Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Helping new players learn the Coman tiebreak procedure (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455590)

Orange 02-22-2013 04:49 PM

Helping new players learn the Coman tiebreak procedure

Of course, the very best way to help my new players (who have never played a match) learn how to use the Coman tiebreak procedure is to play using it. Weather has prevented us several times from playing several times, and our first match is looming.

A year ago, I found a good explanation with a diagram online, but I can't find it now. It was not the one on the USTA site. I have the instructions without a diagram. I can't remember whether the explanation I saw was part of a video.

Does anyone know where online to find a good explanation with a diagram for beginners?

TXdad 02-22-2013 04:56 PM

Perform a lobotomy on them, dumbest thing ever, all that walking back and forth, hate it.

gmatheis 02-22-2013 06:32 PM

Coman is very simple for doubles, everyone serves from the same side they served from during the set. The first person serves once from the deuce court and then everyone else serves twice starting from the ad court.

It actually makes more sense for doubles than the old way.

In singles it may be a little more confusing ... but it is still less confusing than sometimes having to serve 1 point then switch sides before serving your next point.

Even in singles,after the first point, both people serve two points then switch sides and repeat

tenniscasey 02-22-2013 06:58 PM

The Coman tiebreaker is just the worst.

I play one dude who insists on using it, but most of my other tennis people have thankfully never heard of this abomination.

beernutz 02-22-2013 07:32 PM

I like it, particularly for doubles and honestly fail to see what the fuss is about. Like has already been said it can't be any stupider than seving one point on one side of the net then having to cross to the other side to hit the next one.

tenniscasey 02-22-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beernutz (Post 7231460)
I like it, particularly for doubles and honestly fail to see what the fuss is about. Like has already been said it can't be any stupider than seving one point on one side of the net then having to cross to the other side to hit the next one.

It adds a pointless complication to a sport where players frequently forget the score as is. There's plenty to remember in tennis without throwing a goofy-rules novelty tiebreaker into the mix.

Cindysphinx 02-22-2013 09:05 PM

Coman actually makes it easier to remember service order and score, IMHO. You start serving your two points from the same side. Odd points start from the ad side, which is each server's first of two points. Switch on the first point and every four points thereafter. Easy.

I also like how the extra changeovers give me and my partner a few extra seconds to move to the other side and *think.*

Even though our matches are indoors, I prefer that we stick to Coman.

beernutz 02-22-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenniscasey (Post 7231500)
It adds a pointless complication to a sport where players frequently forget the score as is. There's plenty to remember in tennis without throwing a goofy-rules novelty tiebreaker into the mix.

Coman keeps doubles players serving from the same side in the tiebreak as they did in the set and keeps all tiebreaks from having a player switch sides from one serve to the next. It is not pointless.

If it is too complicated for you ok. At least you are confident enough to admit that on a public forum.

spot 02-23-2013 07:23 AM

Coman is a great thing for doubles and useless in singles. I don't get why they don't just stick with that and if players forget and use the wrong one then what is the big deal?

I really don't get how people think it is complicated. Seriously.... how dumb do you have to be to think that it is complicated?

tenniscasey 02-23-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spot (Post 7231874)
Coman is a great thing for doubles and useless in singles. I don't get why they don't just stick with that and if players forget and use the wrong one then what is the big deal?

I really don't get how people think it is complicated. Seriously.... how dumb do you have to be to think that it is complicated?

You shouldn't be calling other people dumb. "It adds a pointless complication" (which I said) is not the same thing as "it is complicated" (which nobody here has said; Coman isn't complicated in isolation, it becomes a complication when you add it to the existing rule system that everyone naturally uses).

The guy who insists on using Coman is one of my singles opponents. At least you and I can agree that Coman is useless in singles.

dizzlmcwizzl 02-23-2013 09:37 AM

The one thing I like about Coman in singles is that you need to switch more frequently. The side you start on seems less likely to decide the outcome if one side is way worse than the other.

tenniscasey 02-23-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 7232096)
The one thing I like about Coman in singles is that you need to switch more frequently. The side you start on seems less likely to decide the outcome if one side is way worse than the other.

Yeah, my Coman fan buddy says this system started in southern California to minimize disadvantages related to playing into the sun at sunrise or sunset. I don't think it's meaningfully different from switching every six points, but if players agree to use it, to each their own.

Cindysphinx 02-23-2013 09:59 AM

I think it is very different in singles compared to the old way. If it is very windy, being on the bad side for the first six points of a seven point tiebreak is not fair.

VeeSe 02-23-2013 10:18 AM

I always thought it was a "combing" tiebreak.

tenniscasey 02-23-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7232130)
I think it is very different in singles compared to the old way. If it is very windy, being on the bad side for the first six points of a seven point tiebreak is not fair.

Why? It can be a strategic play to go for / avoid a tiebreaker if the wind would be a factor. I don't see why this opportunity creates anything "not fair."

vegasgt3 02-23-2013 03:10 PM

I actually think its the fair way to it. It is confusing because the Pro's don't use it. But, they should too!

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-23-2013 03:18 PM

What's wrong with the normal tiebreak again?

tenniscasey 02-23-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7232549)
What's wrong with the normal tiebreak again?

Apparently it is somehow "not fair."

tenniscasey 02-23-2013 03:36 PM

http://macontennis.com/comantiebreak.pdf

I didn't mean to hijack this thread with my editorial comments on the procedure. My apologies to the OP. The link above provides a decent explanation, with diagrams, of how Coman works.

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-23-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenniscasey (Post 7232553)
Apparently it is somehow "not fair."

Sounds like a (bad) excuse for not being able to figure it out.