Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Gamma X-2 Video (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455468)

berima 02-21-2013 12:19 PM

Gamma X-2 Video

Thought I'd post this for those interested in the machine. I made a couple of mistakes since I just got back into tennis and just managed to break a string.

The video should give a general gist of using the machine and stringing in general.

Stringing a Head Microgel Instinct with Forten Sweet 17 Synthetic Gut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31F90l8J-fg

darklore009 02-21-2013 12:54 PM

nice video. this video will help for those that bought either the x-2 or the progression 2 for the first time.
btw, when starting the mains, arent you suppose to put a clamp in the center of the the first 2 mains?

lionel_101 02-21-2013 01:13 PM

I watched the beginning and some at the end. I just string racquetball racquets but noticed....

1. You forgot to use the support adapters at the head and throat. The metal on the posts could damage the paint job on the racquet.

2. Didn't look like you cinched up the tie off knots correctly.

3. Careless with your pliers in pulling on the knots and throwing it on the racquet bed. You could really hurt yourself.

berima 02-21-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darklore009 (Post 7228819)
nice video. this video will help for those that bought either the x-2 or the progression 2 for the first time.
btw, when starting the mains, arent you suppose to put a clamp in the center of the the first 2 mains?

Yes, you are suppose to put it one clamp size away from the end so that you can fit the other clamp when you tension the string.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lionel_101 (Post 7228859)
I watched the beginning and some at the end. I just string racquetball racquets but noticed....

1. You forgot to use the support adapters at the head and throat. The metal on the posts could damage the paint job on the racquet.

You are right about that, but the adapters only covered the bottom of the racquet so I felt using the posts would be better in supporting the racquet.

2. Didn't look like you cinched up the tie off knots correctly.

The knots are fine :), I should've included pictured at the end.

3. Careless with your pliers in pulling on the knots and throwing it on the racquet bed. You could really hurt yourself.

Yes, I agree but it looks like I am pulling towards myself, but I am actually pulling to the side of me so that I don't hit myself. In addition, I merely dropped the pliers on the string bed. I think the strings take more abuse from the ball.

Thanks for the comments!

Andyroo10567 02-21-2013 02:26 PM

Great quality on the video! What did you record with? Everything looks pretty clear throughout the whole video. Isn't it a bit too low for you to string on though?

lionel_101 02-21-2013 03:25 PM

I actually tried it without the support adapters when I first started out, as they didn't seem to do anything when mounting racquetball racquets. But after some comments from others, I try to use them when I can.

Gamma Tech said in a previous reply that ..

Use the largest (i.e. tallest) spacer (i.e. load spreader) available that doesn't touch the grommets or block the grommet holes. It spreads the load vertically and also prevents the racquet from accidentally popping off the mount.

Since your video was showing people how to string using the X-2, it might be good to include the support adapters being installed.

Anyways, to each his own and how they want to string to get the best results possible.

loosegroove 02-21-2013 03:46 PM

Yeah, use the support adapters people. If it was better to use only the poles, why would they even have made the adapters in the first place? The poles alone don't support the frame over a large enough surface area. I've seen a few rackets that have indents/cracks in the finish in the middle of the head and throat due to incorrect mounting like this.

berima 02-21-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyroo10567 (Post 7229006)
Great quality on the video! What did you record with? Everything looks pretty clear throughout the whole video. Isn't it a bit too low for you to string on though?

Recorded it with a Canon T3i w/ a Sigma 30mm f1/4 lens.

Yes the machine is a bit low, but since I am at my college apartment, it was the only place I had where I could rotate the racquet freely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lionel_101 (Post 7229103)
I actually tried it without the support adapters when I first started out, as they didn't seem to do anything when mounting racquetball racquets. But after some comments from others, I try to use them when I can.

Gamma Tech said in a previous reply that ..

Use the largest (i.e. tallest) spacer (i.e. load spreader) available that doesn't touch the grommets or block the grommet holes. It spreads the load vertically and also prevents the racquet from accidentally popping off the mount.

Since your video was showing people how to string using the X-2, it might be good to include the support adapters being installed.

Anyways, to each his own and how they want to string to get the best results possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosegroove (Post 7229154)
Yeah, use the support adapters people. If it was better to use only the poles, why would they even have made the adapters in the first place? The poles alone don't support the frame over a large enough surface area. I've seen a few rackets that have indents/cracks in the finish in the middle of the head and throat due to incorrect mounting like this.

Okay, well I made a note in the video. I will use them next time.

lionel_101 02-22-2013 06:49 AM

I looked at your video again and it looked at times when you were tensioning, that the bar was close to 20 - 30 degrees above horizontal when you clamped the strings. You might want to get it to more horizontal every time.

Also notice that one time you actually push the bar down with your hand to get it level (could have been near the end of the video). This is definitely not a good thing to do.

I could have just been seeing things and if so, disregarding what I have said.

I am just trying to be helpful and not picking on you.

BigEleven 02-22-2013 04:25 PM

Thanks for the video. I am a new stringer and an owner of x-2 as well. I had some very similar experience as illustrated in your video thus have the following question for everybody:

When pulling a main, he set the tension bar to horizontal. However as soon as he unclamped the previous main, the tension bar dropped further below. This occurred several times and some drops were quite significant. This happened to me as well. In my case, I would put the clamp back on to the previous main and re-pull tension. Is this necessary or I can just move on like the OP did?

Irvin 02-22-2013 08:20 PM

The bar is going to drop a little I do't recall any large drops. Wen it does drop it is pulling at a lower tension but not much. If you know it is always going to happen when not get the bar above level then when it drops Itis closer to level and the right tension?

tennis4 02-23-2013 02:06 AM

When it happens, I always raise the bar again to make it more horizontal.

2nd to the previous suggestions, the retainer chip is not optional.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEleven (Post 7231215)
Thanks for the video. I am a new stringer and an owner of x-2 as well. I had some very similar experience as illustrated in your video thus have the following question for everybody:

When pulling a main, he set the tension bar to horizontal. However as soon as he unclamped the previous main, the tension bar dropped further below. This occurred several times and some drops were quite significant. This happened to me as well. In my case, I would put the clamp back on to the previous main and re-pull tension. Is this necessary or I can just move on like the OP did?

Irvin 02-23-2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis4 (Post 7231724)
When it (weight bar drops below horizontal) happens, I always raise the bar again to make it more horizontal...

I think if the bar drops a few degrees you lose less than 1 lb of tension. If you continue to let the tensioner pull even at reference tension you stretch the string more and more although it is at reference tension. I think the double stretch would produce the most inconsistency.

Irvin 02-23-2013 02:29 AM

But on the other hand if you are using something like the JET Method and you always tension a string for 20 seconds (crosses) then it could be a good thing. A constant pull for a consistent length of time will produce the best results.