Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What do you see when he takes backswing? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455888)

luvforty 02-25-2013 04:08 PM

What do you see when he takes backswing?

At the very minimum I want to see 2 shots. His and mine. His = anticipation. Mine = plan of my reply to a target. This usually makes timing a lot easier. And I flow better.

What is typically taught to the kids?

luvforty 02-28-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7236233)
At the very minimum I want to see 2 shots. His and mine. His = anticipation. Mine = plan of my reply to a target. This usually makes timing a lot easier. And I flow better.

What is typically taught to the kids?

nobody has a clue? I am surprised.

how do you envision a shot? nothing at all? just brain dead reacting to the ball?

that sounds dumb.

Ash_Smith 03-01-2013 12:03 AM

I think nobody has a clue because your question isn't clear? What exactly are you asking?

The Meat 03-01-2013 12:12 AM

Racquet mine ball hits, boom, spin it does alot, like omg. mY Oponet see ball, chase he does, boom, spin it back does to me.

Say Chi Sin Lo 03-01-2013 12:15 AM

When I take my back swing, I see a lot of pain and suffering on the other side of the net.

Was that what you were asking?

maggmaster 03-01-2013 02:38 AM

A beginner sees context clues that they then interpret to attempt to determine where the ball is going. You can see the pause as they move towards the spot and attempt to intercept the ball. An expert chunks the context clues so the process is invisible to the conscious mind. That is why most experts who are no also advanced coaches cannot explain to you how they do what they do. This phenomenon is called expert induced amnesia. So I am working towards seeing less and less from a backswing :-)

luvforty 03-01-2013 04:14 AM

sorry let me rephrase -

during a rally, at what point do you see your target -

when opp moves to ball;
when opp takes back swing;
when opp hits ball;
when ball flys to you;
when ball bounces on your side;
no target at all, poke and hope.

which one is it ?

Topspin Shot 03-01-2013 11:11 AM

If I've correctly figured out what you're asking, the answer is pretty simple. You should know where you're hitting the ball automatically once you realize where your opponent is going with it. Basically, there are guidelines for picking targets; you don't just pick them willy-nilly. If you have time to set up, you hit the ball where your opponent isn't. Pretty simple, right? If you don't have time, or if you're returning serve, play the ball crosscourt for time and safety. Hit approach shots down the line unless there is a huge opening crosscourt in which you can hit a winner. If you're in the "inside-out position," hitting inside out is crosscourt and pulling the trigger inside-in is down the line. These are the basic rules. You can always modify them a little, but watch the pros. They follow these rules almost all the time. Playing with these rules in mind simplifies things dramatically and should solve your problem. Good luck!