Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Federer charity video looks a bit of a PR "fake" (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455384)

Paullaconte1 02-20-2013 06:31 PM

Federer charity video looks a bit of a PR "fake"

I know that Federer fans won't like this, but to be honest I have seen the video of Federer going to a school in South Africa and read some articles.

To tell the truth it really smelled as a big fake PR operation. You know the typical "I am the star and I play with kids" stuff.

http://www.tennistonic.com/tennis-news?nid=1867

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...reschools.aspx

I mean, I know that these guys do charity also for PR and I do not have doubts that Roger is "a good guy".. but this looked really a bit too much.

Ready to be stoned by Federer's fans :)

tennisaddict 02-20-2013 06:38 PM

What are you smoking ?

The pictures and the videos are so genuine, moving and touching.

norbac 02-20-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisaddict (Post 7227315)
What are you smoking ?

The pictures and the videos are so genuine, moving and touching.

Yeah, especially the part where he reads them a story in a language the kids don't understand.

Emet74 02-20-2013 06:44 PM

What do you mean by "fake"?

Roger was shot in front of a empty screen in Dubai pretending to interact w/ kids and then digitally inserted into footage of the school???

His Foundation does support pre-school programs all over Africa and members of the Foundation Board and staff (including Fed's parents) visit every so often the projects that are supported so see how things are going on the ground. Fed doesn't have time to do this much himself, but he went a few years ago to a school in Ethiopia and now to one in South Africa.

That's about it. You can say it's not in good taste to videotape the visit or publicize it on youtube though the counter-arguement would be it's good publicity for his Foundation and its local partners and can help attract more donors.

But the word "fake" hasn't much meaning here.

Emet74 02-20-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norbac (Post 7227318)
Yeah, especially the part where he reads them a story in a language the kids don't understand.

LOL well the teacher is translating. :)

Must say I was thinking they should start teaching these kids some English though. Wonder if they do.

norbac 02-20-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emet74 (Post 7227330)

Must say I was thinking they should start teaching these kids some English though. Wonder if they do.

It's nice what he's doing and everything, just found that part a bit ridiculous. If any part is "fake PR" or whatever in the video it's that one.

BrooklynNY 02-20-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

hahaha

:twisted::grin:

beast of mallorca 02-20-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paullaconte1 (Post 7227301)
I know that Federer fans won't like this, but to be honest I have seen the video of Federer going to a school in South Africa and read some articles.

To tell the truth it really smelled as a big fake PR operation. You know the typical "I am the star and I play with kids" stuff.

http://www.tennistonic.com/tennis-news?nid=1867

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...reschools.aspx

I mean, I know that these guys do charity also for PR and I do not have doubts that Roger is "a good guy".. but this looked really a bit too much.

Ready to be stoned by Federer's fans :)

He's always been a phony, what are you talking about ? :twisted:

Sid_Vicious 02-20-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norbac (Post 7227335)
It's nice what he's doing and everything, just found that part a bit ridiculous. If any part is "fake PR" or whatever in the video it's that one.

It's South Africa. Maybe the kids are more familiar with English then in most African countries

ctoth666 02-20-2013 07:31 PM

I'm not going to get into an argument over this, but why would you go through the trouble of organizing a fake PR operation to Africa? I would probably never go to Africa if I had a choice...

I think it's genuine, but he's still full of himself a bit.

tennisaddict 02-20-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

He reads them a story about playing cricket, which is a big sport in South Aftica that kids are attracted to. What is so hard for you to understand there ?

whoopinstick 02-20-2013 07:43 PM

hahaha it is a good thing fed has two little kids of his own otherwise he would have been really awkward in those situations.

SStrikerR 02-20-2013 08:31 PM

Regardless of if he cares or not, which I believe he does...his foundation still donates to these projects and helps out, and that's all that matters.

checkmilu 02-20-2013 08:57 PM

he does not need PR, he is already a super star. helping kids is what he has been encouraged to do by his mum and he likes it too.

ViscaB 02-20-2013 09:04 PM

Federer does a lot of great work and he seems genuine in his intentions. Still video's like this are a bit awkward. He does not need that.

norbac 02-20-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisaddict (Post 7227388)
He reads them a story about playing cricket, which is a big sport in South Aftica that kids are attracted to. What is so hard for you to understand there ?

The language in which he reads it. Judging by the way they show the kids communicating with each other and how there is a translator for everything Roger reads, the kids don't understand a thing that Roger is saying. Why not just have someone read it to them in a language they all understand?

norbac 02-20-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid_Vicious (Post 7227373)
It's South Africa. Maybe the kids are more familiar with English then in most African countries

Listen to the kids talking to each other a few minutes before Roger reads the story. Also take note of how there is a woman translating everything Roger says.

westside 02-20-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norbac (Post 7227497)
The language in which he reads it. Judging by the way they show the kids communicating with each other and how there is a translator for everything Roger reads, the kids don't understand a thing that Roger is saying. Why not just have someone read it to them in a language they all understand?

If I were a kid, I would be happy enough that Roger is spending time with me. Couldn't care less if he was reading a story in another language. My god.

norbac 02-20-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westside (Post 7227503)
If I were a kid, I would be happy enough that Roger is spending time with me. Couldn't care less if he was reading a story in another language. My god.

Roger didn't really come off as that much of a rock star in the eyes of those kids from what the video shows....... For a number of different reasons maybe they don't know much about Roger? Remember, Roger in the video said the school is based out of the poorest part of SA. Plus they do look pretty young.....

Not everyone in the world adulates Roger Federer by the way.

B A Y 02-20-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emet74 (Post 7227330)

Of course they are teaching the kids english there..