Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Sock It To Me, Baby! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455514)

stringertom 02-22-2013 01:20 AM

Sock It To Me, Baby!

Is this the break-out event for Jack in the bean Sock???

Very impressive win vs Raonic and backed up by a straight-set takedown of am aging but still talented former top-5 Blake! All of a sudden he's a QFist with a shot at listless Lopez and a winnable possible semi vs the Istomin/Russell winner.

He has a junior slam title and a senior MD slam crown. As an American, I've been hoping one of our young guys could step up. This is the first glimmer of a result that shows someone is headed upwards.

Keep it going, Jack!

rainingaces 02-22-2013 02:27 AM

Sock has more potential then Johnson, Harrison, Kudsla, for me I think he is the American to watch. I love his game and he seems to be over his injury now.

He just needs to serve better to beat lopez, he can't keep saving a trillion break points.

Duncan Bell 02-22-2013 03:01 AM

I've always liked Jack, although I'm not American. He's interesting and seems like there's a good amount of potential there. Not sure he'll beat Lopez, but I guess this will become the de facto Jack Sock thread. Long may it continue.

Gonzalito17 02-22-2013 05:54 AM

Sock is gonna knock F-Lo's you know what's off. Then win the Memphis title. Then win a singles major by 2014.

This is the outset of Sockamania

DunlopDood 02-22-2013 07:28 AM

Saw the kid play at a challenger event in Vancouver and was absolutely floored at how hard and heavy a ball he hits. I told myself that there's no way that he would be able to keep it up for the duration of the match, but wouldn't you know it he did, and won in pretty convincing fashion. Definitely a guy to keep our eye on in the future. I sure hope that if he has a good result in this tourney that it will spur him on to work hard and get in shape, because from what I saw last year he looked like he was at least 10-15 lbs. overweight for a tennis player, not only would it really help his movement but his joints would thank him for it too.

Ace of Aces 02-22-2013 07:45 AM

Sock em' Jack!!

librarysteg 02-22-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DunlopDood (Post 7230040)
Saw the kid play at a challenger event in Vancouver and was absolutely floored at how hard and heavy a ball he hits. I told myself that there's no way that he would be able to keep it up for the duration of the match, but wouldn't you know it he did, and won in pretty convincing fashion. Definitely a guy to keep our eye on in the future. I sure hope that if he has a good result in this tourney that it will spur him on to work hard and get in shape, because from what I saw last year he looked like he was at least 10-15 lbs. overweight for a tennis player, not only would it really help his movement but his joints would thank him for it too.

I thought he looked surprisingly winded during the part of the match I watched last night. It made me think he'd struggle to go three sets.

TenS_Ace 02-22-2013 06:31 PM

Jack seems to be in a bit of trouble against Lopez..n'uff said

Unfrozen Caveman 02-22-2013 06:34 PM

Score please. Link even better.

MindoverMatter 02-22-2013 06:38 PM

He lost. 4-6 3-6

Tshooter 02-22-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzalito17 (Post 7229904)
Sock is gonna knock F-Lo's you know what's off. Then win the Memphis title. Then win a singles major by 2014.

This is the outset of Sockamania

Would that be before or after Gasquet, who I think you said was "within striking distance" of a Major." :shock: Only needing a little "fine tuning" in the game and the head. (Which I bet would make Monfils laugh.)

Is Jack the Giant Slayer > Harry over the long-term ?

tennisbuck 02-22-2013 10:24 PM

I saw Jack play in juniors and he was extremely rude and demeaning to his opponent. I will pull for him only in Davis cup

DeShaun 02-23-2013 01:35 AM

If Sock played Filip Peliwo, having watched them both play, I would be rooting for Filip because his game seems less robotic or, perhaps you could argue, less refined but more fun-loving than Sock's; and I like to participate vicariously. As such, I always would rather have more fun at doing something than feel like I was subverting some of the fun that I could be having to some idea about obeying the percentages if these are anchored solely, or even just primarily, in the promise of better obtaining winning results without a shred of concern for how. Jack's serve at its best is roughly on the level of that of Feliciano Lopez to my eye--Sock is not going to be leading the tour in aces any time soon. His forehand as a rally stroke is a thousand times better mine and maybe even yours, but it is not anywhere near contemporary weapons grade. And the real problem lies with the fact that Sock's game seems to have been tailored to reward extreme fitness in an era where guys like Simon can rally all day, which orientation doe not exactly seem to emphasize Sock's natural strengths...but then again, I'm not crystal clear on whether if at all he possesses very much in the way of natural aptitudes that can soon be turned into serious weapons.

stringertom 02-23-2013 02:09 AM

The loss to Lopez denies a path to the finals, which would have given Thorlo enough points to crack the top 100 and avoid having to use WCs or qualies to play ATP and slam events.

Challengers are now key for him to raise points and improve confidence vs ATP regulars.

jaggy 02-23-2013 05:58 AM

That put a sock in it

Unfrozen Caveman 02-26-2013 11:41 AM

Sock beat Ebden in the first round of the Delray Beach tournament.

Onehandedbackhand 02-26-2013 12:17 PM

Sock is fat and going nowhere till he takes his fitness seriously.

stringertom 02-26-2013 12:30 PM

Sock jacks Ebden in straights while Harry heads home haplessly! He may be chunky but now has a chance to pound it to the quarters for a second week in a row. He'll need a good showing to take Berankis, another exciting up and comer, if Ricardis continues his beatdown of Phau...breadstick in the first!

Onehandedbackhand 02-26-2013 12:43 PM

It's easy to make quarters when you face schlubs because your are low ranked.

Wait till he's 70 and has Murray round 1, or any of the other 3. They'll all have him sucking wind in game 4.

Unfrozen Caveman 02-26-2013 12:46 PM

Berankis breaks through. He and Sock meet in the second round.