Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Dream machine(s), Featuresets, Wishlists (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455878)

diredesire 02-25-2013 03:05 PM

Dream machine(s), Featuresets, Wishlists

Hi All,

Something I've been mulling over in my head for a while is what my "dream machine" (or machines) would look like. When I say machines, I'm not specifically referring to stringing machines, this could include things like the RDC and/or diagnostic equipment. What are your criteria for a true "dream machine?" What do you find fantastic about X machine compared to Y machine? What is it lacking that would elevate it to "perfect" status?

Sort of separate/related question: Most home stringers won't have the ability to dedicate enough resources to purchase their own RDC. How much would you be willing to pay to have the functionality of an RDC? What's functionality like that worth to you? I did a google search and found it was roughly ~$5200 :shock::shock: Do you wish you had the ability to measure SBS/SW/Balance/Flex?

Is there anything ELSE you wish you had available to you in a home stringing setup? Stringing robots? The sky is the limit here, I want to hear about the crazy things that run through fellow stringers' heads while they're beating themselves up in front of their machines.

diredesire 02-25-2013 03:10 PM

I'll lead by example:

Things I love:
NEOS mounting stock adjustment. Long (good leverage) lever under the turn table that positively (and securely) releases and locks for quick, one sided adjustment.

Positive locking clamps (switch action, LF switch clamps, etc).

Super thin clamp heads

Unobtrusive mounting (in my experience, 2 point has been best, but there ARE excellent 6 point mounts).

Very short string length requirement for tensioning. Some grippers are absolutely ridiculous.

Pre-stretch function

Pull speed adjustment

Memory settings

Easy (push button) height adjustment

Wireless finger switch (instead of foot switch) [dream/not-cost effective feature]

Non-linear pull speed (very fast at low string resistance, pulls much slower when nearing tensioning, to improve accuracy)

Extremely fast sampling rate, on the order of 1/1000s. Constant re-adjustment, mimics "dropweight" smoothness

Edit: OH MY GOODNESS: MINIMAL THINGS TO CATCH STRINGS ON @#)%(*@#$@#%.

I haven't played with the Baiardo, but the ergonomic solutions sound nice

I'd spend $500-1000 on an RDC, but it really depends on business, if it's not useful data to me, I simply wouldn't buy one. To make it "worth it" to buy "just because," price would have to drop <$500.

I'd also like a networkable stringing machine where I can "capture" data from the string job (tension, overall job time, string used, frame, pattern, etc) and report out to an automated data capturing tool (for personal and customer records' purposes). This could be via a voice memo, or whatever.

If we're talking crazy: I think it'd be cool to have stringing robots, but that'd sort of put us all out of a hobby/job... This would theoretically lower labor prices if these robots weren't cost prohibitive to own, and I think this would be good for all tennis players in general. Can you imagine if labor only cost $2 and you could get your frame back within 10-20 mins [faster??]? I wouldn't even bother stringing anymore, especially if the human aspect (inconsistency) was removed from the process. I'd spend my money on strings :)

themitchmann 02-25-2013 03:11 PM

Just got a Prince 5000 (new green base...which is sick), but missed out on a used RDC. The 5000 is too new for me to criticize, but I'm sure I'll think of something to make it even better.

I'd love, at the very least, to measure Swing Weight. I would be happy with a Prince PTC. But the nerd in me wants to be able to measure flex!

diredesire 02-25-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themitchmann (Post 7236130)
Just got a Prince 5000 (new green base...which is sick), but missed out on a used RDC. The 5000 is too new for me to criticize, but I'm sure I'll think of something to make it even better.

I'd love, at the very least, to measure Swing Weight. I would be happy with a Prince PTC. But the nerd in me wants to be able to measure flex!

How much was the used RDC, out of curiosity? It's one of those things where the used market is pretty niche still, so I have no idea how the value holds over time..

themitchmann 02-25-2013 03:14 PM

I'd love some Bluetooth functionality in machines...so you could have an built in speaker for music, or a mic for phone calls, as well as the ability to use a phone or tablet to control all the machine settings (tension, pull speed, etc).

themitchmann 02-25-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire (Post 7236142)
How much was the used RDC, out of curiosity? It's one of those things where the used market is pretty niche still, so I have no idea how the value holds over time..

1 was $1,800 OBO and another $2,000 OBO.

diredesire 02-25-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themitchmann (Post 7236147)
1 was $1,800 OBO and another $2,000 OBO.

Yeah, that sounds pretty much right. If I was in a poor state of judgement I'd probably make an offer on one... and then cry myself to sleep knowing it'd never turn out to be cost effective... :cry::cry::cry: What area are you in, out of curiosity? I've never seen one in the PNW, but I don't exactly keep an eagle eye out for them.

themitchmann 02-25-2013 03:31 PM

Connecticut

MayDay 02-25-2013 03:36 PM

Stringing Monkey. (Trunk Monkey, in case anyone's been locked in a box since year 2003.)

Irvin 02-25-2013 04:26 PM

Alpha has the Accuswing 2 for $799 to measure SW and a small postal scale can measure total weight and balance very effectively. Why does a home stringer need an RDC?

diredesire 02-25-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7236263)
Alpha has the Accuswing 2 for $799 to measure SW and a small postal scale can measure total weight and balance very effectively. Why does a home stringer need an RDC?

There's definitely a point of diminishing returns, that's for sure. Is the $799 price point compelling to you? I'm more interested in dreams and/or cost points (sort of unrelated topics, i admit).

nyc 02-25-2013 04:58 PM

Personally, I would love an affordable machine (sub $200) that can give me SW/Balance/Flex/Weight measurements, and send those to my phone, so I can put them into my notes, or email to clients without having to enter the data myself.

The thing should also fold away small and neatly.

Enough of an Engineering/Design/marketing challenge for you?

For those String Geeks who can't/don't want to jump to higher priced stringing gear etc but have gotten into tweaking Frames.

themitchmann 02-25-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7236263)

But for another $1,000-1,200, I could do flex and stringbed stiffness. :)

Not a need...just a wish.

tennytive 02-26-2013 06:27 AM

I have an old Pioneer DC drop weight.

It would be great if there was some sort of gauge based on tension that would allow me to know exactly how high to raise the bar so that it would land horizontal on the first pull.

There are times when it happens, but with different strings, tensions, not as often or predictable as I would like.

That feature alone would really cut down on my stringing time.

struggle 02-26-2013 06:37 AM

fully automated.

AR15 02-26-2013 07:24 AM

I'd like to see string packaged and delivered woven. You would take the woven string and thread the mains and crosses from the inside of the frame. The string machine would stretch all of the mains and crosses at one time, and fuse the string ends to the racquet.

Irvin 02-26-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR15 (Post 7237290)
I'd like to see string packaged and delivered woven. You would take the woven string and thread the mains and crosses from the inside of the frame. The string machine would stretch all of the mains and crosses at one time, and fuse the string ends to the racquet.

Like a trampoline bed where you connect springs or bike spokes all around and tension the racket with a torque wrench so you don't need a stringing machine. LOL Never going to happen but it's a good idea. Or will it?

diredesire 02-26-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennytive (Post 7237164)
I have an old Pioneer DC drop weight.

It would be great if there was some sort of gauge based on tension that would allow me to know exactly how high to raise the bar so that it would land horizontal on the first pull.

There are times when it happens, but with different strings, tensions, not as often or predictable as I would like.

That feature alone would really cut down on my stringing time.

Ah, the pains of traditional dropweight stringers ;) I wish a mechanism like this was easy to design, it makes more sense to invest in an 'automatic dropweight' design, or a ratcheting dropweight, the adjustment is RELATIVELY painless compared to a complicated system like you have in mind. I imagine implementing something like that would start driving the prices of DW machines into the range where it makes sense just to go electric (Obviously this is just idle speculation, I am fully aware that this is 'dream features'). Do you utilize your ratcheting function?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR15 (Post 7237290)

This is actually a pretty crazy idea that would be really neat... It'd be even neater if you could hand tighten/crank down your string bed as it got more and more dead (although this would probably reveal that tighter isn't better...)

Irvin 02-26-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire (Post 7237502)
Ah, the pains of traditional dropweight stringers ;) I wish a mechanism like this was easy to design ...

What's so complicated? Seems to me you need a longer arm and a gripper that is always fixed to the radius of the point where the string goes to the racket is say 1/10th the radius of the arm at any angle. If you have a 6 pound weight (weight and bar) then you have 60 lbs. Automatic drop weight pure and simple.

But what you have is a fixed distance on the rotating device at the gripper. The effect length of the weight continuously changing above and below the bar so you leverage changes. I am not an engineer but that's not hard to figure out.

EDIT: BTW the reason for the longer bar is so you have more travel and you don't have to regrip the string.

AR15 02-26-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7237361)
Like a trampoline bed where you connect springs or bike spokes all around and tension the racket with a torque wrench so you don't need a stringing machine. LOL Never going to happen but it's a good idea. Or will it?

Or the head of rackets could be designed for string nets. The racket head could be split in half and it could have clamps that would hold the string net in place.

What if the racket head had an internal loop that the strings connected to? The loop could be tightened or loosened with a knob (above or below the grip).