Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Whats wrong with Isner? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455401)

tennisbuck 02-20-2013 09:11 PM

Whats wrong with Isner?
 
I know that his game is limited and he is never gonna be a top guy with his ground strokes but come on this is terrible he can hardly win a match this year i would think he could beat most guys with his serve alone.

Goosehead 02-20-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisbuck (Post 7227548)
I know that his game is limited and he is never gonna be a top guy with his ground strokes but come on this is terrible he can hardly win a match this year i would think he could beat most guys with his serve alone.

whats wrong with isner ?..what ?..apart from almost everything you mean ??

romeo8880 02-20-2013 09:32 PM

I'm not sure I haven't really been watching him. His ground strokes were looking pretty good for awhile though and he was improving alot. Maybe it's a confidence thing.

tennisbuck 02-20-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romeo8880 (Post 7227572)
I'm not sure I haven't really been watching him. His ground strokes were looking pretty good for awhile though and he was improving alot. Maybe it's a confidence thing.

Yeah i think its a confidence thing maybe; it really hurt him losing all those tough 5 setter last year i think

70後 02-20-2013 10:01 PM

unbalanced strengths and weaknesses. People figured out how to play him and this is the outcome.

spinovic 02-21-2013 05:40 AM

^That could be it. Although at this point, I think he's struggling with his confidence. Perhaps his tough loss to Kohlschreiber in the US Open R32 set him back...he's only 5-9 since that point, losing his opening match in 3 tournaments. Based on how he'd played last spring and summer, I know his expectations for New York were much higher that a third round exit.

mightyrick 02-21-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70後 (Post 7227599)
unbalanced strengths and weaknesses. People figured out how to play him and this is the outcome.

Agree 100% with this. Many players have figured out Isner... and Isner has not adjusted.

There are many matches where I've seen Isner's opponents just turn into lowball slice pushers -- and make Isner beat himself with unforced errors. Others run Isner like crazy -- diagonally across the court. Isner has trouble in these situations also.

So yeah, they figured out his big weakness -- footwork. But I can't really blame the guy. It has to be really tough to carry around that big frame and try to have great footwork in a grueling 3 hour match.

tennisaddict 02-21-2013 08:57 AM

Isner has reached the state of self actualization - he has achieved whatever he is capable of.

gavna 02-21-2013 08:59 AM

Huge serve and solid Forehand - stiff and iffy footwork and fitness

But you have guys who have been top 20 for a good long time with similar or even less. Also when has there ever been a GREAT player that tall - just don't see being over 6'6" an advantage - if anything the opp outside of dubs.

Onehandedbackhand 02-21-2013 10:34 AM

Janowicz and Del Potro have great footwork for their size. No excuse.

Tcbtennis 02-24-2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onehandedbackhand (Post 7228560)
Janowicz and Del Potro have great footwork for their size. No excuse.

Exactly. When I watch those guys move across a court I can see their natural athleticism. When I watch John Isner all I see is a big lumbering giant with a big serve. There is nothing athletic about him. If he were a true athlete, he would be playing basketball here in the U.S. But because he realized that his long term potential in basketball was non-existent he pursued tennis. He got a lot further (Top 10) with his limited abilities than I thought he would.

Relinquis 02-24-2013 04:08 AM

his knees and ankles are already giving way... he will never amount to more than a massive serve and even that has been figured out by most top players...

he should just keep at it so that the USA still has a guy in the top 30 for the time being and he can get paid... not a bad way to make a living, but no need to kill himself out there.

serve big, volley, throw in the occasional slice before you follow with a big forehand, etc...

Dedans Penthouse 02-24-2013 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcbtennis (Post 7233136)
Exactly. When I watch those guys move across a court I can see their natural athleticism. When I watch John Isner all I see is a big lumbering giant with a big serve. There is nothing athletic about him. If he were a true athlete, he would be playing basketball here in the U.S. But because he realized that his long term potential in basketball was non-existent he pursued tennis. He got a lot further (Top 10) with his limited abilities than I thought he would.

You pretty much nailed it on the head Tcbtennis. He simply is what he is, a guy with limited mobility and "skills" whose size (and serve) only provided him with whatever advantages he enjoyed only up to a point.

gavna 02-24-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onehandedbackhand (Post 7228560)
Janowicz and Del Potro have great footwork for their size. No excuse.

I agree they are - But Delpo is just about 6' 6" and Janowicz is 6' 8" - Isner almost 6' 10" and 15kgs heavier than Janowicz that's a huge difference in height and weight at this level.

Like I said list me a GREAT tennis player over 6' 6"???? Not any those guys.....

ubel 02-24-2013 03:28 PM

The guy is 16 in the world, which I'd say is pretty great. Great serve, maybe a little bit temperamental (an ongoing battle for EVERYONE at that level), but he's a solid player. I'm thinking he's just having a rough patch lately, something everyone eventually has. I have confidence in him picking things up once the fast(er) court season starts.

As far as what is separating him from the top 8.. Last I watched, and correct me if I'm wrong as of late, but he always seemed like a guy who hit his groundstrokes like someone who sings from behind a guitar. The instruments should complement one another, but also be able to stand alone. Whether that's a confidence thing or a subconscious mental decision, iunno.

Onehandedbackhand 02-24-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7233576)
I agree they are - But Delpo is just about 6' 6" and Janowicz is 6' 8" - Isner almost 6' 10" and 15kgs heavier than Janowicz that's a huge difference in height and weight at this level.

Like I said list me a GREAT tennis player over 6' 6"???? Not any those guys.....

Janowicz is pretty damned good, and very well could be great one day if he learns to cover the whole court.

And this is a changing time. We'll start seeing 7 foot tennis players eventually...and good ones too also.

wintintu 02-24-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goosehead (Post 7227562)
whats wrong with isner ?..what ?..apart from almost everything you mean ??

Hehe! This! I laughed but you are spot on my friend

fps 02-24-2013 10:38 PM

He's 27 coming up 28 he's actually on the downward slide now


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse