Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Lebron or Jordan? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455322)

loci 02-20-2013 05:43 AM

Lebron or Jordan?

the following question was lifted from espn (lol). isiah thomas said that lebron james is probably a better athlete than michael jordan was. who do you think is the better athlete?

personally, i would give the slight edge to lebron. undoubtedly, both are incredible physical specimens (when michael was in his physical prime), but lebron just has more mass and incredible power and that amplifies his speed which is necessary for the game. jordan still had that vertical leap and hangtime which he displayed early in his career during the dunking contests. jordan still is the better player. unmatched knowledge, fiercely competitive, had the killer instinct, and deferred to no one. that made him the genius he was, especially when the game was on the line. his ability to rise to the occasion was eerie and probably the only other player who had a gift for converting shots consistently when the stakes were high was reggie miller. man, i miss the good old days of basketball.

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-20-2013 07:41 AM

I think I'll take MJ. Simply because he had better skills and an ultimate competitor.

It's hard to compare their athleticism, because they were different athletes. LeBron is a mack truck, Jordan was more nimble and he'd jab-step and spin you to death.

Alchemy-Z 02-20-2013 07:56 AM

No man will ever be more feared than Jordan with 5 sec on the clock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9QPMy__xKQ

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-20-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alchemy-Z (Post 7226378)
No man will ever be more feared than Jordan with 5 sec on the clock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9QPMy__xKQ

That brings up another point, LeBron is not clutch.

mikeler 02-20-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7226443)
That brings up another point, LeBron is not clutch.

Jordan was just unreal when the game was on the line. It was shocking the few times he did not come through because you just expected him to make the play when needed.

volleygirl 02-20-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7226489)
Jordan was just unreal when the game was on the line. It was shocking the few times he did not come through because you just expected him to make the play when needed.

Thats what seperates him as the BEST ever. I used to laugh when people tried to argue that Alex Rodriguez was the best player in baseball when he was easily the least clutch player in the sport. The guy is amost known as much for his choking as he is for his cheating with PEDs so he was a joke to be mentioned that way. MJ not only dominated in the regular season, he dominated in the playoffs and when the game was on the line.

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-20-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7226489)

And that's why I STILL want Kobe on my team over LeBron. Because if the team can't get it done in 3 quarters, Kobe will say: "F*** it, give me the ball, I'll get it done in the 4th."

Well, Kobe will say "give me the ball" any time of the game actually.

volleygirl 02-20-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7226569)
And that's why I STILL want Kobe on my team over LeBron. Because if the team can't get it done in 3 quarters, Kobe will say: "F*** it, give me the ball, I'll get it done in the 4th."

Well, Kobe will say "give me the ball" any time of the game actually.

You have to admit that if the lakers had Lebron instead of Kobe right now, its impossible to think they would de on the outside of making the playoffs like they are now.

amx13 02-20-2013 09:53 AM

Better athlete? Close call, maybe Lebron has an edge...better player? not even in the same league, Jordan by a mile

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-20-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volleygirl (Post 7226596)
You have to admit that if the lakers had Lebron instead of Kobe right now, its impossible to think they would de on the outside of making the playoffs like they are now.

Yeah but Lakers' problem isn't because they have Kobe instead of LeBron, it's because they don't stop people and play matador defense instead.

Kobe can only stop one player, same goes for World Peace. Everyone else is a blowby and a layup drill with NO help.

volleygirl 02-20-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7226611)
Yeah but Lakers' problem isn't because they have Kobe instead of LeBron, it's because they don't stop people and play matador defense instead.

Kobe can only stop one player, same goes for World Peace. Everyone else is a blowby and a layup drill with NO help.

I agree their D stinks but I dont think the team would be in the dump if they had Lebron instead of Kobe.

mikeler 02-20-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volleygirl (Post 7226540)
Thats what seperates him as the BEST ever. I used to laugh when people tried to argue that Alex Rodriguez was the best player in baseball when he was easily the least clutch player in the sport. The guy is amost known as much for his choking as he is for his cheating with PEDs so he was a joke to be mentioned that way. MJ not only dominated in the regular season, he dominated in the playoffs and when the game was on the line.

Hey I just remembered that you sent me an e-mail last week. Sorry I forgot to respond. That thread got deleted right after I posted in it.

volleygirl 02-20-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7226629)
Hey I just remembered that you sent me an e-mail last week. Sorry I forgot to respond. That thread got deleted right after I posted in it.

No problem. I wasnt expecting you to respond, was just sending it because it was such a crazy comment

Talker 02-20-2013 10:29 AM

Jordan by quite a bit.
Magic Johnson says the same thing.

There wasn't one of the six world championship finals that Chicago won where Jordan wasn't the MVP.

Disgruntled Worker 02-20-2013 11:50 AM

I never watched Jordan play since it was before my time. But LeBron James is the most physically gifted athlete I've ever seen. If we're talking just strength and speed, I'll take 6' 9" 270lbs over 6' 6'' 220lbs any day. Mind you, their speed is nearly identical.

volleygirl 02-20-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disgruntled Worker (Post 7226849)
I never watched Jordan play since it was before my time. But LeBron James is the most physically gifted athlete I've ever seen. If we're talking just strength and speed, I'll take 6' 9" 270lbs over 6' 6'' 220lbs any day. Mind you, their speed is nearly identical.

Theres nothing like getting an opinion on 'Lebron James or Michael Jordan' from someone who never ever saw Jordan play.

Power Player 02-20-2013 12:19 PM

Its funny how fast people forget LBJ quitting on Cleveland in his last playoff series there.

Would Jordan do that? No.

Jordan, and its not even close.

volleygirl 02-20-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7226881)
Its funny how fast people forget LBJ quitting on Cleveland in his last playoff series there.

Would Jordan do that? No.

Jordan, and its not even close.

I agree PP. No one should be compared to MJ. The better comparisons would be between Kobe and Lebron, not Kobe and Jordan or Lebron and Jordan.

acura9927 02-20-2013 12:36 PM

There will never be another Jordan or Federer or Lemieux or Gretzky.

ollinger 02-20-2013 01:01 PM

^^ Yes, of course, history came to a stop when these guys were born.