Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   (Need your help) buying CAMERA to record sets / hitting (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455785)

corbind 02-24-2013 11:23 PM

(Need your help) buying CAMERA to record sets / hitting

I need your help with buying a digital camera.
  • Camera to record mostly sets and some hitting
  • Location on back fence/wall 10’ up (infrequently used for up-close shots on a tripod)
  • Purpose for watching at home to analyze court movement, shot selection, and some stroke mechanics
  • Duration 2 to 4 hours (need a 32 GB SD and external battery pack?)
  • Venue both indoor and outdoor courts maybe 50 times a year
  • Price $100-$300
I’m hoping to get suggestions from those who actually own a camera and have videoed matches, strokes and slowed them down on computer for analysis. Not looking for guys who lean their iPhone against their tennis bag, hit, and record. A camera that may have worked 3 years ago likely will not be a model I’d be able (or want to) buy today.

Even if you have just general suggestions that’s great. Better if you can suggest SPECIFIC camera models (links), what’s worked for you, price, etcetera. The more details you can provide the easier it will be for me to make my purchase decision.

Since I’ll be using the thing outdoor about 50 times a year, my assumption is a sport camera would be a good idea. If it starts to rain, I’ll have to go get the camera down from the top of the fence. For indoor recording there are just 3 courts with 8,500 watts of fluorescent lighting shooting straight down on courts so pretty bright (unlike most club shooting at ceiling).
  • I’ll be fast-forwarding through 2-4 hours of sets on any particular day to watch points and movement. Not a lot of slo-mo here unless something is interesting
  • While just hitting sometimes I’ll slow it down to watch mechanics seeing if there’s anything odd
  • Occasionally watch slo-mo serve but not too often as that’s not a prime purpose
  • Video file will be deleted after analysis (I don’t want a hard drive full of them)
  • Camera will need to run 2-4 hours so a battery of sorts needed
  • I have an Ankler Astro3 battery pack (10,000 mAh) that powers/charges devices via USB -- can a camera be charging via usb and record at the same time?)

Bring on your specific camera suggestions and things that you feel can help in my purchase this week. Thanks in advance. :) Here's the view I'm hoping to get. Well slightly wider to get the doubles alleys, too. This is just a hasty pic done with front-facing camera on iPod Touch 5g for an example of what I'm hoping to video...

maxpotapov 02-25-2013 12:29 AM

Quite simple, Panasonic LX7
http://m.dpreview.com/reviews/panaso...mix-dmc-lx7/13
720p @ 120 fps with manual shutter speed and aperture in "creative mode", on top of everything else

beernutz 02-25-2013 02:43 AM

Make sure you check the min focal length of the lens to see how wide an angle you can get. I use an old discontinued Sony HDR HC3 camera which has a pretty wide angle but I ended up buying an add-on wide angle lens (.7) to get the whole court and all the players recorded. It was only $28. The camera also has a remote so I can stop it between sets if I want.

I think my next camera will have the AVCHD Progressive format which lets you record 1920 x 1080/60p video.

There is a good post in this section on mounting your camera too. Based on its good reviews I've ordered a QM-1 from mytennistools for mounting the camera on top of the fence but as I don't have it yet I can't give a review.

Currently for mounting I use an inexpensive ultrapod which has a velcro strap for attaching it to things like fences but I want to mount the camera up higher for a better view and to keep it farther away from balls.

snoopy 02-25-2013 08:40 PM

I have a separate question that's related to the OP's question. I haven't looked for a camera or camcorder in a few years. How is the video quality of cameras these days? Except for at the professional level, are the days of the camcorder gone because the video quality of most cameras has gotten so good?

corbind 02-25-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpotapov (Post 7234891)
Quite simple, Panasonic LX7
http://m.dpreview.com/reviews/panaso...mix-dmc-lx7/13
720p @ 120 fps with manual shutter speed and aperture in "creative mode", on top of everything else

Well I read the specs in the link and everything at Amazon also. It gets stellar reviews and seems like a wonderful camera. Unfortunately It's $400 so out of my suggested price range of $100-$300. I've added that my wish list on Amazon but gonna wait around here for more posters to kinda explain their choices and thoughts on why.

Tonight I recorded some for fun with my iPod touch 5g. I made four short videos and it used 2.1mb per second, 125mb per min, or 7.5gb per hour. I don't even know what resolution it recorded in or fps (anyone know?). That was just for fun. I need a long-term camera or recorder which brought about my thread here.

corbind 02-25-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beernutz (Post 7234941)
Make sure you check the min focal length of the lens to see how wide an angle you can get. I use an old discontinued Sony HDR HC3 camera which has a pretty wide angle but I ended up buying an add-on wide angle lens (.7) to get the whole court and all the players recorded.

Well I looked up your camera and it has (stock): Focal Length (Wide): 5.1 mm so I'll just have to remember 7.0 or greater. Do they normally list this spec in digital cameras or list degrees of view? I'm thinking I've seen degrees but dunno...

Quote:

Originally Posted by beernutz (Post 7234941)
There is a good post in this section on mounting your camera too. Based on its good reviews I've ordered a QM-1 from mytennistools for mounting the camera on top of the fence but as I don't have it yet I can't give a review.

Be sure to post your review on that when you can. I've looked at that camera stick many times the QM is 2-5" too tall to fit in my tennis bag. So unless that pole can be shortened I'm gonna have to make my own.

maxpotapov 02-25-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corbind (Post 7236607)
Well I read the specs in the link and everything at Amazon also. It gets stellar reviews and seems like a wonderful camera. Unfortunately It's $400 so out of my suggested price range of $100-$300. I've added that my wish list on Amazon but gonna wait around here for more posters to kinda explain their choices and thoughts on why.

Tonight I recorded some for fun with my iPod touch 5g. I made four short videos and it used 2.1mb per second, 125mb per min, or 7.5gb per hour. I don't even know what resolution it recorded in or fps (anyone know?). That was just for fun. I need a long-term camera or recorder which brought about my thread here.

$400 is not so bad if you consider it a long term investment. I'm still using Panasonic FZ7 for photo and video recording. 7 years without any problems, only now battery runs out fast ($30 to replace)
Camera is not something that you would upgrade like a smartphone, every other year.

86golf 02-26-2013 11:07 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBFArNn1-qA&sns=em

Have you looked at the creative vado? I shot the above vid w the stock lens. I have the first gen and you can still get them on amazon.

corbind 02-26-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86golf (Post 7237865)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBFArNn1-qA&sns=em

Have you looked at the creative vado? I shot the above vid w the stock lens. I have the first gen and you can still get them on amazon.

Just watched the video twice and seems decent but the specs say "With 4GB of onboard memory, the Vado HD can hold up to 2 hours of HD." And that's that "new" Vado3 which has just 4GB memory so won't be able to record our typical summer tennis sessions almost double that length. But it seems like a great, inexpensive way to get recording done.

86golf 02-27-2013 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corbind (Post 7238689)
Just watched the video twice and seems decent but the specs say "With 4GB of onboard memory, the Vado HD can hold up to 2 hours of HD." And that's that "new" Vado3 which has just 4GB memory so won't be able to record our typical summer tennis sessions almost double that length. But it seems like a great, inexpensive way to get recording done.

Decent is correct. It's not high end, has low quality mic and doesn't do well with indoor light. For tennis, it works out well. 1st gen has 8gb and a wide angle lens. None of the other pocket camcorders in this class can even get the singles sidelines in picture from the back fence. It's nice to throw in the tennis bag and use for outdoor video. I stick it on a gorilla pod and attach it to the fence normally. I wouldn't get the new version, it has less memory. I wish there were better options in this class but so far I haven't found anything with a stock lens that has a wide enough view.

corbind 03-01-2013 08:56 PM

Anyone else out there with camera suggestions, comments or info to share?

snoopy 03-02-2013 04:47 PM

If you live near a Frys you can get the Panasonic HC-V700MK for $350. The price isn't shown if you enter that model on their website. Look at page 5 of the circular they have posted.

beernutz 03-02-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corbind (Post 7236613)
Well I looked up your camera and it has (stock): Focal Length (Wide): 5.1 mm so I'll just have to remember 7.0 or greater. Do they normally list this spec in digital cameras or list degrees of view? I'm thinking I've seen degrees but dunno...

Be sure to post your review on that when you can. I've looked at that camera stick many times the QM is 2-5" too tall to fit in my tennis bag. So unless that pole can be shortened I'm gonna have to make my own.

I'm not sure about your question regarding specs.

Through trial and error I determined that I couldn't get the camera high enough to capture all four corners of the court and all of the action when mounted as high as I could reach when using the stock lens.

My new .70 wide angle lens is great in that I can get the whole court and all player action with the camera again mounted as high as I can reach on the fence. The biggest problem when mounting that high is that it is hard to see the little flip out screen so I can confirm exactly what view I'm recording since it is mounted about a foot or so above my head.

Once I start using the new QM-1 I expect the view will get even better. It does fold up to around 2 feet long so that it will fit in a tennis bag, at least according to their web site. I'll definitely post video when I get it.

corbind 03-04-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beernutz (Post 7247367)
Once I start using the new QM-1 I expect the view will get even better. It does fold up to around 2 feet long so that it will fit in a tennis bag, at least according to their web site. I'll definitely post video when I get it.

Did you get the mount yet and capture some video from 10' up? I'm still ISO the camera part of the equation in this thread but have spent a few hours trying to figure out if I'll get the QM or not. It's a fantastic item and the proprietor sent me some detailed pics with scale so I could see how it would fit in my bag. Money is not my concern only the additional weight and fitting in my bag.

Centryx 03-05-2013 05:15 AM

Have you considered a gopro 3?

corbind 03-11-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centryx (Post 7251928)
Have you considered a gopro 3?

I have read about the GoPro Hero 3 and there seems to be some reliability issues

White $200
Silver $300
Black $400

But all the reading in the world would be greatly augmented by comments from actual users of cameras in the tennis forums because they know what's working and what they wish they had bought.

beernutz 03-12-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corbind (Post 7251595)
Did you get the mount yet and capture some video from 10' up? I'm still ISO the camera part of the equation in this thread but have spent a few hours trying to figure out if I'll get the QM or not. It's a fantastic item and the proprietor sent me some detailed pics with scale so I could see how it would fit in my bag. Money is not my concern only the additional weight and fitting in my bag.

My birthday is in a few days (I requested the QM-1 as a gift) so I should have a review and some sample video using my videocamera with wide angle lens attached before the end of this weekend.

corbind 03-13-2013 11:47 AM

I happily look forward to your review.

I'm still not sure what camera to pick. I was in Best Buy last night for an hour looking at a few cameras and a couple video cameras. Was not pleased salesman (as always at that place) pushing things to make the comission.

Come on guys, make some more recommendations to help my quest!

bigant2984 03-13-2013 12:09 PM

get a kodak playport z5 with a $5 doller wide angle lens ! good to go !

beernutz 03-13-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corbind (Post 7270903)
I happily look forward to your review.

I'm still not sure what camera to pick. I was in Best Buy last night for an hour looking at a few cameras and a couple video cameras. Was not pleased salesman (as always at that place) pushing things to make the comission.

Come on guys, make some more recommendations to help my quest!

I know you are waiting for some additional video footage shot using the QM-1 but you might want to consider the package they offer for $217 shipped which includes:

QM-1 Portable Camera Mount
Kodak Playsport ZX-3 (color is black, with the included MediaArc Software)
Wide angle lens
16 GB SDHC Transcend Class 10 memory card.
Extra battery for a total of 3.5 hr recording time (orig. battery is about 2 hrs)

http://www.mytennistools.com/the-cam...camera-bundle/