Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Asics Gel Resolution 5 vs Gel Solution Speed Thoughts? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455958)

MeHere2PlayTennis 02-26-2013 09:08 AM

Asics Gel Resolution 5 vs Gel Solution Speed Thoughts?

Just wondering if anyone has noticed a difference between the Gel Resolution 5 versus the Gel Solution Speed shoes?

I use the gel resolutions, but the lighter speed seems enticing. Has anyone tried or noticed any issues like durability since the speed is lighter?

PeterFig 03-01-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeHere2PlayTennis (Post 7237562)
Just wondering if anyone has noticed a difference between the Gel Resolution 5 versus the Gel Solution Speed shoes?

I use the gel resolutions, but the lighter speed seems enticing. Has anyone tried or noticed any issues like durability since the speed is lighter?

I have both. Love both but prefer the speeds. The are actually surprisingly stable for a light shoe. Durability... Well if you are a toe dragger the speeds tear through the toe in no time at all unlike the resolution. Didn't notice any other durability differences.

hcb0804 09-02-2013 05:58 PM

Are the sizes the same? I wear an 11 in the Resolution; would I wear an 11 in the Solution Speed? The Solution Speed appears smaller / narrower??

PeterFig 09-02-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcb0804 (Post 7717643)
Are the sizes the same? I wear an 11 in the Resolution; would I wear an 11 in the Solution Speed? The Solution Speed appears smaller / narrower??

I think they are pretty much the same / similar. Resolution has more padding / rubber so it may just look larger / wider but for me I wear the same size in both (size 9). As a note I usually wear 9.5 for other brands like Nike, Adidas, etc.. so I for sure went 0.5 sizes down for these Asics.

hcb0804 09-02-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterFig (Post 7717944)
I think they are pretty much the same / similar. Resolution has more padding / rubber so it may just look larger / wider but for me I wear the same size in both (size 9). As a note I usually wear 9.5 for other brands like Nike, Adidas, etc.. so I for sure went 0.5 sizes down for these Asics.

Thanks for the feedback! ^^^^^^^^^

hcb0804 09-06-2013 04:24 PM

Size 11 fits me perfectly! Just got a pair of the solution speed clay and tried them out last night. Trust me....the speeds are better than Vapors in every way.

TennisMD 10-19-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeHere2PlayTennis (Post 7237562)

I am an ASICS fan and really like a light shoe do not need a ton of stability, nor do I breakdown shoes quickkly BUT A CRTIQUE FROM THE REVIEWERS IS TRACTION THIS CONCERNS ME ANY COMMENTS FROM THE BRD ON THIS ISSUE

grover 10-20-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisMD (Post 7830966)
I am an ASICS fan and really like a light shoe do not need a ton of stability, nor do I breakdown shoes quickkly BUT A CRTIQUE FROM THE REVIEWERS IS TRACTION THIS CONCERNS ME ANY COMMENTS FROM THE BRD ON THIS ISSUE

I own three pairs of the Resolution 4's and two pairs of the Solution Speeds. I am a former 5.0 player who now plays 4.5 and have never had any issues with traction while playing on either hard or clay courts.

murrfan1 10-20-2013 03:12 PM

I tried both and preferred the Resolution 5s. I have them in black and wear in rotation with My Vapor 9s and Lotto Raptor IVs.

zaskar1 10-22-2013 02:31 PM

res 5 verses speed soln

i went to the local SB and tried them both on, the speed seemed kind of
flimsy and light.
with the online chatter about wearing out in two weeks, i decided on the
res 5s, so far so good. i use a superfeet insole, so i have extra stability as well.
transitioned from the res 4s, had 2 pairs, didnt wear thru the sole, but they are very soft and squishy now, so i get tired from pounding on the hardcourts, and i am concerned about turning an ankle due to the loss of lateral support of the res 4s.

as we transition to the spring, i probably will pickup another pair of res5s

z

SCRAP IRON 10-23-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterFig (Post 7245615)
I have both. Love both but prefer the speeds. The are actually surprisingly stable for a light shoe. Durability... Well if you are a toe dragger the speeds tear through the toe in no time at all unlike the resolution. Didn't notice any other durability differences.

This poster is right on. Those "Speed" shoes are tremendous. I switched from Nike to Asics a few years ago. Nikes look great but do not fit in the heel like they did for many years.

Eltoro 10-23-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisMD (Post 7830966)

^Grover^ already addressed this but I have to agree with him. I switched to the Solution Speed and have absolutely no issues with traction. I'm not exactly a slouch - pretty athletic and play at 5.0 - and move pretty well, and I've never experienced slipping on a clean court. If the court has excessive ball fuzz from a ball machine, or does not get a thorough or regular cleaning, then you'll experience the same traction issues as any other shoes.

Crisp 10-23-2013 01:08 PM

I have used the speeds and reso's and for me it's the speed all the way. The weight of the reso once you have an orthotic in them is the main difference for me. I spend a lot of hours on hard court and the speed has the stability and lightness while the reso has the stability but lacks in the weight department. I really wanted the reso too but it's defs the speed for me.

parasailing 10-25-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcb0804 (Post 7732048)
Size 11 fits me perfectly! Just got a pair of the solution speed clay and tried them out last night. Trust me....the speeds are better than Vapors in every way.

I have tried both and find the Vapor 9s are better in support and stability category due to the shoe lace system they have in place. It secures your midfoot allowing for more stable movement.

The Speed solutions have better durability and are the lightest and fastest pair of shoes but give up a little in terms of cushioning. I find my feet are get a bit sore after 2 hours on the court with them compared to the Vapor 9s.

hcb0804 10-25-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parasailing (Post 7846538)
I have tried both and find the Vapor 9s are better in support and stability category due to the shoe lace system they have in place. It secures your midfoot allowing for more stable movement.

The Speed solutions have better durability and are the lightest and fastest pair of shoes but give up a little in terms of cushioning. I find my feet are get a bit sore after 2 hours on the court with them compared to the Vapor 9s.

No issues with that for me. I played 6 matches in the Speeds last weekend at the Georgia 55 + State Championship in Savannah GA. Feet felt great all weekend.

Spin Doctor 10-26-2013 09:29 AM

Surprised to see so many people liking this shoe (and wearing them on the ATP apparently). I tried these on in store but I hated the plastic piece in the arch area. It made the shoe feel like a running shoe and I felt higher off the ground vs. the resolutions. Admitedly, I haven't worn these on court so take it a grain of salt. I can definitely see the appeal of the lower weight though.