Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Using Gamma Clamps on an Eagnas Machine (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455742)

porchdoor 02-24-2013 11:51 AM

Using Gamma Clamps on an Eagnas Machine
 
Hey guys, this is a future reference for myself as well as an FYI for everyone else. I own an Eagnas Combo 910 machine, and one of the string-assisted clamps broke on me. The breaking was more due to my own fault in not realizing how the tightening mechanism works and me overtightening. But anyways, when looking to replace just a single clamp from Eagnas, I found it was gonna cost me $162, which I found way too absurd. I had to do a little sleuthing around badminton forums and found that Gamma quick action clamps will work just fine with the machine. There were also a hell of a lot cheaper at $75.00, and they work way better as well.

TL;DR ---> Eagnas swivel clamps can be upgraded to Gamma quick action base clamps (Make sure to get MQAC-10, not MQAC-11).

Hope this helps anyone looking to upgrade their Eagnas machines.

Lakers4Life 02-24-2013 12:06 PM

You must of seen Pandamans old setup. Thanks for the heads up. BTW you know you are going from a switch action to what basically is a screw action clamp.

A friend of mine recently purchased a set of automatic release string/base clamps from Racquet Depot in the UK. They are made by Pro's Pro. I think he said he paid about $160 for the two sets, shipped.


porchdoor 02-24-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7233975)
You must of seen Pandamans old setup. Thanks for the heads up. BTW you know you are going from a switch action to what basically is a screw action clamp.

I saw it from here actually: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...10-and-MQAC-11

But about the screw action clamp, really? I do remember years ago when I first bought my machine that the Eagnas switch action clamps didn't feel as easy as the "just a flick of a switch" kind of description that was perpetuated with switch-action clamps, and I figured maybe the Eagnas one was just lower quality. But the Gamma one feels similar in its mechanism, just way smoother to operate. And I also inspected both clamps, and the clamping mechanisms seem comparable. Anyways, regardless, these Gamma clamps are dope.

Lakers4Life 02-24-2013 12:33 PM

The real Gamma Switch action base clamps are $240 each. The Quick Action don't have a "click" when you lock them. Trust me, I've owned them and dislocated my thumb using them.

I have not been to BC in a while, but Pandaman had the correct height Gamma Quick Action clamps on his old setup. He now uses a Yonex ES5Pro.

struggle 02-24-2013 01:13 PM

i'm sure your gamma clamps work well, I've had the Eagnas "switch action" or whatever they call them. adequate, yes.

the newer gamma switch action clamps are a world apart. i'm not sure they can be had for $75, but i could be wrong.

as Lakers said, the "throw" on the gamma lets you know it, so it to speak. it has an obvious fulcrum or whatever it might be called so as the lever tends to flip to whichever side of center it is on (flipping to "off" easier than to "on" of course).

porchdoor 02-24-2013 06:31 PM

I agree with both you guys and I'm not disputing any of you, but for my sake let's go over semantics just to make sure I understand everything:

If we were to propose a phylogenetic tree of clamp bases, we can start with 2 nodes: glide clamps and swivel clamps. With the swivel clamps we can branch off into two more nodes: cone-lock and spring-assisted. And from what I'm gathering from this thread I made, spring assisted can branch further to quick-action and switch action? Is that correct?

Lakers4Life 02-24-2013 07:50 PM

Yes and yes, but Stringway makes a sort of glide bar clamp which does not use a cone lock and Babolat Star 5/Sensor use a sort of disc brake. Then let's not get into Electro Magnetic clamps.

Getting back to Eagnas and Gamma. Eagnas lower end clamp is called a Cone lock swivel clamp, because of the cone like washer. The switch action also has a cone but is activated with a cam/switch, it's a copy of the older Babolat swivel clamps.

The Gamma Quick Action clamps are similar to the Eagnas CL clamps. They require a 1/4 to 1/3 turn to lock, instead of the 1/2 turn of the Eagnas. The Gamma Switch Action Cam-lock are decades better than the Eagnas clamps. I have over 1000 rackets on my Gamma clamps, and they have not slipped yet nor need constant adjustment like the Eagnas SA clamps of that same usage.

aryansmith 03-01-2013 07:25 AM

Lakers4Life..

Can you tell me how your friends change to the Pro's Pro Automatic release string/base clamps you have pictured above went and how he likes them? I have a Eagnas 910 Combo with a broke clamp as well. I've been using floating clamps to get by but I really hate the inconsistency I'm getting since they are cheap clamps too. I was thinking about doing the upgrade you have listed but it's still a good chunk to put down (160).

Sure beats buying a new machine though.

evantsung 03-01-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aryansmith (Post 7243967)
Lakers4Life..

Can you tell me how your friends change to the Pro's Pro Automatic release string/base clamps you have pictured above went and how he likes them? I have a Eagnas 910 Combo with a broke clamp as well. I've been using floating clamps to get by but I really hate the inconsistency I'm getting since they are cheap clamps too. I was thinking about doing the upgrade you have listed but it's still a good chunk to put down (160).

Sure beats buying a new machine though.

Hello, I'm the friend. The Pro's Pro rails fit perfectly on my Alpha Pioneer DC Plus. I'm not sure if the holes will line up for the 910... Someone else may need to chime in.
The weight of the clamp is not heavy enough to activate the auto release (yet). Maybe they need some more use to break them in. The way I see it, if the auto release never functions properly, then I see a problem. To release the base clamp, you need to drive the clamp post down hard enough to disengage the base clamp, which sometimes takes me two tries to achieve. Or the other way is to push the button on top of the switch, which takes some force to do. If the force of impact doesn't easily release the base, then you can imagine how much force you'll need to push with your finger. I don't think my finger will enjoy that for the long haul. The original spring assisted base clamps on my Alpha are more straight forward to use.
As mentioned before, they may just need more use to break them in to loosen them up. So far, I'm not too impressed, but will give them more time.
BTW, they are out of stock until April.

aryansmith 03-01-2013 09:58 AM

Thanks for the info.. That doesn't sounds like a great fix less they break in nicely. It looks like the holes should be the same but not sure on that either now. I had assumed you had an Eagnas too.

It's tough because I could put that money toward a quality NEOs or something instead of pouring it into the 910. The machine seems fine other then the crappy clamps which have never been great.

ewberner 03-01-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evantsung (Post 7244413)
Hello, I'm the friend. The Pro's Pro rails fit perfectly on my Alpha Pioneer DC Plus. I'm not sure if the holes will line up for the 910... Someone else may need to chime in.
The weight of the clamp is not heavy enough to activate the auto release (yet). Maybe they need some more use to break them in. The way I see it, if the auto release never functions properly, then I see a problem. To release the base clamp, you need to drive the clamp post down hard enough to disengage the base clamp, which sometimes takes me two tries to achieve. Or the other way is to push the button on top of the switch, which takes some force to do. If the force of impact doesn't easily release the base, then you can imagine how much force you'll need to push with your finger. I don't think my finger will enjoy that for the long haul. The original spring assisted base clamps on my Alpha are more straight forward to use.
As mentioned before, they may just need more use to break them in to loosen them up. So far, I'm not too impressed, but will give them more time.
BTW, they are out of stock until April.

Are you using the clamps that came with the base and rails? Would your Alpha clamps fit into the bases?

evantsung 03-01-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewberner (Post 7244933)
Are you using the clamps that came with the base and rails? Would your Alpha clamps fit into the bases?

The Alpha clamps will not work with these bases bc the interface is different.

ewberner 03-01-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evantsung (Post 7245074)
The Alpha clamps will not work with these bases bc the interface is different.

Yeah, my bad. I see that now. How long have you had them for?

aryansmith 03-13-2013 06:49 AM

Just wanted to thank porchdoor for this info. I went with his upgrade and love these gamma bases. They fit perfect and work a ton better then the Eagnas ones. Was a great upgrade without spending a ton of cash. I have a lot more confidence in my machine now thanks to these things.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse