Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Tennis Summer Camp (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455955)

barringer97 02-26-2013 08:54 AM

Tennis Summer Camp

Looking at Camps for the summer.

At what age do you think it would be ok to have a full day? My daughter is 8, and it seems like 9 is a cut off for many programs.

She's pretty good, I guess she would be a solid green dot player (even though we play the regular ball now).

Costagirl 02-26-2013 12:35 PM

but what area are you in?

barringer97 02-27-2013 06:28 AM

We are in NorCal.

I'm just more worried about age. Is 8 too young to be doing an all day serious tennis camp?

Misterbill 02-27-2013 06:34 AM

I wonder what your daughter's opinion is

barringer97 02-27-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misterbill (Post 7239313)
I wonder what your daughter's opinion is

She's 8. She really doesn't have one.

That's why I'm wondering (asking) if it's suitable for her. She is going to do a bunch of different camps, mainly sports but she does have an art camp in there.

So, in regards to my tennis slot, is an all day tennis camp for an 8 year old too much.

Misterbill 02-27-2013 07:08 AM

My experience won't be relevant here because it involves eight year olds who have very strong opinions about how they want to spend their summers. Not saying their opinions are right or wrong, just that they have them.

In that context....which I realize is not applicable here.....the original list of possible activities would start with the things they are clamoring for. Then those would be whittled down. At that age if they are not really advocating to do a certain thing, it would not get on the list.

But that is not the situation here, I'll bow out now

barringer97 02-27-2013 09:09 AM

Got it. I'm more in the theory of exposing them to as many things as possible, then, as they get older (after experiencing them), then they can be opinionated about certain things.

3kids 02-27-2013 09:21 AM

I have 3 kids. Youngest boy was 7 last summer. We had the same debate but went ahead and put him in all day camp/training last summer since his older siblings were doing it. He was hesitant at first but after the first day loved it and went through most of the summer. Know that most all day programs for the little ones does not consist of hitting the entire day. There's a 1-2 hr lunch break and some games thrown in but my boy did enjoy himself along with significant improvement in his tennis.

barringer97 02-27-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3kids (Post 7239808)
I have 3 kids. Youngest boy was 7 last summer. We had the same debate but went ahead and put him in all day camp/training last summer since his older siblings were doing it. He was hesitant at first but after the first day loved it and went through most of the summer. Know that most all day programs for the little ones does not consist of hitting the entire day. There's a 1-2 hr lunch break and some games thrown in but my boy did enjoy himself along with significant improvement in his tennis.

Thank you for the response.

I think she can do it, it just makes me a little nervous that you have to be 9 (in most all day camps).

treeman10 02-27-2013 10:05 AM

8 year olds can certainly do all day tennis camps, but you do need to look at the various camps out there. Are they more recreational or for serious minded player/families? In Norcal, Nike camps are more recreational with lots of fun and games mixed in. Tons of kids. Tennis club camps tend to be similiar with more breaks and a more casual approach. Something like Eagle Fustar is camp for serious juniors that are all about tennis. Still fun, but not like the rec camps. Try to find camps that are for her level so she is with kids similar to her. If she is more recreational you don't want to put her in a camp where she is pounded and pushed all day. Some kids want that, others don't. And agree, hopefully it is something she wants to do. Usually camps are just a week at a time and you can sign up for one or several depending on how it goes.