Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   HELP! Wilson Amplifeel 6.1 95 vs BLX, one year later (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455462)

DonDiego 02-21-2013 11:29 AM

HELP! Wilson Amplifeel 6.1 95 vs BLX, one year later

Ok six one lovers: it's been (almost) one year since the release of the new six one 95 from Wilson. So I figured enough people have used it to comment on how it differs from the 2010 BLX model.

I've been using the two frames for the past two months, and just can't decide which one I like most. Please help me figure out the pros and cons. Here's what I noticed about the new one (Amplifeel, 16x18):

-It has a bit narrower head, and slightly better control.
-The static and swingweight are the same, but feels different. It feels lighter than the BLX when you hold it in your hand, but not that much when playing.
-Wilson put less weight in the throat of this racquet. That explains the impression of lower swingweight, but it also makes for a less solid (stable) stick than the BLX. Especially at net on hard passing shots, and when returning heavy serves.
-It has a bit less spin potential than the BLX, but amazing control. That is by far it's best attribute.
-Power is pretty much the same with both racquets -- a lot.

Have you had the same experience? If you played with both, which one do you prefer?

jersey34tennis 02-21-2013 11:40 AM

the i prefer the new open pattern 6.1 to the previous blx one. i felt it far more maneuverable and didn't find any stability issues whatsoever. i found it to have power rivaling the k factor open pattern version and overall i'm a fan. the 18x20 version i didn't like as much . for some reason i preferred the previos blx version. it seemed a bit more crisp

Torres 02-21-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonDiego (Post 7228652)
I've been using the two frames for the past two months, and just can't decide which one I like most. Please help me figure out the pros and cons. Here's what I noticed about the new one (Amplifeel, 16x18):

-It has a bit narrower head, and slightly better control.
-The static and swingweight are the same, but feels different. It feels lighter than the BLX when you hold it in your hand, but not that much when playing.
-Wilson put less weight in the throat of this racquet. That explains the impression of lower swingweight, but it also makes for a less solid (stable) stick than the BLX. Especially at net on hard passing shots, and when returning heavy serves.
-It has a bit less spin potential than the BLX, but amazing control. That is by far it's best attribute.
-Power is pretty much the same with both racquets -- a lot.

I think you're getting a bit confused. The mold, head shape, drill patterns, specs, spin, control, power etc between the 2010 and the 2012 6.1 95s are exactly the same

What you're probably noticing are differences in factory specs, which Wilson are notorious for. I've owned probably eight or nine 2010/2012 6.1 95s, and there can be massive differences between the same 'model' of racquet. I've seen 7g weight differences between the same model, 3-4 point balance differences, and that's even before we even get into different distributions of mass.

That said, the 2010 and 2012 models do 'feel' different in terms of construction and feedback. The 2012 feels more 'direct' in terms of feedback, the 2010, more 'diffuse', though neither feel uncomfortable. As to which one you prefer, its just a matter of personal preference.

DonDiego 02-21-2013 12:22 PM

Thank Torres. But don't you feel any difference in terms of solidness or stability? I feel the BLX has an edge over the Amplifeel. I reached this conclusion after practicing A LOT my volleys recently, with a coach that was throwing me rockets at the net.

Torres 02-21-2013 12:25 PM

There are differences in solidity and stability but there can be differences between the two racquets of the same year, so I'd be reluctant to say that 2012 feels more solid than 2010 or vice versa.

DonDiego 02-21-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 7228749)
There are differences in solidity and stability but there can be differences between the two racquets of the same year, so I'd be reluctant to say that 2012 feels more solid than 2010 or vice versa.

Got it. So far I've used three different BLX sticks and they all felt solid. I've used two Amplifeel frames and they both felt unstable at times. It can be Wilson QC but I'm skeptical. Let's see what others have to say.

Torres 02-21-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonDiego (Post 7228755)
Got it. So far I've used three different BLX sticks and they all felt solid. I've used two Amplifeel frames and they both felt unstable at times. It can be Wilson QC but I'm skeptical. Let's see what others have to say.

Well, I have two 2012 95s and one them (361g with OG) is as solid if not more solid, than any of the 2010 95s I have. I have another 2012 which is more head heavy, more handle light, but again rock solid in the hoop though it feels more cumbersome to swing even though its 6g lighter.

I used to have a 2010 95 which felt like a tree log (360g), and currently two 2010 95s which handle beautifully and are fast feeling, and even at 354g and 355g feel lighter and infinitely easier to swing than my BLX Juice Pro at 346g. Neither are ultimately as solid and stable as other 95s I've owned, but I chose a faster feeling head over ultimate mass.

DonDiego 02-21-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 7229076)
Well, I have two 2012 95s and one them (361g with OG) is as solid if not more solid, than any of the 2010 95s I have. I have another 2012 which is more head heavy, more handle light, but again rock solid in the hoop though it feels more cumbersome to swing even though its 6g lighter.

I used to have a 2010 95 which felt like a tree log (360g), and currently two 2010 95s which handle beautifully and are fast feeling, and even at 354g and 355g feel lighter and infinitely easier to swing than my BLX Juice Pro at 346g. Neither are ultimately as solid and stable as other 95s I've owned, but I chose a faster feeling head over ultimate mass.

Do you feel like you could switch between the 2012 and 2010 frame (with same weight or close to) anytime during a match, and not even noticing it? (Except maybe for the different feel of the ball)

Torres 02-21-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonDiego (Post 7229084)
Do you feel like you could switch between the 2012 and 2010 frame (with same weight or close to) anytime during a match, and not even noticing it? (Except maybe for the different feel of the ball)

In an ideal world, you wouldn't want to swtich between different generaton frames during match, but if you did, of course you would notice it because they're constructed differently with the 2012 having more 'direct' feedback through the handle. The feel is different.

But assuming that the frames are perfectly matched in every way including strings and distribution of mass, it shouldn't be a detriment or certainly not a difference you couldn't adjust to. Personally, I prefer the 2010 6.1s but as I mentioned earlier, its just personal preference, probably influenced by the fact that I've playing with them for the best part of 3 years.

I think finding a 6.1 that matches the specs that you want is more important than whether its a 2010 or 2012 model.

babar 02-21-2013 07:12 PM

I used the BLX 6.1 for about two years. I loved everything about it except that I had trouble getting it around as well on serve due to the weight. The new 2012 6.1, on paper, seems to be exactly what I would want. When I tried it, over a few months, I felt I could swing it easier than the 2010, but I did not feel it to be less stable, just more maneuverable and thus, easier for me to swing on serve. I would totally have bought it, but the demo bug got me hooked on the new Yonex frames and I fell for the new EZone Xi 98. Alas, I still feel like I should get a 2012 BLX 6.1.

DonDiego 02-21-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babar (Post 7229530)
I used the BLX 6.1 for about two years. I loved everything about it except that I had trouble getting it around as well on serve due to the weight. The new 2012 6.1, on paper, seems to be exactly what I would want. When I tried it, over a few months, I felt I could swing it easier than the 2010, but I did not feel it to be less stable, just more maneuverable and thus, easier for me to swing on serve. I would totally have bought it, but the demo bug got me hooked on the new Yonex frames and I fell for the new EZone Xi 98. Alas, I still feel like I should get a 2012 BLX 6.1.

It's weird cause if you look at the specs of each racquet on TW University (http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-...quetspecs2.cgi), the 2012 is actually heavier, and has a heavier swingweight. That is also what I got when measuring them at home. And that's the feeling I get when I play with them. I always felt the 2010 was more maneuverable. That's why I still prefer it, by a slight margin.

tlm 02-21-2013 07:49 PM

I am demoing the team version and think it plays very good. Even though it is pretty light it still plays pretty solid, and with the terrible inconsistencies in wilson QC you can weight it to the specs you want.

DonDiego 02-21-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlm (Post 7229592)
I am demoing the team version and think it plays very good. Even though it is pretty light it still plays pretty solid, and with the terrible inconsistencies in wilson QC you can weight it to the specs you want.

Yes, the TEAM is an incredible racquet -- if you like light racquets. I'm not sure you can make it a heavy racquet (and benefit from heavy racquets attributes) just by adding lead tape. But if your goal is to make it around 325 strung, it should work well.

It is more flexible than the six one, and with Amplifeel the comfort is second to none. I only tried the 18x20 (in Canada), and didn't like the string pattern for spin. But maneuverability, control, even stability... a very good racquet. Probably Wilson's best update in 2012.

tlm 02-22-2013 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonDiego (Post 7229633)
Yes, the TEAM is an incredible racquet -- if you like light racquets. I'm not sure you can make it a heavy racquet (and benefit from heavy racquets attributes) just by adding lead tape. But if your goal is to make it around 325 strung, it should work well.

It is more flexible than the six one, and with Amplifeel the comfort is second to none. I only tried the 18x20 (in Canada), and didn't like the string pattern for spin. But maneuverability, control, even stability... a very good racquet. Probably Wilson's best update in 2012.

Ya I will just add a little weight, I have found that with the lighter versions like this team racket there is much better control than the regular version. You lose plow through and some stability, but I love the excellent control that the lighter racket has. Then between strings, tension and a little weight added I can fine tune it.

Sean4016 02-22-2013 04:46 AM

I play the 2012 version and like many have said it drives me absolutely crazy the spec differences between the racquets. I recently ordered one more and now it has a slightly different paint job as the ones from last year. Has anyone else seen this? I will post a pic if I get the chance.

barry 02-22-2013 07:06 AM

I think it is in the Amplifeel. I have used the BLX 95, New BLX 95, and both of the new blades with Amplifeel. The Ampifeel models seem stiffer and lack feel. Could be the fiber strips in the handle, but I switched back to the older version. Seemed to have more touch and feel. I know Ampifeel was designed to reduce vibrations, but for me it lacks feel and seems stiff.

Also purchased an 16x19 blade and it felt the same way. For some strange reason came out of my hand several times during a match. I never lose a racket during play, plus had a sore forearm. Something different for sure!

Best 6.1 ever was the Red one, still have a few of them.

DonDiego 02-22-2013 03:08 PM

I guess I'm lucky. I've got three BLX 2010 and they all weight 348 with a OG and a dampener. The 2012 I have weights 356.

It really helps to put a 18 gauge string in these racquets. For example, you can lower the weight as much as 7-8 grams just by switching from a 16 gauge poly to a 18 gauge multi (RIP control being the lightest). You also gain more headlightness and maneuverability.

corners 02-23-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonDiego (Post 7229584)
It's weird cause if you look at the specs of each racquet on TW University (http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-...quetspecs2.cgi), the 2012 is actually heavier, and has a heavier swingweight. That is also what I got when measuring them at home. And that's the feeling I get when I play with them. I always felt the 2010 was more maneuverable. That's why I still prefer it, by a slight margin.

TWU only tests one frame of each model. If you look around at the specs listed by various online retailers you'll see a massive variation with both the 2010 and 2012 models. I don't survey the specs of many frames like this but I have looked carefully at a couple. The K, BLX and 2012 versions of the 6.1 all have/had huge QC issues. For each of these iterations I've seen swingweights listed in the low 320s and the high 330s. When you're talking about two sticks, one with 322 swingweight and another with 338 swingweight, in my opinion they are not even the same model. I don't know why this continues to be a problem for Wilson, but if I was a 6.1 95 player I wouldn't buy these things unless I a) knew the specs I preferred, and b) asked TW or another retailer to pull two or more frames with those specs from inventory.

MAXXply 02-23-2013 06:07 PM

I took delivery of mine this week. Unfortunately it weighs 350gms strung, without my obligatory overgrip. :-(

tlm 02-24-2013 06:33 PM

The 2012 team edition is much better than prior 95 team versions. Anyone looking for a easy to swing spin friendly racket with excellent control should give it a try.