Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What's up with my first serve? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455985)

dandyroddick99 02-26-2013 02:07 PM

What's up with my first serve?

Hey guys, wonder if you can help.
I'm a 17 year old from the UK starting on the ITF Futures tour this year. I'm 6 foot 5 and really should have a killer first serve, but it's only really up to about 110mph if I'm lucky! I know I should be winning a lot more service games than I am doing and I just can't get to the bottom of the problem! I have a problem with the joint in my shoulder and it moves out of positions if I hit big when I'm not warm... Any ideas on what I should do?
Cheers!

LeeD 02-26-2013 02:11 PM

Warm up your shoulder before getting on the court, then hit 10 three quarter speed serves before going for the big ones.
Post vid.
Forget the big one, go for topspin serves that hit wide corners and body shots.

tennis_balla 02-26-2013 02:14 PM

LeeD 02-26-2013 02:16 PM

Says the guy who is 6'6" and did the Q and Futures tour a while back.....

tennis_balla 02-26-2013 02:19 PM

Nope and nope.

mikeler 02-26-2013 02:42 PM

Make sure your arm is nice and loose. You probably are muscling the ball in an attempt to up your velocity which is counter productive.

TomT 02-27-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dandyroddick99 (Post 7238205)
I'm a 17 year old from the UK starting on the ITF Futures tour this year. I'm 6 foot 5 and really should have a killer first serve, but it's only really up to about 110mph if I'm lucky! I know I should be winning a lot more service games than I am doing and I just can't get to the bottom of the problem! I have a problem with the joint in my shoulder and it moves out of positions if I hit big when I'm not warm... Any ideas on what I should do?
Cheers!

Only 110 mph? What do you think the average ATP first serve mph is? You're 17 for chrissakes. Be patient. If you're hitting 110 mph serves now, then ... well, I think you have a pretty bright future in tennis. I hope that wasn't too positive for you. :)

onehandbh 02-27-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Cheers!

Record a video of your serve and post it. If you're not sure how to post it,
just record it and then send it to me and I'll upload it for you.

People will have a better idea on advice once they see your serve.

watungga 02-28-2013 06:38 PM

Problem with shoulder joint when hitting big.

That's the problem for tossing the ball just above your head where you're standing. The more out front the ball is hit, the more power you will get with only teenyweeney bit of muscles exertion.

Try tossing more to the front. Don't change your style. But use your two legs ready to jump forward and reach out to the ball.

LeeD 02-28-2013 06:39 PM

Wow, you could diagnose without seein this player serve!
Good for you.

OTMPut 02-28-2013 06:49 PM

if the focus is hitting bigger and bigger serves, you might just hit bigger serves. it may not help win your service games.

seems like real issue is trouble holding service games?

watungga 02-28-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7243034)
Wow, you could diagnose without seein this player serve!
Good for you.

But its really a good guess for someone as athletic as the OP.

tennis_balla 03-01-2013 12:26 AM

That's how good the experts are on here. They can diagnose and correct a persons stroke flaw without ever seeing them play, knowing anything about them and with limited information about that particular stroke. Its like a 6th sense.

Wish I had all this great advice when I was a junior....

Ash_Smith 03-01-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Cheers!

If you're 17, from the UK and and about to play ITF's then you're probably training at an iHPC or at least an HPC - which should mean you have some very good coaching resource on your doorstep, try speaking to them rather than asking on here where you'll get replies with absolutely no basis or background (especially seeing as you've not posted a video).

Good luck though

Cheers

Chas Tennis 03-01-2013 04:58 AM

Some related information in Health & Fitness forum, be certain to view the Ellenbecker video -
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456191

Get some high speed videos of your serve and compare your internal shoulder rotation to those of pro servers.

240 fps shutter speed probably 1/10,000 sec.
https://vimeo.com/27528701

tommyfr 03-06-2013 09:26 PM

You might have good coach already now, but somehow the first serve is not improving.
Then its good to send it here, a video clip of like 3 serves, pref in slomo.

You might get excellent advice here as quite a few people here have very good knowledge about technique, incl Ash. You just need to filter it, as some ignorants try to post advice also.

On another note.... 110 m/hour...that what some top ATP players do during a match, like #5 David Ferrer. Placement, spin, variation are all very important....and there are more factors related to holding serve, like recovery, the second ball, and your overall competence.