Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Stringing Rackets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455557)

csg4005 02-22-2013 09:43 AM

Stringing Rackets

Hey guys,

I got back into tennis this Summer and was playing mostly every day..

I got a new racket towards the end of Summer (Prince exo3 Rebel 98) & almost immediately after relocated to a different city to begin a new job.. Since playing every day, my game has dropped off the face of the planet & I can not do anything right.

I need to get my racket restrung, but I was just curious -- how big of an impact will that keep my balls from sailing out? Most of my forehands always seem to be landing ~2 feet long of the baseline. I'm curious if new strings will help that, or if its just me..

A little background -- I got my racket strung in August. I played in 1 tournament and almost every night for about a month-1.5 months and since then it has sat in its bag up until a couple weeks ago when I started picking it up again.. So needless to say, the strings are very mobile lol.

Will a string job help with this?

mikeler 02-22-2013 09:54 AM

What string did you put in it last summer?

iradical18 02-22-2013 09:54 AM

It can make a big impact but like in most cases, technique matters more than anything. There is no danger in playing with strings as old as the ones you've got in but it's not going to help your game any. You mentioned you played in a tournament, what level are you? Regardless, it's been a good 6 months since you've had it strung so it could definitely use a tune up!

anubis 02-22-2013 10:27 AM

You may not be stringing your racquet enough. If you're using synthetic gut, then the rule of thumb is you should be restringing per year as often as you play per week.

Example: if you play three times per week, then you should re-string three times per year.

but that's absolutely minimum. If you want to maximize the performance of your strings, then you should restring more often that that.

If you're using poly, then you should be restringing after about 10 to 15 hours of play time on those strings.

Bottom line is, your strings are way dead. so far dead that it's not even funny. You should restring, and quickly at that.

Playing on dead strings definitely has its limitations. You lose control, feel, and often they become too powerful to control.

If your issue truly is just to get a new string job, then yes you will see a performance improvement. But its really hard to say for sure.

If after you've gotten your strings redone and you're still experiencing the same issues, then you can do one of two things:

1.) post video of yourself playing to the "Tennis Tips" section here, and let some of our wiser contributors give you some advice.

2.) see a local teaching pro in your area.

zapvor 02-22-2013 12:16 PM

yea restring your racket. its time. but thats not directly correlated with your performance so to speak

MikeHitsHard93 02-22-2013 01:28 PM

You most likely need to hit the ball sooner and on the rise rather than late and when it's falling. Regardless, I would get it strung with a good synthetic @56lbs.

csg4005 02-22-2013 01:46 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'm going to get my strings restrung soon.

As for the strings that are in & my playing level...

I have Babolat RPM Blast in currently, & I'm a 3.5