Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   San Francisco Tennis Club Tourney's (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455755)

eastbayliz 02-24-2013 03:26 PM

San Francisco Tennis Club Tourney's

Anyone in the Bay Area here? After a 15 year tennis hiatus I am for the first time playing competitively as an adult rather then a Junior player. SF Tennis club is hosting almost a tournament every month in 2013. So far I've played two matches....lost 2 and 2 in 4.5 and then took two games off a real hotshot junior playing Open. I almost laughed after each game I won as this player was as a good as any (actually better)then any of the Juniors I played in 16 and under Nationals a lifetime ago.

What I like about the SF Tennis Club is that I can get there via public transportation without too much trouble, the courts and the club are very nice, and most of all the draws for the women's side have about more players then in Oakland.

What I don't like about is that I have to get there early so I don't stress about being late. And nothing makes nerves worse than having an hour to kill before you play.

Alas it is fun to be back playing...but it'll be even more fun if I can get a few wins.

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-24-2013 03:37 PM

San Francisco Tennis Club is... meh

Cons:
- Charges WAY too much
- Charges WAY too much for court time on top of monthly charges
- There is no space beyond the alleys on the middle courts. Everyone go with the "SFTC slice serve" on the deuce court, or the "SFTC short-kick" on the ad court.
- For a club that charges as much as they do, you can't turn on the AC? It's so stuffy in there.
- There's a constant and loud humming background noise. Don't bother calling shots out, because your opponent won't hear you. Resort to hand signals instead.
- The pro shop sucks.
- Restaurant/bar sucks too.

Pros:
- It's indoor, so you can play during the Dec-Feb rainy months.
- Faster courts.

LeeD 02-24-2013 03:40 PM

5th and Brannan?
I hit there the first week they opened, a while ago.
Pea, Marisa, and Ronnie Louie worked as instructors there.
Haven't been there in 30 years.
Do they still have the upstairs restaurant that overlooked the first couple of indoor courts?
I usually play in Berkeley, mostly SanPablo courts, mostly pickup doubles.

eastbayliz 02-24-2013 10:51 PM

I would never be able to play at a place like this were it not for a tournament. My head spins when I think of how much money they probably charge for a membership and court fee's.

First courts I have seen inside in California. I'm from Utah where it snows so I grew up playing inside half the year..from the darkest most claustrophobic bubbles to some outstanding indoor clubs and facilities. I'm just thrilled to have a chance to play tournaments with bigger Women's draws.

eastbayliz 02-24-2013 10:55 PM

Yep on 5th just a few blocks up from where The Giants play at ATT Park. They do have still have the bar overlooking courts. First four courts are great for spectators but from there the views are minimal.

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-24-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastbayliz (Post 7234840)
I would never be able to play at a place like this were it not for a tournament. My head spins when I think of how much money they probably charge for a membership and court fee's.

First courts I have seen inside in California. I'm from Utah where it snows so I grew up playing inside half the year..from the darkest most claustrophobic bubbles to some outstanding indoor clubs and facilities. I'm just thrilled to have a chance to play tournaments with bigger Women's draws.

I've asked them about membership, because the thought of playing on fast courts with near perfect conditions is something I will always fancy.

- Initiation fee is something ridiculous like $500-$1500. They don't have a set price and fluctuate depending on the season.
- Monthly dues can be anywhere from $180-$250/month.
- Add $$$ court time fees on top of your monthly dues.

Even if I overlook that ridiculous initiation fee, ~$200/month+court fees for stuffy, overbooked, poorly designed courts (no room beyond the alleys), and non-impressive amenities.

Please...

slowfox 02-25-2013 03:26 AM

Yeah, tennis clubs are obscenely priced. But it is what it is. For the amount of real estate they take up (especially in a town like SF), I guess it has to priced that way.

jdubbs 02-25-2013 03:29 AM

I just quit my membership there. My monthly bill was running to about $600 a month!

You can never get a court. Old timers who paid a one time fee back when they were desparate for people have the system perfected. They pay no court fees and have an extremely low monthly to none so its great for them, but sucks for the rest of us.
The service there is horrible. Employees are instructed to get those fees wherever and whenever possible. they'll have a member appreciation night with mediocre food and charge $50. They do what they can to extract super high fees from you for every little thing, including parking. Court fees are outrageous, considering its usually decent weather outside, if slightly chilly.

Definitely one of the worst rip offs for tennis anywhere. Stay away.

OrangePower 02-25-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastbayliz (Post 7234840)
First courts I have seen inside in California.

Just as an aside, Clubsport over in Pleasanton has indoor courts, which are pretty nice. I'm not a member but some friends of mine are. I think monthly dues are around $200, which is not bad considering Clubsport is a pretty comprehensive fitness center (weights, aerobics, pilates/yoga/classes, pool, daycare, etc) in addition to the tennis. And I don't think members pay any extra for court time.

I would probably join if I was closer (I live about 30 mins away).

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-25-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 7235433)
Just as an aside, Clubsport over in Pleasanton has indoor courts, which are pretty nice. I'm not a member but some friends of mine are. I think monthly dues are around $200, which is not bad considering Clubsport is a pretty comprehensive fitness center (weights, aerobics, pilates/yoga/classes, pool, daycare, etc) in addition to the tennis. And I don't think members pay any extra for court time.

I would probably join if I was closer (I live about 30 mins away).

Clubsports do require you to pay attention court time fees I believe. I had a tournament at the Fremont Clubsport, and I had to pay to try out the courts prior to the weekend.

Joeyg 02-25-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7235446)
Clubsports do require you to pay attention court time fees I believe. I had a tournament at the Fremont Clubsport, and I had to pay to try out the courts prior to the weekend.

Neither Clubsport Pleasanton or Clubsport Fremont charge court fees on top of the monthly dues. I am a member of both and I am 100% sure.

A single tennis membership is $163 and a couple is around $245 for either location. A gold membership that allows you to play at both locations is available and has a higher monthly fee.

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-25-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdubbs (Post 7234978)
I just quit my membership there. My monthly bill was running to about $600 a month!

You can never get a court. Old timers who paid a one time fee back when they were desparate for people have the system perfected. They pay no court fees and have an extremely low monthly to none so its great for them, but sucks for the rest of us.
The service there is horrible. Employees are instructed to get those fees wherever and whenever possible. they'll have a member appreciation night with mediocre food and charge $50. They do what they can to extract super high fees from you for every little thing, including parking. Court fees are outrageous, considering its usually decent weather outside, if slightly chilly.

Definitely one of the worst rip offs for tennis anywhere. Stay away.

If you play against SFTC people outdoors in a league match, they'd b!tch a lot about the sun, slight breeze, and everything that involves being outside.

eastbayliz 02-25-2013 10:41 AM

sftc

My interest in SFTC is solely based on the tournaments they hold. I think how people rate courts is very relative to what courts they have played on. For me SFTC is 10 times better than anything I've played on the last year. Who knows maybe in a year I will have a different view. I do wish they were better set up for spectators. And the echo is pretty bad. I wonder how the outdoor courts play? I know they are on the roof.

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-25-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastbayliz (Post 7235667)
My interest in SFTC is solely based on the tournaments they hold. I think how people rate courts is very relative to what courts they have played on. For me SFTC is 10 times better than anything I've played on the last year. Who knows maybe in a year I will have a different view. I do wish they were better set up for spectators. And the echo is pretty bad. I wonder how the outdoor courts play? I know they are on the roof.

It can get pretty windy up there.

slowfox 02-25-2013 11:55 AM

Has nothing to do with the SFTC, but whenever I'm in the Bay Area I go to SF State to play. Just saying... :)

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-25-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7235792)
Has nothing to do with the SFTC, but whenever I'm in the Bay Area I go to SF State to play. Just saying... :)

I do too. However:

Con:
- It's slow as hell there, courts are like sandpaper. Some people like it, but I don't.
- Some of the courts are simply uneven, ESPECIALLY the middle rows, court 9 and beyond. If you look at the lines from a certain angle, you can see the unevenness. And if you hit your spot right, you can get some monster kick serves without trying.
- Whoever positioned the courts need to be fired. Depending on the time of the day, one side of the court stares directly into the sun.

LeeD 02-25-2013 03:42 PM

Haven't been to State courts since the late '70's. Do they still have like 19 courts down below street level?
This is CALIFORNIA, where it's sunny every day (or 5 days a week), and outdoor activities year round is possible.
Today was 62 degrees, uncrowded at the 6 courts in SanPablo, and pickup doubles for an easy game.

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-25-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7236191)
Haven't been to State courts since the late '70's. Do they still have like 19 courts down below street level?
This is CALIFORNIA, where it's sunny every day (or 5 days a week), and outdoor activities year round is possible.
Today was 62 degrees, uncrowded at the 6 courts in SanPablo, and pickup doubles for an easy game.

Yep, and either halves of those 19 courts STILL stares directly into the sun throughout the day.

LeeD 02-25-2013 05:06 PM

Well, most courts do face N and S, instead of a combination of W and E, so you're gonna get sun no matter which courts they are, at some time of the day.
GoldenGatePark's 20 courts get glary sun in winter mornings...on one side.
As do Dupont, VincenteSt., and every court in Berkeley, since they're all aligned N and S.
Don't play between 9 and 1PM.
I'm a lefty, and I like the challenge of facing the morning sun.

grolson1993 02-25-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7235792)

Same here! It's a great place. Also GGP is okay, but some great courts are up on 9th and Pacheco, JP Murphy Playground. 3 courts, newly surfaced, and the scenery is really nice up there. If you ever wanna hit shoot me an email, always looking for new hitting partners :)