Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   high percentage serve on the deuce side. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455447)

dlam 02-21-2013 09:43 AM

high percentage serve on the deuce side.

Facing deuce point.
2nd serve on the deuce side.
1st serve is wild.
What is your high percentage serve to get into play so you dont df and get behind ?

Murrayalmagrofan 02-21-2013 09:51 AM

Kick serve aimed at the middle of the box (i.e. body serve).

There's good margin for error (middle of the box), and my opponent will have to side-step to either their left or right before they can swing at it. If you kick the ball up above their shoulder, you'll typically get a weak return.

Cindysphinx 02-21-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlam (Post 7228441)
Facing deuce point.
1st serve is wild.
What is your high percentage serve to get into play so you dont df and get behind ?

Slice to the T.

Don't want to slice wide to the FH, and don't want to risk the slice slicing too much and missing wide. . . .

Who am I kidding? I would DF.

North 02-21-2013 09:55 AM

Body serve or down the T.

OrangePower 02-21-2013 10:00 AM

* MASSIVE KICKER TO THE BH *

:shock::shock::shock:

dizzlmcwizzl 02-21-2013 10:02 AM

If it is really crunch time and I am super worried that I have to get it in ... I will kick it towards their left hip. Enough margin to make sure I get it in ... a difficult enough serve that they will have a tough time attacking it.

However, if I am in a groove serving, feel really comfortable and it is not late (ie set / match point) then sometimes I will hit a hard serve with an eastern forehand grip. I find I have lots of control over this ... it goes at about 90% of the pace on my hard serve and it has just enough diagonal spin to cause the returner fits.

corbind 02-21-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murrayalmagrofan (Post 7228456)
Kick serve aimed at the middle of the box (i.e. body serve).

There's good margin for error (middle of the box), and my opponent will have to side-step to either their left or right before they can swing at it. If you kick the ball up above their shoulder, you'll typically get a weak return.

Ditto -- and it works as long as the returner doesn't run around it and crush a FH.

Adles 02-22-2013 03:57 AM

I try to do whatever I did on the first serve, but without screwing it up this time.

Clive Walker 02-22-2013 03:36 PM

Sliced ball anywhere that forces a bh return if I have no idea who I am playing- to their weakest shot if I know their game.

LeeD 02-22-2013 03:53 PM

Depends where I want to position my opponent after he returns serve. I can serve wide twist to the left (puts him 3' into wide of the doubles alley), or wide lefty slice to the right (puts him a couple of feet into his own ad court), or into the middle anyhow.

SwankPeRFection 02-23-2013 09:41 PM

Really depends on the opponent. If they're killing returns off one side, then obviously don't go down that side... especially if you have a weak second serve, that's just asking for a put-away return. Generally a kick serve to the backhand side is what I go with, maybe a body serve, but nobody expects the ACE on the second serve, especially if I just missed the first one. If I'm feeling good, I'll hit that second one just like the first if I've just missed it. Works about 65% of the time.

OHBH 02-23-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Facing deuce point.
1st serve is wild.

Wrong mentality right there. Serve the way that you always serve no matter the situation. How many times do you double fault in a match? Hopefully not much to begin with, odds are you won't double fault unless you psych yourself out. You are more likely to double fault when you are trying to push it in the middle of the box because you lose racket head acceleration and spin.

goran_ace 02-24-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Facing deuce point.
1st serve is wild.

That's your problem. If your first serve is all over the place and your second serve is suspect you have to get more first serves in play. Use your second serve as your first serve if you have to and put it to the weaker side.

LuckyR 02-26-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBH (Post 7232954)
Wrong mentality right there. Serve the way that you always serve no matter the situation. How many times do you double fault in a match? Hopefully not much to begin with, odds are you won't double fault unless you psych yourself out. You are more likely to double fault when you are trying to push it in the middle of the box because you lose racket head acceleration and spin.

Best post in the thread. I would also add that your serve is only as good as your second serve. Start working there. You want your second serve to go in north of 90% of the time, so < 5% DFs. You want your first serve to go in about 60-75% of the time, not "wild". If you can do that north of 100 mph, great, if it more like 85 mph, fine, whatever it takes.

LeeD 02-26-2013 02:52 PM

Ah, maybe that's been my problem all my tennis years.
I"ve been going for absolute fastest well placed first serves always, and my percentage usually lies south of 35%.
So my second serve just starts the point even, as I can lefty slice, top, twist, in all 3 quadrants, mostly 99% of the time.
And I can't groundstroke worth beans.

LuckyR 02-26-2013 03:11 PM

If I recall some of your previous posts correctly, you are not overly tall. Thus I am not suprised that a topspinny serve is so controlable that you can get north of 90% of them in to any spot you want in the service box. For a lot of folks that would be a great first serve. Your percentages will suffer more than most when you lose that spin action. Have you considered a well struck first serve with a kick motion, but with the majority of the racquet head speed going to pace, as a first serve? It won't be the "fastest" first serve you can hit but it will only be half a click down on pace and likely much higher in consistancy.

NLBwell 02-26-2013 09:27 PM

Either to the body or down the middle depending upon how well the opponent has been returning my serve up to that point.

goober 02-27-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Facing deuce point.
1st serve is wild.

These questions really can't be answered unless we know

1) What kind of serves are you capable of hitting

2) How reliable are each of these serves.

3) How has your opponent been returning your serves? Does he have a weak side?

floridatennisdude 02-27-2013 01:47 PM

I'm going to kick it wide and make them move to get a return. Open the court up for me and put them on the run on my next shot. I like the opponent to work hard to get an ad. And when they don't get it, it's mental for them to try to fight back after just getting run around.

dlam 02-28-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7228465)
Slice to the T.

Don't want to slice wide to the FH, and don't want to risk the slice slicing too much and missing wide. . . .

Who am I kidding? I would DF.

Thank you for your honest post Cindy
Everyone is blowing in the wind with their posts on this thread

I think moving more to the side rather than the hash mark will be able to slice the ball in with out missing wide