Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   windows 8 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=456008)

Wilsonbro11 02-26-2013 05:53 PM

windows 8

For all those people with the pc are you guys going to update your computer to windows 8 or did you already?

JoeR 02-26-2013 06:08 PM

No plans on updating to Wndows 8, nor will I, since I have no desire to buy a touch screen monitor.

mikeler 02-27-2013 04:37 AM

I got a small Windows 8 laptop/touch screen for my birthday. It is pretty cool, but I still tend to grab the MacBook Air when I use my computer at home. The user interface is designed fairly well. I was expecting to hate it based on all the reviews I read.

LuckyR 02-27-2013 07:22 AM

Windows OS are either terrible or decent. When I have a decent one, I wait for the conscensus as to whether the next one (usually terrible) is worth it before switching. As it turns out the decent ones are so infrequent that I don't really update the software, I am updating the computer itself so it comes already installed (not updated). Long story short, Windows 7 is decent, why change?

mikeler 02-27-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 7239446)
Windows OS are either terrible or decent. When I have a decent one, I wait for the conscensus as to whether the next one (usually terrible) is worth it before switching. As it turns out the decent ones are so infrequent that I don't really update the software, I am updating the computer itself so it comes already installed (not updated). Long story short, Windows 7 is decent, why change?

If I had Windows 7, I would not pay for an upgrade to 8.

LuckyR 02-27-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7239454)
If I had Windows 7, I would not pay for an upgrade to 8.

Agreed. If I had Vista, I would have already upgraded to 7, if for some crazy reason I didn't, I would upgrade to 8, though the hardware probably couldn't run it. Therefore I don't understand why anyone would upgrade to it. Buy a new machine with it already installed? Sure, but upgrade? Nope.

goober 02-27-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 7239469)
Agreed. If I had Vista, I would have already upgraded to 7, if for some crazy reason I didn't, I would upgrade to 8, though the hardware probably couldn't run it. Therefore I don't understand why anyone would upgrade to it. Buy a new machine with it already installed? Sure, but upgrade? Nope.

A lot of businesses are still using XP. My daughter's computer has vista on it. With the last service pack it has never been a problem. I am not upgrading to Windows 8.

LuckyR 02-27-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 7239480)
A lot of businesses are still using XP. My daughter's computer has vista on it. With the last service pack it has never been a problem. I am not upgrading to Windows 8.

Yup, XP was decent (IMO the first really beyond decent Win OS for the home user). I never got Vista (terrible initially) so I have no info on whether it became decent in later incarnations. Though something tells me your daughter is not a power user.

goober 02-27-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 7239488)
Yup, XP was decent (IMO the first really beyond decent Win OS for the home user). I never got Vista (terrible initially) so I have no info on whether it became decent in later incarnations. Though something tells me your daughter is not a power user.

Intially vista was bad and I only had it because it came with a new computer. After the second service pack it was fine. I don't know if she is power user. Mostly just does regular school age stuff- internet, some games, some video editing. In general I find that the best policy for me is if my OS is working fine to not upgrade until I am forced to.

LuckyR 02-27-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 7239519)
Intially vista was bad and I only had it because it came with a new computer. After the second service pack it was fine. I don't know if she is power user. Mostly just does regular school age stuff- internet, some games, some video editing. In general I find that the best policy for me is if my OS is working fine to not upgrade until I am forced to.

You and me too, brother.

fundrazer 02-27-2013 08:16 AM

Usually every other iteration of Windows is a decent one. 7 was good but 8 is horribly annoying. Can't really think of anyone that likes it for a desktop home PC. The whole initial layout makes it feel like some mobile operating system.

mikeler 02-27-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 7239614)
You and me too, brother.

+2 on this strategy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fundrazer (Post 7239626)
Usually every other iteration of Windows is a decent one. 7 was good but 8 is horribly annoying. Can't really think of anyone that likes it for a desktop home PC. The whole initial layout makes it feel like some mobile operating system.

It does seem to work out that way. MS does not like to fix issues, they would rather spend more time monkeying with the GUI. :(

sureshs 02-27-2013 09:02 AM

Win 7 is OK

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-27-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 7239469)

Actually, I think if your machine could run Vista, then it'll run Windows 7 perfectly fine as well. Windows 7 is a lot like Vista, except it wasn't all broken.

LuckyR 02-27-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7239757)
Actually, I think if your machine could run Vista, then it'll run Windows 7 perfectly fine as well. Windows 7 is a lot like Vista, except it wasn't all broken.

I agree, but I was refering to a Vista machine running 8.

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-27-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 7239904)
I agree, but I was refering to a Vista machine running 8.

Yeah... I'm not sold on Microsoft and their touch interface (I'm not sold on Microsoft on anything).

BlackSilver 02-27-2013 01:24 PM

I don't use Windows currently