's woofer description better. Not so sure about softening up the string bed either. I bought some hard plastic power pads when I first started stringing.

max 02-20-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7226240)
I'd be willing to bet if you took the power pads out the string would not break at the bend. Not saying it won't but I like Babolat's woofer description better. Not so sure about softening up the string bed either. I bought some hard plastic power pads when I first started stringing.

This is true. The pads are most useful for the old wood racquets, where you really do notice a sharp circumference change and tight string angle. Today's racquets don't have this. Yeah, my old Bancroft Super Winner has those plastic bits.

TennisCJC 02-21-2013 05:34 AM

Federer uses power pads so if you re-use them, you'll play just like Federer.

Irvin 02-21-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCJC (Post 7227945)
Federer uses power pads so if you re-use them, you'll play just like Federer.

Do I have to reuse Federer's or will any power pads do?