Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Cal Bears (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455273)

Golden_state_of_mind 02-19-2013 02:47 PM

Cal Bears

A team that does not get enough recognition on here is the Cal Bears. They do not play a creampuff schedule so they lose a good amount but that's because we play the very best in the nation. Cal has already played 3 of the top 4 teams in the nation. We do not load up with the UC Irvine or the Saint Mary or the Nevada like other teams do just to appear better. No Cal wants to get better! Dangerous team for the rest of the season.

What are your guys thoughts on the Bears?

socaltennnis 02-19-2013 03:54 PM

Not as good as previous years. Still top 16 talent, but a lot of 3 to 6 slot players on the team. Need someone like Pedro zerbini to round out that talent.

Golden_state_of_mind 02-19-2013 03:57 PM

We do need a more powerful #1 player. I think we have a deep team. Over the last few years I have been disappointed with our inability to recruit a top Californian talent. USC and UCLA get all of them. Why can't we get a Giron or a Sarmiento?

socaltennnis 02-19-2013 04:14 PM

They may have gotten more wins last week if they had riki mclachlan ready to play. Could potentially have moved up to top 10 in the new rankings.

Golden_state_of_mind 02-19-2013 04:54 PM

I can't watch the Cal women play. I get too nervous!

tennishmang 02-19-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden_state_of_mind (Post 7225255)
We do need a more powerful #1 player. I think we have a deep team. Over the last few years I have been disappointed with our inability to recruit a top Californian talent. USC and UCLA get all of them. Why can't we get a Giron or a Sarmiento?

Because the best california players want to go somewhere they can win a championship. That usually being either USC or UCLA or Stanford. Not to mention Cal's facilities and stadium are absolutely abysmal and Peter Wright isn't exactly the most lively of recruiters.

Cal should be much more lucrative once the stadium and facilities are upgraded. I know they're raising money now and hopefully will have a new facility in a few years.

Golden_state_of_mind 02-19-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennishmang (Post 7225543)
Because the best california players want to go somewhere they can win a championship. That usually being either USC or UCLA or Stanford. Not to mention Cal's facilities and stadium are absolutely abysmal and Peter Wright isn't exactly the most lively of recruiters.

Cal should be much more lucrative once the stadium and facilities are upgraded. I know they're raising money now and hopefully will have a new facility in a few years.

If a Giron or Sarmiento came here then we would win championships. We are not that far away. The facilities aren't bad and it hasn't slowed down the women's team. The program has been attractive to players of northern Europe as well.

Golden_state_of_mind 02-20-2013 07:52 AM

I;m very close to the women's team. Too close to really be a fan. That's why I follow the men's team as a fan more. Plus I like men's tennis better.

Golden_state_of_mind 02-20-2013 08:04 AM

Too much Bruin! Last year played those slickers 4 times. Don't want to do that again.

norcaltennisnut 02-20-2013 09:07 AM

Cal has a very good team this year, I hate to say it but I think Stanford will lose this weekend to the Bears. To your other concerns about Cal getting the top California kids I think that goes to their recruiting philosophy. Everyone knows Peter doesn't hit the recruiting hard and takes his recruiting overseas. I have heard he will offer walkon spots to California kids but does not like to give out the scholarship money to them. Plus, in past years I think the Cal team has been labeled as soft. I would think after this year Stanford should regain control of the Bay Area. I would like to see the Cardinal beef up the schedule next year. Nevada, Furman, SMC, and others is just not going to cut it. Should be a fun match this weekend

Golden_state_of_mind 02-24-2013 07:26 AM

Stanford going to get stomped today. Cut the trees.

Nostradamus 02-24-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden_state_of_mind (Post 7233455)
Stanford going to get stomped today. Cut the trees.

Bears will be caught in bear trap today

Golden_state_of_mind 02-24-2013 03:20 PM

So angering when we can't play the best line-up.

jaggy 02-24-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden_state_of_mind (Post 7226371)
I;m very close to the women's team. Too close to really be a fan. That's why I follow the men's team as a fan more. Plus I like men's tennis better.

Stories and pics of the women are now expected.

Golden_state_of_mind 02-24-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggy (Post 7234304)
Stories and pics of the women are now expected.

I could give those indeed, especially about one in particular... but this is a public forum man!

Golden_state_of_mind 02-24-2013 03:38 PM

Bayaaaaaane!!! Takes the lead in the 3rd

Golden_state_of_mind 02-24-2013 03:40 PM

Chop chop chop chop

Golden_state_of_mind 02-24-2013 03:47 PM

really proud of the boys today. Didn't even need out full line-up to beat Stanford. How often has that been said in history?

andfor 02-24-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden_state_of_mind (Post 7225582)
If a Giron or Sarmiento came here then we would win championships. We are not that far away. The facilities aren't bad and it hasn't slowed down the women's team. The program has been attractive to players of northern Europe as well.

Pepperdine and a few other schools could make the same argument.

Congrats on the win today.

Golden_state_of_mind 02-24-2013 07:04 PM

Ben crushed Morrissey, very nice. 3 starters were out!