Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   TW Questions/Comments (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Chris: Volkl Organix 8 vs 99s (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455361)

Boricua 02-20-2013 11:10 AM

Chris: Volkl Organix 8 vs 99s

Hi Chris. I know you are a fan of Volkl rackets. Unlike you, I like thicker frames that can give more access to power and spin. I hit with modern, topspin, windshield strokes. Maybe three years ago I played with an Organix 8 (300) and found it somewhat powerful but sold it instead of trying different strings.
I have a bothersome pain in the tip of my elbow and may give this Organix 8 a second chance. I am looking into 4g, Black5Edge and Cyclone to try out if I get a Organix 8. Are these nice choices to tame the power of the Organix 8?

Also, this Organix 8 is as stiff as the new Wilson 99s and the Head IG Extreme Pro 2.0. But, is the Organix 8 much more arm friendly than the 99 S and the Extreme Pro?

I would like to use the 99s because of its spin production but I am a bit concerned about my elbow and not hitting freely especially when hitting the topspin backhand as that is the stroke that tends to affect the tip of my elbow. I suspect the Organix 8 is a nice blend of plushness and sufficient spin. What do you think?

Finally, how does the Organix 8 compare to the new Organix 7? The Organix 8 is out of stock and maybe the Organix 7 is similar. I have an idea, maybe a wrong idea, that the 104 head and extra length of the Organix 7 is a bit troublesome but you seemed to like it in your video review. I know that the Organix 8 is on Sale but I just want the better racket. On a side note, I found intriguing that the Organix 7 has a 73 stiffness index rating and you find it plush. How can this be?[

B]I like to hit with heavy, aggresive topspin, am a baseliner and have a one handed backhand (slice and topspin).[/b]

TW Staff 02-20-2013 03:52 PM

The 8 does pack a lot of power. I prefer the Becker Pro, V1 Classic and the new Org 7 as I find better control and feel. I had zero comfort issues with the 7 and I strung it up with some very stiff polys while testing. I would pick it leaps and bounds over the 8. With the Sensor handle systems, Volkls tend to always feel very comfortable.

I think the 8 is plenty comfortable, too, but just packs a tad too much punch for me. The 99s is also comfortable as the open string pattern offers a very soft and forgiving feeling stringbed.

Chris, TW

Timbo's hopeless slice 02-20-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7227169)
The 8 does pack a lot of power. I prefer the Becker Pro, V1 Classic and the new Org 7 as I find better control and feel. I had zero comfort issues with the 7 and I strung it up with some very stiff polys while testing. I would pick it leaps and bounds over the 8. With the Sensor handle systems, Volkls tend to always feel very comfortable.

I think the 8 is plenty comfortable, too, but just packs a tad too much punch for me. The 99s is also comfortable as the open string pattern offers a very soft and forgiving feeling stringbed.

Chris, TW

+1 on the 7s..

I have turned to the dark side, and I like it!!!!!

Timbo's hopeless slice 02-20-2013 08:05 PM

Hey, Chris, is that Savage Lime in the review? or??

Boricua 02-21-2013 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo's hopeless slice (Post 7227487)

The green strings looks cool but I prefer the Volkl Cyclone's mean, black look that complements the racket's black paint job.

Boricua 02-21-2013 04:43 AM

Quote:

Chris, TW

I also sensed alot of power in the 8 so its good to hear that the 7 is more controlled.
I would suspect that the 7 is a bit more arm friendly and has more control than the 99s, is that so?
Also, what model of Asics shoes is that you are wearing in the review? I can not find them in the Asics shop section.

TW Staff 02-21-2013 07:23 AM

Boricua,

After talking to Chris, the Org 7 has more comfort and control compared to the 99s. The shoes he is wearing are on the site, they are the Asics Gel Game 4 in Black/Orange.

Here is the link:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Asic...S-AMGGBKO.html

Brittany, TW

TW Staff 02-21-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo's hopeless slice (Post 7227487)

Chris is using Prince Beast XP.

Brittany, TW

Boricua 02-21-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7228176)
Boricua,

After talking to Chris, the Org 7 has more comfort and control compared to the 99s. The shoes he is wearing are on the site, they are the Asics Gel Game 4 in Black/Orange.

Here is the link:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Asic...S-AMGGBKO.html

Brittany, TW

Yes I thought it was the Gel game. How do these differ from the Resolutions? Are they also comfortable?

TW Staff 02-21-2013 12:57 PM

The are softer and more comfortable. I like the way they mold to my foot shape and they are very supportive although do not have the stability of a stiffer chassis like in the Gel Res series. They are very light and fast feeling on court and I like playing in them a lot.

Chris, TW

Veninga 02-21-2013 11:37 PM

another question for Chris

Quote:

Chris, TW

Chris, youe say the x7 has a better control and feel than the x8. You would expect othwerwise, because of the headsize and stiffness.

You also say the x8 is too powerfull. Is it even more powerfull than the x7?

Boricua 02-22-2013 04:22 AM

I like to play singles and eventhough I am very inclined to buy the Organix 7 I am somewhat concerned about the 104 head size. I usually play with 100 head size rackets though recently I've used an older 102 head size Fischer racket with no problem.

So, is this racket maneuvarable and fast through the air (not clunky)?

I need a fast swing both for my whippy forehand and my one handed backhand. I am mostly a baseline grinder who likes to put alot of topspin, slices and angles on my shots.. Can this racket fit my needs you think?

(I am attracted to this racket because of its arm friendliness, power, its high stiffness, thick beam, Volkl quality and feel and why not, the cosmetics are nice and modern.):)

Timbo's hopeless slice 02-22-2013 11:30 AM

Boricua, you sound like a man who has tried to play a 1HBH with a Head Extreme.. Now, THAT'S clunky!

I have no issues whipping the X-7 around, never notice the head size until I contact the ball and there is an enormous comfy sweetspot to hit with..

Boricua 02-22-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo's hopeless slice (Post 7230731)
Boricua, you sound like a man who has tried to play a 1HBH with a Head Extreme.. Now, THAT'S clunky!

I have no issues whipping the X-7 around, never notice the head size until I contact the ball and there is an enormous comfy sweetspot to hit with..

I have never played with the current Extreme Pro. I used a Extreme MP some years ago. But. I recently played with a Vcore Tour 97 330 and it was heavy. So. I will take your word on it on the Extreme. I am very happy about your remarks related to the Organix 7. I wish the racket is good for me also as I been searching for a racket that pleases me for 5 years at least.

TW Staff 02-25-2013 03:30 PM

I can find a lot of power from both, but I can control that power better with the 7. I find it easier to over hit with the 8. As for the 7, I love returning with it and can take a huge crack at the ball without losing control. The 7 is a very fast feeling racquet. It comes around quickly and is easy to accelerate for pace and spin.

Chris, TW

Timbo's hopeless slice 02-27-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 7236174)
I can find a lot of power from both, but I can control that power better with the 7. I find it easier to over hit with the 8. As for the 7, I love returning with it and can take a huge crack at the ball without losing control. The 7 is a very fast feeling racquet. It comes around quickly and is easy to accelerate for pace and spin.

Chris, TW

this is the thing, it just makes the game so easy!

no frantic flailing at the ball trying to get depth, just swing smooth, there it goes..

want to hit a winner, just do it!

smitten.

Juan 07-13-2013 03:14 AM

Chris, looking at the official Volkl specs it seems that the X7 310 should be CLEARLY less maneuvrable that the X8 300.

I mean, X7 310 specs are: 310 gr, 32.5 balance, and extra length, bigger hed size and thicker beam compared with the X8.
X8 main specs are: 300 gr and 32 balance.

Is really possible that X7 310 is more maneuvrable than X8 300? If this is the case and X7 is easy to swing, in this case X7 would be a fantastic option. My main doubt is about maneuvrability.

spinovic 07-13-2013 06:35 AM

I never understood the idea that the 1HBH is a racquet-sensitive shot. If a racquet is "clunky", which to me means less maneuverable, then it is clunky off both wings.

Unless it isn't possible for you, my suggestion would be to spend the $18 and demo the Organix 7 and 8, 99S and the Extreme Pro 2.0 and see which one you like the best. It would be worth the time and money to me to have the peace of mind of knowing I picked the best racquet of the bunch.

pmichaelmd 07-13-2013 11:40 AM

I play with a PDR, but have been using the Organix 7 310 as a demo and like it. I don't notice the head size difference when playing and would say that the sweet spot is larger than that of my PDR. It took me about 15 minutes to figure out how to lessen my swing velocity and keep my forehand in. The power is effortless and the extra length has allowed me to swing more easily with the same result as a harder swing provides with my PDR. The only aspect in which it feels a little more clunky is in the serve for me. I think I could work that out eventually, though.

Despite the stiffness rating, I would say that it subjectively feels easier on my arm than the PDR, although I haven't really had any arm issues to date. I hit a SW forehand with lots of spin and pace, a 2HBH that is a little flatter, and rely heavily on a big, booming flat first serve.

The 295g x7 didn't seem as stable as the 310g version. Also hit the Dunlop F5.0 and found it to be too "tinny." Surprisingly, the Wilson Blade 104 felt smooth and had good feel as well. Of all of the demos, though, I like the x7 310g the best. If I decide to switch away from the PDR, I will likely buy a few of them

PMMD