Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Violence used on the court! Can't believe it! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455404)

martini1 02-20-2013 11:00 PM

Violence used on the court! Can't believe it!
 
This is something I never heard of let alone experience on the court! Unreal!

It's a group class for adults, with all kinds of people at the 3.0-3.5 level I suppose. I arrived early along with a couple other students, we were still waiting for the coach and the others to arrive. A teen (the only teen in the class, the rest are in their late 20's to about 40's) saw one of us started to warm up with some serves so he tried to follow. I stood on the other end of the court pretending to return. And the story begins...

At that time a few more people arrived, along with the coach. There is bench by the side of the court and people are laying their bags down to get their gears out. Naturally if you are putting your bag down your back would be facing the court. The teen misfired a serve and hit a guy probably on his butt. It was a ball with some force but no way faster than 50mph had it landed on court. We all knew it was a mistake and somebody made a "UUHHH" "AAAAH" sound. This guy suddenly charge at me with a water bottle in his hand. I must say he acted normal in the past classes and we had no problem getting along. At first I thought he would come to me make a joke or something.

He charged at me and threw the water bottle right at me at full force. I had little time to react and could only turn my body a little. The water bottle hit me on the side of my body. Just to say how hard he threw the bottle, the cap broke and water was spilled. Yes, it did hurt. Like somebody punched me.

He then walked away and acted like nothing happened. I was furious and started to drop the f bomb on him. He then said he thought I was the one to hit with a ball on purpose. He gave a half hearted apology after he found out he made a mistake, but kept saying I needed to chill out and it was "only a water bottle". I immediately said I could call the cops on this. The coach, who I have known for a few years asked me not to escalate the situation and tried to end the matter.

And he did let him stayed in the class. After a 10 min warm up the coach gathered the class again and ask the kid to apologize to the crazy guy, and the crazy guy in return gave me a more serious apology.

Anyway, I thought the coach should really kick him out of the class right at that moment (he did the following week after I called him). Yes, I know it would make the coach look bad if cops showed up and made a big scene where everybody else would watch it like a TV show. I did not call the cops only because the coach keep begging me not to, but in hindsight I think it is better to just let the police handle the situation, and more importantly have him on the record. You never know these days. He could show up in the next class with a knife or something. If we have a arrest record we can easily call the cops again as soon as we see his face, just to scare him not to show up ever. I swear to god if he ever tries to charge at me again I would just swing my racket to defend myself.

Hopefully he is out for good and doesn't try anything stupid like trying to come back to class or register for other future classes I am in.

Hi I'm Ray 02-20-2013 11:39 PM

Good job on not letting yourself get out of control and into a fight. I used to be way too confrontational and have gotten into too many fights in the past. In the past few years I have in been at the brink getting into a fight quite a few times, but I am glad it did not escalate. I can see no good result to it and potential arrest or lawsuits. Although it seems like a sissy move, it sounds like a good idea to just call the cops. Why? Because guys like this are obviously out of control and its a habit, probably because he has gotten away with it in the past (I've been down that road). Maybe some consequence will force him to take a look at himself and give him a chance change (yes, been there too, and glad for it). Otherwise, this weirdo is going to end hurting someone (imagine someone you know), and probably an innocent person, like you experienced.

The coach just seemed like he was looking out for the best interest of his income and not anyone else. Who would let someone like that around a group of ppl?

Buffster 02-21-2013 12:41 AM

Even thinking about calling the cops is ridiculous in my opinion. I wouldn't have pushed my coach to kick him out of the group either. Just handle stuff like this on the spot. Hit him in the face or hit a ball between his eyes and then shake hands like men and move on. What did you end up gaining with him being kicked out?

The Meat 02-21-2013 01:40 AM

Wow, a guy runs at you and throws a bottle of water for only hitting him with a 50mph serve(even though it was the kid's fault)......I think I've heard it all now.

Also, it was probably for the best not to get the authorities involved. Yes the guy was probably one of those "special" individuals we all dealt with on a tennis court, but you have to let it go and be cool with it.

Mad respect.

pkshooter 02-21-2013 02:39 AM

I think you handled it like a boss. Assertive, not passive or aggressive in handling the situation.

Overdrive 02-21-2013 04:35 AM

Yay, you handled it better than that TMR guy.. :)

No wonder what would happen if he was in your shoes... :rolleyes:

max 02-21-2013 05:32 AM

You both didn't handle it well. Of course mistakes will be made playing tennis. But ramping it up by your threats didn't help much.

NickC 02-21-2013 06:45 AM

Go for a ball shot next time you are playing him. Or, alternatively, whack him in the kneecaps next time you see him with your racquet. And hit him hard. Or, hit him in the back of the knee with as much force as possible next time you see him walking.

Violent? Yes. But some folks who live in their own little world only react and learn when their own medicine isn't thrown, but launched with excessive force back at them.

ollinger 02-21-2013 06:56 AM

^^ interesting to see what the universities are turning out these days.

martini1 02-21-2013 07:11 AM

First thing - if it escalated to a fight nobody could predict what would happen. I do have a racket in my hand and if I did smack his face open, the cops would should up anyway. But I would have to a really good lawyer to get out of this. And for what?

Had he charged at the kid instead of me. Who knows what would happen? The kid might fight back and got beat up by this guy in a fist fight or something.

What could be the worst is this guy is one of those "normal, friendly guy" but could snap in any given moment and comes back for a payback with an weapon like a big knife or something worse. You never know who this person really is. A call to the police to not far fetched imo. If it wasn't for the coach I would have called.

For a non contact sport, I strongly believe any kind of violence is not acceptable. Plus when you step into the court you are expected to get hit by a ball BY MISTAKE at some point.

jaggy 02-21-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickC (Post 7228085)
Go for a ball shot next time you are playing him. Or, alternatively, whack him in the kneecaps next time you see him with your racquet. And hit him hard. Or, hit him in the back of the knee with as much force as possible next time you see him walking.

Violent? Yes. But some folks who live in their own little world only react and learn when their own medicine isn't thrown, but launched with excessive force back at them.

Living in america I would say you have 2 choices. Contact your lawyer and give him a darn good suing or alternatively pack an assault weapon in your bag like most of us do.

dParis 02-21-2013 07:20 AM

The proper and respectable course of action would have been for you to challange this man to a duel. I understand the reasoning for your restrained approach, but your honor has been compromised.

martini1 02-21-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dParis (Post 7228165)
The proper and respectable course of action would have been for you to challange this man to a duel. I understand the reasoning for your restrained approach, but your honor has been compromised.

Funny you say that. I did fencing in college. Give me a 36" long blade and the rest is history. Just kidding. :)

Hi I'm Ray 02-21-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martini1 (Post 7228141)
First thing - if it escalated to a fight nobody could predict what would happen. I do have a racket in my hand and if I did smack his face open, the cops would should up anyway. But I would have to a really good lawyer to get out of this. And for what?

Had he charged at the kid instead of me. Who knows what would happen? The kid might fight back and got beat up by this guy in a fist fight or something.

What could be the worst is this guy is one of those "normal, friendly guy" but could snap in any given moment and comes back for a payback with an weapon like a big knife or something worse. You never know who this person really is. A call to the police to not far fetched imo. If it wasn't for the coach I would have called.

For a non contact sport, I strongly believe any kind of violence is not acceptable. Plus when you step into the court you are expected to get hit by a ball BY MISTAKE at some point.

Well I think the OP handled well. I've been in fights for lesser things. The water bottle freak needs to go - if the ball hit him higher on his back or on the back of his head he probably would've just started swinging at ppl.

Power Player 02-21-2013 08:20 AM

You did the right thing. I would have probably not...lol.

sureshs 02-21-2013 08:29 AM

Guy is also probably violent to his wife and kids. You should have called the cops.

NTexas 02-21-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martini1 (Post 7228174)
Funny you say that. I did fencing in college. Give me a 36" long blade and the rest is history. Just kidding. :)

Not with a fake sword, with some pistols. like in the wild west.

max 02-21-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7228110)
^^ interesting to see what the universities are turning out these days.

Yeah. The thing to do would have been to understand that the guy was pretty confused and upset, rather than jack up the problem. In that situation, I would have just taken the water bottle shot, and forgiven him. People make mistakes. A temperate response would have been the way to go.

sureshs 02-21-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7228110)
^^ interesting to see what the universities are turning out these days.

That depends on what they were turning out before

mikeler 02-21-2013 09:13 AM

Hmm, his weapon was a water bottle which he lost after throwing it. At that point, he is defenseless against my Prince Exo Tour in hand assuming I can catch him...and I probably can...


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse