Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Old MS200tt stringing machine worth buying? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455812)

Pbarrow 02-25-2013 05:56 AM

Old MS200tt stringing machine worth buying?

There is a guy in my neighborhood selling one of these that looks like its in good condition. I would like to learn to string, will this unit be okay for a beginner? He says it has not been used for years, what do I need to test to make sure it all works properly? The brand is LaserFibre.

coachrick 02-25-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pbarrow (Post 7235144)
There is a guy in my neighborhood selling one of these that looks like its in good condition. I would like to learn to string, will this unit be okay for a beginner? He says it has not been used for years, what do I need to test to make sure it all works properly? The brand is LaserFibre.

Well, it's not all THAT old(see the BR-3 or Serrano threads ;) ).
I'd be all over that machine unless something is wrong with it. I've had virtually zero problems with mine in 8 years or so.

Of course, the clamps need to function properly, turntable must move freely, all the mounting pieces should be in place, etc. If you could enlist the help of a friend familiar with the LF machines, that would be useful.

That would be a fantastic 'beginner' machine...and more! I've been stringing for 40 years and it's my choice.

Pbarrow 02-25-2013 07:42 AM

Thanks Coach. I can't enlist any help, but I think I will take a chance on it, looks pretty clean. Recommend any books or websites for a total newbie stringer with a new toy? Might need some "practice racquets" eh?

10SDad 02-25-2013 09:24 AM

If it doesn't work out for you let me know. I'm in the market for the exact unit (Laserfibre or Stringway brand).

Irvin 02-25-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pbarrow (Post 7235144)

Ask the guys you're buying it from to show you how to string a racket with it. Ask questions and take notes.

Power Player 02-25-2013 10:16 AM

I have this exact machine that I bought from a member here and I absolutely love it.

I string once a week or so, and am able to knock out a string job in 30 minutes that is dead accurate.

Seriously, get that machine and thank me later. It is incredible, and you will benefit from constant pull big time if you ever string poly.

beernutz 02-25-2013 11:14 AM

In the pictures I googled it looks like a tank. Do you mind revealing what he's asking for it?

coachrick 02-25-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pbarrow (Post 7235331)
Thanks Coach. I can't enlist any help, but I think I will take a chance on it, looks pretty clean. Recommend any books or websites for a total newbie stringer with a new toy? Might need some "practice racquets" eh?

P, what part of the world are you in? I might have some literature that would be helpful(when you aren't around the computer).

diredesire 02-25-2013 02:46 PM

Easy buy if the price isn't outrageous. I'd say it's worth it for anything lower than $600 TBH. You can do a lot worse under the $8-900 range, even. If it's in good shape, I'd jump on it if it's cheaper than that [which i'm going to guess it is].

Clamps are excellent, but with some drawback issues, mounting can be a little bit of a pain (slow), tensioner is awesome. Where is this machine being sold?

Edit: One of the MOST BEAUTIFUL things about this machine is that it requires SO LITTLE string to tension. There's no diablo, there's no rotating drum, if you can reach the tensioner, you're golden. Gripping is simple, elegant, and gentle. I've never worried about a string slipping. You always have the "backup" of wrapping the string around the tensioner in a U shape (away and then back into the machine).

Pbarrow 02-25-2013 06:16 PM

I paid up and brought her home today. After reading these replies I am a bit embarrassed at what I paid, and he handed a huge bag of strings too. I also feel a bit like the kid whose grandpa gave him a muscle car but I can't drive a stick! I am in Denver Coach, I'd you have anything that would help a newbie I would be most apprciative.

It looks and feels like a solid thing. Everything glides and slides and feels good. I will post pics if you guys are interested. Can I do that as a rookie forum member?

Andyroo10567 02-25-2013 06:19 PM

If you could post a video on how the tensioning works that would be great. I always wondered how it worked. . . And yes, you should be able to post pictures. ( Through imageshack )

Lakers4Life 02-25-2013 06:51 PM

I sold one a year or two ago for $500. They seem to sell for up to $600, used.

coachrick 02-25-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pbarrow (Post 7236429)
I paid up and brought her home today. After reading these replies I am a bit embarrassed at what I paid, and he handed a huge bag of strings too. I also feel a bit like the kid whose grandpa gave him a muscle car but I can't drive a stick! I am in Denver Coach, I'd you have anything that would help a newbie I would be most apprciative.

It looks and feels like a solid thing. Everything glides and slides and feels good. I will post pics if you guys are interested. Can I do that as a rookie forum member?

Nice purchase!
Send your mailing info to my email or PM on the site and I'll fire off some stuff.
10s Coach Rick at gmail dot com

diredesire 02-25-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

That's what I figure. If the guy is selling to a neighborhood buddy, it's obvious he wasn't ever in a rush to sell it, so I had to wager you got a steal on it ;)

Tell us the haul, so we can live vicariously through you ;)

Edit: If you want, I can probably dig up an example video of a frame strung on it by a friend... I might even have it on my hard drive. If I do i'll work on getting it up on youtube.

Edit 2: Found the video, will be up in half an hour or more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l1C7rLnJwI

Video of a friend stringing, it's currently processing at 10:26PM PST, not sure when it'll be up.... I uploaded a really long video and chopped it down, not sure how fast YT processing goes...

BlxTennis 02-25-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Please do a video of pulling a few strings showing how the clamps work. By the way, if you want to sell it, I am sure a lot of people are interested and that including me :)

Pbarrow 02-25-2013 08:24 PM

Thanks Dire, a video would be really great right now! I scored it for 300 bucks which seemed like a lot coparwd to other entry level stringers until I read the replies. Still sifting through the strings too to see if there are any gems to try. I will post some pics and video next few days for the curious.

verbouge 02-25-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pbarrow (Post 7236576)
Thanks Dire, a video would be really great right now! I scored it for 300 bucks which seemed like a lot coparwd to other entry level stringers until I read the replies. Still sifting through the strings too to see if there are any gems to try. I will post some pics and video next few days for the curious.

Dude, that's just not right!! Congratulations on the first and last machine you'll ever need! If you dive into it and take it seriously, you'll never want to let anyone handle your racquets again. I love my MS200. Love love love.

By the way, get some high quality spray lube from a bike shop and spray it from the top of the machine (not in the part of the head that grabs the string!) down into all the working parts. It will work much better that way. Personal experience.

BlxTennis 02-25-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

I keep reading how people get these Stringway/Laserfibre machine at great deals. I wish I would run into one. Good job.

diredesire 02-25-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

HAH. The LF machines should be compared more to something like a Gamma X-ST, but TBH I still don't think that's a fair comparison. The build quality and sturdiness of the machine is more comparable to something in the $1K price range, IMHO. This is NOTHING like your X-2s or Klippermates. I assume you got a fixed clamp model and the machine wasn't just called a 200TT by mistake. If you got a LF floating clamp WITH a fixed clamp machine, you got a ridiculous steal. The LF Floaters are the best in the biz. It's a wonderful investment, and you won't have to upgrade unless you're looking for some bells and whistles (pre-stretch, digital adjustment, etc).

Quote:

Originally Posted by verbouge (Post 7236614)
Dude, that's just not right!! Congratulations on the first and last machine you'll ever need! If you dive into it and take it seriously, you'll never want to let anyone handle your racquets again. I love my MS200. Love love love.

By the way, get some high quality spray lube from a bike shop and spray it from the top of the machine (not in the part of the head that grabs the string!) down into all the working parts. It will work much better that way. Personal experience.

I'll second this, my buddy above is a fan of LF machines, as am I (although I don't own one anymore...). I'd expand by saying bike lube generally refers to dry silicone spray, and it will GREATLY increase the smoothness of motion on both clamp base styles. By the way, did you get the single action, or double action clamps?

Another thing I did was to add some overgrip material to the underside of the black plastic mounting hold-downs. This prevented movement of the frame in a side to side manner.

Video is still halfway through uploading. unfortunately, one of the extremely important parts of the video (the very beginning) was cut off, as this was filmed on miniDV tapes, and it looks like the encoded version on my PC is of a tape that was over-written. If I find the original I'll post the start, but it's been more or less discussed to death, you'll figure it out ;)

Edit: Oh! Another thing that some people really like to do with this machine is to etch the tension marks into their bar. This removes the need to have the tension "ruler" on hand at all times... That came to mind when I reviewed footage.

Edit 2: Video is now viewable! I guess I didn't hit save in the editor before...?

Edit 3: I noticed that my buddy used the throat hold-downs over the triangle throat area rather than the throat bridge. This is what I'm talking about when I say you can keep the mounts out of the way of your working area. Some models actually differ in the mounts used, so this might not apply to you. Tensioner should be sort-of obvious from the video, and I left a few youtube comments to clarify.

Pbarrow 02-26-2013 07:06 PM

Welcome to machine

Thanks is much for the video, it gave me a little confidence. He is fast!

I cleaned her up a bit to get pictures taken, see link below for more pics. Looking for a good permanent home in the shop and a stand and light. Thanks for the suggestion on silicone, wow what a difference in the slides! I am ready to take the plunge and try my first string job. Probably a good idea to use junk string and an old racquet?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1042703...CM21hf3QkpLRKg