Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Good snacks for high school tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455711)

Reader 02-24-2013 07:02 AM

Good snacks for high school tennis

Need suggestions for healthy snacks/food to provide for boys high school tennis team before/during matches. They get on bus at 3:30, ride 45-60 minutes to other school, start play at 5. What can team parents provide?

Traditionally we have done anything from small roast beef or chicken sandwiches to granola bars, fruit, etc.

We will also put out food for home matches - chicken fingers, small sub sandwiches, pizza, etc. Some parents have asked for healthier food, problem is that boys are starving right after school and want more than just a banana and yogurt. Obviously the starters don't eat right before they go on court (they eat afterwards).

Thanks.

watergirl 02-24-2013 07:12 AM

Actually the chicken sandwhich, grilled, is a great option. My kid would go for a 6 inch turkey on wheat, american cheese, green peppers and onions, pepper.

MarinaHighTennis 02-24-2013 07:36 AM

Costco turkey wraps. Dont give something big

schang70 02-24-2013 08:47 AM

What about sushi? Obviously not sashimi or anything that contains raw fish, but a California roll is tasty and light, plus it is packed with lots of carbs.

BHiC 02-24-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarinaHighTennis (Post 7233481)
Costco turkey wraps. Dont give something big

That is a good idea. For pre-match food, I always love a Chick-Fil-A chicken sandwich, light enough to pay on but will still tide me over until after the match.

treeman10 02-24-2013 02:36 PM

We had our bagel shop do a sandwich platter of various lunch meats with cheese which included a vegetarian choice too. They quartered them into finger sandwiches so boys could eat as much or little as they wanted. (Had condiments on side, sandwiches were plain cause not everyone likes the same spread/mustard, etc.) Had bananas, watermelon slices, etc., (fruit platter) and usually grapes done in separate snack bags they could grab and take with them and keep dirty hands to themselves. Maybe a "healthier" chip, can't remember that. Brought a cooler of water/sports drink. Still brought something like brownies/cookies for when matches were done if they wanted. Players know not to eat that kind of thing before they play but enjoy the treat after.

axel89 02-24-2013 03:34 PM

Bagels!!!!!

Alohajrtennis 02-24-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axel89 (Post 7234318)
Bagels!!!!!

Next thing you know, they'll be suggesting breadsticks too.

barringer97 02-24-2013 05:28 PM

Thin Mints.

Reader 02-26-2013 03:08 AM

Haha, I like the bagels and breadsticks ideas, but totally don't get the thin mints. Thanks for the other suggestions.